About to pull the trigger on a new gaming system for Star Citizen

Flunky

Contributor
Veteran XX
tell me how much this config sucks. no planned overclocking. starting from scratch (no re-used components from an older system). focus on future proofing for 5 year's use (CPU/memory/vid card/M.2 sata upgrades).

any reason not to go with win 8?

this config is about $1700 shipped.

CAS: Corsair Carbide 300R w/ USB 3.0 w/ default fans
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-5820K Six-Core 3.30GHz 15MB Intel Smart Cache LGA2011-V3
FAN: Corsair Hydro Series H60 High Performance Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Single Standard 120MM Fan)
HDD: 250GB Samsung 840 EVO Series SATA-III 6.0Gb/s SSD - 540MB/s Read & 520MB/s Write (Single Drive)
MEMORY: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR4/2400MHz Memory (GSKILL Ripjaws 4)
MOTHERBOARD: ASRock X99 Extreme4 ATX w/Intel GbeLAN, 3x Gen3 PCIe x16, 2 PCIe x1, 1x Ultra M.2, 10x SATA 6GB/s
POWERSUPPLY: 750 Watts - Corsair CX750 750W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
VIDEO: EVGA Superclocked NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4GB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 Video Card (Maxwell) (Single Card)

I'm with Win 8 and it works great but It took me a few months to get over the annoyances. Go with the latest OS. I noticed that it may even work better than Win 7 for gaming.

Awesome system. Perhaps you'd want to make that PSU gold certified. Errthing else looks sexy

doesnt a gold just more efficient? or is it more reliable and better from a system health standpoint?

also, with no OC, I am not adding all the case fans. I figure the liquid system for the Haswell-E is enough. anyone agree?

Last edited:
Eh.. Efficiency.If you live in a warm climate and run the AC a lot, a more efficient PS puts less of a thermal load on the AC.

What's a few pennies extra on a sweet system like this man. I went for Gold myself.
There's only an estimated 2% gain from Bronze to Gold after all.

Win8.1 + Start8 is basically a better Win7.

$5 for Start8, DRM free. Highly recommended.

I see nothing wrong with your build other than you may as well throw in for 16GB RAM. Unless you're overclocking the Corsair water cooler might be overkill, so you could save a few bucks there. But it does increase the e-penis factor so... up to you.

I had read that Intel recommends that the Haswell-E chips should be water cooled - they dont ship with a basic fan or any cooling.

Looking to do the same thing, still picking out the parts.

Win 8.1 is good, you can use Classic Shell to make it behave like Win7.

I'll spend a little bit more and I like Asus.

CAS: Already have one. Gutting an older machine.
FAN: Still looking.
CPU: Intel Core i7-5930
HDD: 240G SSD (still looking) and a 3TB WD storage drive
Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe
Memory: 16Gb Corsair
Power Supply: 750W Corsair
Video card: Still looking.
Monitor: Asus 24" (dual) (still looking)

I could basically order the MB, CPU, memory, PS, and start building. What I do, is go on NewEgg, Lookup the CPUs, read the reviews, and look at their system specs. Continue doing this on the other parts with the highest eggs, and those are the parts I go with. Order from Newegg or Amazon.

Last edited:
not for a while. but my old machine died so I configured something that looks like it'll play it well or decently now.

hopefully this machine won't be a total dog by the time it comes out. but if it is, I figure it will have taken so long that my initial small investment into Star Citizen will be worthless anyway.

Would Star Citizen benefit from the 6 cpu cores?

For a gaming rig I'd think something like the i7-4970K would be a better choice

edit: I suppose for gaming, there's probably not much noticeable difference between the two.

Last edited:
the new Nvidia cards use a lot less power. I think the 750 will be enough for now if I do SLI, but I can just change that later if I need to.

SC will benefit from the 6 cores as it uses CryEngine.

imo get a beefier psu so u can throw in another 970 at some point

So you welcome SLI ehhh
Do you have duals?

I'm tempted to sell my 770 acx and getting a 970.
Ooor, just get a second 770 acx for $300 or less and go SLI.

Also, if you want to stick with a small radiator water cooler, go with the Coolermaster Nepton 140xl. Much better than the H60 and shouldn't be that much more expensive.

Back