Manly shit

chainsaw-carving-knife-1.jpg

Opinel No 112 INOX paring knife and stuff...
Spoiler

The company, Coolina, has Helen in operations:
helen_d04f2610-9ec6-48c6-83fa-bcc386026813_480x480.png

More:
https://coolinastore.com/pages/our-story

What a pretty Culera :deal:

I wonder if many of these people even exist?

Coolina mentions being "Coolina US" but uses Chinese manufactured items.
They have a video that looks like a US marketing style but this does not appear to be how they manufacture. The backing music sounds Chinese too.

Serbian Chefs and Chinese Tycoons FTW?

I imagine that the Chinese company behind the goods also runs sites like:
Knife Pickers - Pick Your Perfect Knife

That looks like it was a corporate creation made to look like a private review site.

Oh the internet...

Last edited:
oh man you don't want any part of prickly heat. Imagine the feel of jock itch, ingrown hair and razor bumps all in one sweaty package

iu

Ran into a place that makes blades right here in Portland.
Steelport.

Even their billet steel is US made.
iu

Will head down to their shop and pick a couple up. Small place. About 10 ees. Nice to support local biz and get stuff crafted in town.

Story...

Last edited:
A few weeks/months ago, a comment was made about compositing so I decided I too would do it because of the asshole trees I have and made a big pile. It's been decomposing as the weeks have passed but I wanted to get this pile into something more manageable than a big ole pile on the lawn.
urIjsrF.jpg

Was bigger.

Two weeks ago, I bought some framing 2x4s and 4x4s to build a bin for it and you guessed it, burnt them all. Once I sanded the ash off, I put raw tung oil on all of them because the last thing I want is for chemicals mixing with the soil I want to make to grow food in.
2cfCn9n.jpg

A few days ago, I dug the post holes.
4jiTIpO.jpg

On Saturday, I got to work building the compost bin.
Z3uOCvH.jpg

6HelOtf.jpg

zYBfEI2.jpg

GhevHfH.jpg

sLOglLZ.jpg

Yesterday, I added the screen and the rail caps.
uA5oUtb.jpg

5XPJCf8.jpg

Amazing what cheap ass framing lumber can look like.

Anyways, I still need to make the removable upper front fence for when the pile is very big. I will most likely do that this week. I am concerned about burning the pre-oiled wood though so I am not too sure how I am going to go about that yet. Ill upate it when I finish.

Last edited:
iu

Ran into a place that makes blades right here in Portland.
Steelport.

You broke my heart when you posted that the Coolina knives are manufactured in China. After that crippling bit of knowledge, I looked up Misen and Hexclad-- both are also made in China, so that's a hard no to all three of them.

I guess it's down to Wusthof (Germany), Global (Japan), or J.A. Henckels (Germany)

I've had my Cutco cleaver for 24 years, and while the tang runs the full length of the handle, and it holds a sharp edge really well, I've had a bit of a mental block against it when I learned it was stamped.

274678586_10160075247874267_8039479033749050766_n.jpg

You broke my heart when you posted that the Coolina knives are manufactured in China. After that crippling bit of knowledge, I looked up Misen and Hexclad-- both are also made in China, so that's a hard no to all three of them.

I guess it's down to Wusthof (Germany), Global (Japan), or J.A. Henckels (Germany)

I've had my Cutco cleaver for 24 years, and while the tang runs the full length of the handle, and it holds a sharp edge really well, I've had a bit of a mental block against it when I learned it was stamped.

274678586_10160075247874267_8039479033749050766_n.jpg

It's tough. I have always been a sucker for walking into a place where things are being made, saying "hello" to the crew, maybe meeting the owner and picking something up. It's time for an update. I know I'll feel good about it even if it's not the "best of the best".

I'll post some pics when I get down there and see what this place is about.
I bitch and whine about Portland because I hate to see what has happened but we still have some great companies.

PDX also has Benchmade right here. Along with Leatherman. Gerber was also founded in PDX back in 1939. All design is done here and some of the Gerber gear is still made here.

It was you posting that made me start thinking about a new knife in the kitchen so - thanks for that ;)

i got a gerber knife out of an auction car glovebox a few months back

ching chang chinablade

tbh inferior 2 the cornwell truck giveaway ching chang chinese mtech i got (it has some iranian propaganda skull-over-usa-flag theme that is apparently perceived as patriotic by the lifted-tundra-driving cube dwellers it's clearly marketed 4)

tbf since probly the mid 1890s "made in portland" has more racist, more communist, more imperialist implications than "made in china" has ever carried so gerber is moving toward the better side of things

slowly

Last edited:
4 real tho i'm sad steelport is on my canceled list b/c they're portlanders and if they're portlanders they're antifa and if they're antifa they're, well, you know...

ugly ppl w/ bad skin, bad taste in entertainment media (e.g. anime fans), bad hygiene and they're always a fking drag 2 hang out w/

and they hate america so they must not want my american usa federal reserve petrodollars

man i wish pueblo had a boutique knifemaker

all we got is methicans fashioning crude shanks w/ scrap they stole from outside the mill

Back