[Anti Virus] Which one should I buy?

:lol: buy an anti-virus.

Why don't you get a subscription to heat.net while you're at it

^ rolls eyes

I do agree with your "also use malwarebytes, combofix, ccleaner." statement for actually removing a virus, although you did leave out Hijackthis and Autoruns. If you're running combofix, autoruns wouldn't be necessary for the actual removal phase, although it is still a useful program for tune-up purposes.

My point is that there is absolutely no need to have active protection on your computer AT ALL, and the only reason to use those programs, though effective, is if you're an idiot in the first place. If you are totally incompetent and absolutely incapable of browsing the web without blundering into a virus I would probably just go with a pirated version of MBAM, because it actually works.

I do agree with your "also use malwarebytes, combofix, ccleaner." statement for actually removing a virus, although you did leave out Hijackthis and Autoruns. If you're running combofix, autoruns wouldn't be necessary for the actual removal phase, although it is still a useful program for tune-up purposes.

My point is that there is absolutely no need to have active protection on your computer AT ALL, and the only reason to use those programs, though effective, is if you're an idiot in the first place. If you are totally incompetent and absolutely incapable of browsing the web without blundering into a virus I would probably just go with a pirated version of MBAM, because it actually works.

I'd put ten bucks on you have at least two instances of viruses on your PC, right now.

Some people don't understand that a virus scanner is different from a Malware protector.
The new threat in this world is from Malware. There are programs that come into through the net and trick you into clicking on a link that installs a root kit into your machine that's impossible to get off. Then you get all those popups saying your computer is infected and you need to buy a virus scanner (that's fake).

Anti MalwareBytes is good and top rated.

Download and run the Norton Removal Tool. Norton takes over your entire computer and makes it a Norton computer, like a whole new operating system. Get rid of it.

Last edited:
Some people don't understand that a virus scanner is different from a Malware protector.
The new threat in this world is from Malware. There are programs that come into through the net and trick you into clicking on a link that installs a root kit into your machine that's impossible to get off. Then you get all those popups saying your computer is infected and you need to buy a virus scanner (that's fake).

Anti MalwareBytes is good and top rated.

trustport does it all...virus malware spyware etc.

I can't remember the last time my anti-virus actually caught anything, and I've never had one.

Having a good firewall and a smart user is more important. Fortunately I get Symantec Endpoint Protection free from work. It is actually decent and not too much of a hog. I wouldn't pay for it though.

Yes MSE and this thread is ended.

I want to change the subject. Can we all agree that AVG is a flaming turd and vow to never recommend to anyone ever again? Thanks.

This isn't 2002, AVG still sucks.

Last time I had a virus was probably 14 years ago. It was the Chernobyl virus which was just formatted your hard drive.

I booted up one day and it just said no OS found. I looked up what happened, and was like thanks virus for already reformatting.

Last time I had a virus was probably 14 years ago. It was the Chernobyl virus which was just formatted your hard drive.

I booted up one day and it just said no OS found. I looked up what happened, and was like thanks virus for already reformatting.

You got the light variant. Some variants corrupted the CMOS. I got that variant. Talk about suck.

So should I just send you my paypal information or would you prefer to formalize your wager first.

i roll like tanelorn. haven't run an active av in 2½ years and no av/rootkitsniffer/mwsw has found anything except tracking cookies. basically you need half a brain and some basic precautions.

Yes MSE and this thread is ended.

I want to change the subject. Can we all agree that AVG is a flaming turd and vow to never recommend to anyone ever again? Thanks.

This isn't 2002, AVG still sucks.

Yes, we can agree. The problem is, the operating systems are behind the times, so is M$ when it comes to updates. When you install an operating system, it nags you to install an anti-virus program. Yet that's already outdated unless we're talking about an all-in-one as mentioned up above.

Malware is the threat. M$, the web browsers, and the ISPs need to stop Malware, but they only do a little. ISPs stop viruses in e-mail by checking e-mail when using the web. I've seen Firefox and Google warn that a page is a known threat, and to not go there. More of that is needed.

Back