The Economist's poll of economists: Examining the candidates

I've typed out my answer in another tab and minimized it, ready to go at any time.

I'm not interested in your ego & troll games..

You either answer the question related to the topic... or you dont.

Do you believe The Economist is a lefty magazine? :ralf:

Musashi is talking so much shit about academic creds when he was in the military and probably goes to a tier 4 law school.

get a fucking grip. "mr. hotshot" TseTse's discussion is about the survey and the results. Why are you trying to steer the debate away?

Please explain to me why this thread was even started then?
All this arguing over an unrepresentative, unscientific, simple survey?

It's not (necessarily) representative of the wider population of economists.

However, it is data and interesting data at that.

The Economist authors also kinda have more than a fucking hunch about what's going on in economic policy circles, in case nobody had considered that angle yet.

IF only 140 of the 500 responded, and majority of them were democrats/individuals, there is no way this survey should have been published by the economists.

I respect their journalism, but this was definitely not a good representation of the population.

I'm not interested in your ego & troll games..

You either answer the question related to the topic... or you dont.

Do you believe The Economist is a lefty magazine? :ralf:

I did answer the question. I typed out a reasoned response, then minimized the window.

I just want to know your academic credentials, since you have taken the liberty of attacking other people's credentials as a defense, it becomes germane to the argument at hand. Your refusal to do so makes me believe your are a hypocrite. Although you could have just outright lied, so I guess you are a hypocrite with some integrity (oxymoron, but appropriate)

It's not (necessarily) representative of the wider population of economists.

However, it is data and interesting data at that.

The Economist authors also kinda have more than a fucking hunch about what's going on in economic policy circles, in case nobody had considered that angle yet.

They are foremost a journalist magazine. I have never read an academic paper where they sourced the Economist weekly. My professor who worked in the WTO, has often given praise to reading it as myself. However to put it in a higher authority is too far.

you know as a.. undergrad studying economics.

Whenever ban polls are made I always vote for the person I think will miss tribalwar most (be it attention, addiction, etc.).

I really wish we could have another with tse tse on it.

I did answer the question. I typed out a reasoned response, then minimized the window.

I just want to know your academic credentials, since you have taken the liberty of attacking other people's credentials as a defense, it becomes germane to the argument at hand. Your refusal to do so makes me believe your are a hypocrite. Although you could have just outright lied, so I guess you are a hypocrite with some integrity (oxymoron, but appropriate)

When did he attack people's credentials as a defense to the authority of the survey?

You know.. the argument at hand.

:ftard:

IF only 140 of the 500 responded, and majority of them were democrats/individuals, there is no way this survey should have been published by the economists.

I respect their journalism, but this was definitely not a good representation of the population.

Read the article?

That say it's not scientific and only report the data for what it is. Folks attack them for "claiming to represent the entire population" but they explicitly said it doesn't Folks are swinging at strawmen...

Last edited:
:lol:

When did he attack people's credentials as a defense to the authority of the survey?

You know.. the argument at hand.

:ftard:

A few pages back he attacked a few people. please don't make me look for it, it's sunday and I'm lazy.

Triple was posturing that i didnt understand research methods, and i had to remind him he was an art major.

They are foremost a journalist magazine. I have never read an academic paper where they sourced the Economist weekly. My professor who worked in the WTO, has often given praise to reading it as myself. However to put it in a higher authority is too far.

you know as a.. undergrad studying economics.

The Economist is actually more commentary than journalism ala WSJ or the FT.

As you know, the authors post anonymously and it's NOT written in journalistic prose. It's op-ed after op-ed but with a lot of substance. That's what makes it so unique and awesome... the raw commentary.

Read the article?

That say it's not scientific and only report the data for what it is.

Sure, just like the ads on TV:

BUY THIS FRANKLIN MINT REAL SILVER 20 DOLLAR COIN.
THIS IS REAL LEGAL TENDER
*Authorized by the treasury department of Liberia.

Last edited:
Read the article?

That say it's not scientific and only report the data for what it is.

Then why did they publish it?

Raw data reported without respect to samples and population data is retarded. I want to know the specifics of each "class", I want to know how the study was conducted, I want to know the methods of contacting these "academia" professors.

It's a joke TseTse. If these things aren't published with there findings. I would treat it as any other poll or survey done by US Media, with a grain of salt.

Then why did they publish it?

Raw data reported without respect to samples and population data is retarded. I want to know the specifics of each "class", I want to know how the study was conducted, I want to know the methods of contacting these "academia" professors.

It's a joke TseTse. If these things aren't published with there findings. I would treat it as any other poll or survey done by US Media, with a grain of salt.

The raw data is interesting on its own. Period.

Folks can insist it isnt and obsess about how it's limited, but even as limited data it's STILL INTERESTING. Pretend that's partisan. Pretend they are saying something they are not. It doesn't matter.

They are a COMMENTARY magazine... one that is outstanding.

Yes, they are making a point... and that's what's bothering people.

(and after all these pages... not one word has been said about mccain's economic plans)

Triple was posturing that i didnt understand research methods, and i had to remind him he was an art major.

That's not posturing, that's pointing out the obvious.

And don't take me for an idiot because im a photographer. I had the grades to go to med school. Not all of us care about money. I also didn't want to be in debt for the next 40 years.

That's not posturing, that's pointing out the obvious.

And don't take me for an idiot because im a photographer. I had the grades to go to med school. Not all of us care about money. I also didn't want to be in debt for the next 40 years.

That's all fine, but you were pretending you had expertise in social science methodologies...

All im saying is... this survey was limited... and advertised as such.

Folks can say whatever the fuck they want, but the data is the data. It's interesting.

Back