[air-drying laundry wtf] clothes are hard/crusty

SpicyMcHaggis

Veteran X
anyone know how i can combat this misery?

i went back to the US for 3 weeks, and one of the best parts about being back was having a clothes-dryer and pulling my still-warm clothes out feeling all puffy and cloudlike.

now that i'm back in seoul, since apparently only washing machines exist here, i'm forced to air-dry my shit on a drying rack/hangers. after i wash the stuff, i pull it out of the machine and it's damp (not wet), and then i put it on up to dry.

so, to anyone who dries their clothes without a dryer, how can i prevent my stuff from getting crusty/hard? is it a function of the water, or just the air-drying process? it's not like they're actually covered in shit, but they feel almost abrasive, like when you dry a sweaty shirt without cleaning it.

It's probably because the water there is shitty and it leaves a layer of shit on your clothes.

fabric softener lessens it, but it's still apparent. i'm curious if there's a magical technique that i'm not doing, or if it's just a function of water having more minerals/detergent not washing out completely or something like that.

edit: jizz isn't fabric softener?

Last edited:
1) Could be hard water (the action of the dryer usually makes it a non-issue).
2) Air drying outside can help.
3) Put one of those tumble ball things in the washer to help beat the softness into the clothes and then tell them the money is on the dresser when it's done...

I grew up with clothesline-dried stuff in the summer when I was a kid, it always was like that. The towels bugged me the most, they weren't soft until you used them once. Sorry man, good luck.

edit: we didn't use fabric softener :(

Last edited:
Back