Alien Paradise Lost

Morganstern

Veteran XV
So I saw Alien Covenant last night. After thinking about certain elements, the movie presents a number of figures (David, Walter, and the Chick) as classic archetypes from Paradise Lost.

You can think of Weyland as the uncaring creator (God)
David represents Lucifer, "How the proud have fallen."
Walter & the Chick represent Adam and Eve.

Think back to the interaction between Walter, David, and the Flute. David a.k.a Lucifer tempts him with knowledge, even though his knowledge is flawed (thinking "Ozymandias" was written by Byron). Furthermore, the book is even quoted in the movie: "Better to reign in hell than serve in heaven," and is uttered by none other than David.

David has been cast down on a planet and slowly turns it into hell. The capital itself is very hellish looking. David is also interested in crafting the perfect evil, which is a form of man (as Lucifer seeks to corrupt man). Interestingly enough you could also look at Walter and David as sort of Cain and Abel as well.

Anyway, just some thoughts on the film. I enjoyed it, but figured out the ending the moment Walter didn't help her on top of the craft (vague enough to not warrant spoilers I believe).

:harambe:

are you shitting me

the well-publicized original title was paradise lost and the movie beats you over the head with this metaphor, one character literally calls david the devil and david fucking quotes one of the most famous lines of english literature

i think my dog could pick this out, you are a sad excuse for an english major

if anyone in their right mind doesn't figure out that ending twist ten minutes before it happens, they are probably retarded and should go back to watching baby bosses

Yeah that was the title of the movie, changed before release but pretty well publicized that it was the title for a while

Ending was no surprise at all, was strongly guessing it the moment David cut his hair to match Walter. Well actually as soon as David was revealed I figured something would happen with the "twins" but wasn't much after that that it seemed clear he'd try to get on the colony ship.

For a while I thought the surprise ending was going to be that the surviving android wasn't David. It seemed so obvious that it was him by that point.

I was trying to think back, did Daniels ever talk to David after he cut his hair? Can't remember if they crossed paths after everyone started splitting up and David and the proto alien thing started offing everyone in the city 

Yeah, I watched the movie with my gf and she also got annoyed by the hair cut flaws.

Women. What else

They had some other titles that were rejected

Alien: Two Androids Playing The Skin Flute

Bio-Engineering an Alien, Course Level 900

Alien: One Mans Obsession With Ruining a Movie From 1979

Alien: You Won't Give a Hot Shit About Anyone Dying In This Film

P.S. Walter didn't have the gaping nail hole under his chin.

This trash made money so hey BRING ON THE SEQUEL!

It wasn't as good as it could have been, but still good enough. Maybe they'll do a directors cut and improve some of the plot holes. I think they did that with prometheus didn't they? Like there was a really important extra first few minutes of the movie with the Engineers that they had cut in the theatrical release, but after watching it the movie made 1000x more sense. :shrug:

it was not very good. not intense, not scary, not emotional, not much at all... about as interesting as kong lol

edit: but both were a helluva lot better than wonder woman

So I saw Alien Covenant last night. After thinking about certain elements, the movie presents a number of figures (David, Walter, and the Chick) as classic archetypes from Paradise Lost.

You can think of Weyland as the uncaring creator (God)
David represents Lucifer, "How the proud have fallen."
Walter & the Chick represent Adam and Eve.

Think back to the interaction between Walter, David, and the Flute. David a.k.a Lucifer tempts him with knowledge, even though his knowledge is flawed (thinking "Ozymandias" was written by Byron). Furthermore, the book is even quoted in the movie: "Better to reign in hell than serve in heaven," and is uttered by none other than David.

David has been cast down on a planet and slowly turns it into hell. The capital itself is very hellish looking. David is also interested in crafting the perfect evil, which is a form of man (as Lucifer seeks to corrupt man). Interestingly enough you could also look at Walter and David as sort of Cain and Abel as well.

Anyway, just some thoughts on the film. I enjoyed it, but figured out the ending the moment Walter didn't help her on top of the craft (vague enough to not warrant spoilers I believe).

:harambe:

The original title of the film was going to be Alien: Paradise Lost at one point before they realized how fucking stupid that would be for a title.

Anyway, yeah it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to see the connection but thanks for sharing your unoriginal thoughts.

In the actual alien: covenant thread I posted how I think the movie should have ended. I'm not going to repost it in this abomination of a thread.

Back