Anyone into mountain bikes

amRam

Contributor
Veteran XX
Thinking about getting a hardtail for trails n shit. I brought my Kona city bike to the camp and it's sketchy as fuck on the forest trails. Then I realized this might actually be lots of fun. What should I get for a thousand bucks?

Shoes a set of spd pedals, helmet, full finger gloves, and a bike to go with it.

The spd's will keep your feet on the goddamn pedals and your shins happy. The helmet and gloves will keep your body happy.

Hardtails are a great way to get into it. You don't need any fancy suspension or other nonsense yet, and a hard tail will out climb anything out there.

Last edited:
lemon is the guy we need to bring to this thread; he's into mountain biking... and was even in some races!!!
I did a quick search, but all i can find is a bunch of vanster talking about how mary can beat the poodle lemon biking with one tit tied behind her back...

About to buy an ebike mtn bike. Rode 6 hours over every mountain in Telluride in an afternoon. So much fun in addition to a great work out.

Fixed for lemon, nazi speller.

Last edited:
I was heavy into mountain biking when I was graduating hs...

Best advice is go to a local bike shop. Essentially you’re buying a set of components...you can spend the same amount of money at a bike shop and Canadian tire and end up with a vastly superior bike.

Probably wise doing hard tail to start...dualies aren’t the best way to get from a to b and pretty unnecessary unless you’re doing more advanced downhill shit.

Basically there are tiers in quality and features; compare the tier of brakes, shifters, front and rear derailers...try out the shimano website to understand their “lines” of components and you’ll be able to compare the bikes at the store yourself.

For me I found a huge advantage in clipless pedals too. Although best to practice clipping in and out at home on the lawn before you just slowly keel over like an idiot when you try to stop and a red light.

There's also a custom aluminum bike buried in there. No paint or clear coat I need to dig out when I insulate the rest of the garage. I robbed parts of i to fix the red cannondale because it was faster and I could out climb anyone on it.

a28012ca3fbf78a6b6599516ede7151b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
can you wheelie on a mountain bike? i have a gopro and want to start a wheelie kay type channel

I have had a tone of different bikes overt the years. I was living in Boulder, CO around the time that Rock Shox came out.

Some of my friends had them but at the time, I had a bike that turned out to be my favorite all time bike. I still have it. It needs work.

And here is the make and model:

Diamondback Apex. This was before they were bought and cheapened up.

iu

I added some Zoom brahma bars -
look like this
s-l300.jpg

I didn't want to clip in like some of my friends - who I watched take some amazing spills on the trails.

So, I had tight rat traps
iu

No suspension front or back.

I really should dust that thing off.

At the time, we had a Specialized bikes in town. Probably still does.

Some of the names I remember were Rockhoppers and Stumpjumpers.

Rockhoppers might be the best classic mountain bike of all time.

iu

iu

Good times. Great bikes. I have always preferred steel.

Ahhh member berries

can you wheelie on a mountain bike? i have a gopro and want to start a wheelie kay type channel

You cannot wheelie on a stoner beach cruiser because then your board's tail would crater on the concrete.

I bought a Diamond Back at Costco for my wife, but it looks nothing like Plasmatics. In Mazatlan we have the Malacon; an 18 mile long wide sidewalk that runs the length of the coast... fairly flat. I stoner beach bike cruise it.
9zrxPid.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, don't buy from Costco. The last few times I was there the bikes were assembled with the handlebars upside down...

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Back