The Economist's poll of economists: Examining the candidates

So if Rolling stone, one of the most respected and longest running music magazines, did a poll on people's favorite music, conducted over teen suicide hotlines, then reported it as a fact (with a little disclaimer) that Emo was the most popular music in America among teens and that Morrissey was bigger than Elvis, I would be right in taking that information to Tribalwar to support my contention that Emo was cool?

The analogy would be Rolling Stone sending out surveys to 600+ pop musicians to see what music they like. They get back only 100 or so. They report on "survey of musician preferences."

They'd explicitly state that it's not scientific, explicitly post the limited raw data and make sure they identify country musicians as... country musicians. Rappers are identified as rappers. Etc.

Your argument is "this doesnt represent all musicians" which was never claimed.

However, your argument also is "this isnt interesting"and "the data is invalid," both of which are untrue. That limited data, anecdotal as triple noted, is still INTERESTING albeit limited... especially if it turned out that 71% of the surveyed rock musicians liked classical.

It's not proof of anything and shouldn't be treated as such.

You did. Seems you're finally realizing that. I know admitting that is out of the question, but i'll accept a shy denial and quietly exiting the thread when no one's looking.

in rereading the post, NONE of the text makes this clear. One has to look at the pic and critically analyze the data to realize this is garbage.

Admit it. You just wanted to (1) take a partisan jab at McCain, and (2) make yourself look smart by saying you read the economist.

I know you didn't find that article on your own, you found a link on whatever liberal blog you go to in order to find out what your opinions for the day are.

ignorant liberal , more liberal propaganda , retards making tags , triple owns tsetse , tsetse is a huge faggot , tsetse is a retard magnet , tsetse the windbag

:lol: tags are 100% valid data

I always knew TseTse was a fucking moron, but this takes the cake.

Even your "71% of independents think Obama rulez!" is flawed.

1. 71% of SELF-REPORTED independents agree with Obama's policies (self-reported stats are bullshit, since you don't seem to understand stats even with your "real policy shit" background)
2. 71% of those independents were the only ones who cared enough to respond to the survey.
3. There's every reason to believe that Obama is going to attract more excitement (and subsequently more responses to bullshit surveys) this year than McCain supporters
4. Just because they were self identified independents does not mean that they weren't already supportive of Obama in general.

So even though you're willing to give up on the statistical significance of the survey, your minor (and extremely retarded) "point" that's left is worse than meaningless.

And before you betray even more ignorance in stats, let me respond to your points. I'm not "arguing strawmen" or merely "poking holes" in the data. I'm showing that the data itself has NO VALUE WHATSOEVER. NO VALUE FOR GENERALIZATIONS. NO INTRINSIC VALUE DUE TO NUMEROUS SELF-REPORTING VARIABLES. The fact that you are trying to argue otherwise (at least for the 71% of independents bullshit) only shows how little you actually understand the feeble points you try to make. Go fucking jump off a bridge.

(and this is coming from an Obama supporter, you douchebag)

Last edited:
Mine were yes-or-no questions. :lol:

only yes or no questions if you want crude over-simplications that people not well-read will not comprehend

How would you describe the NBER as a sub-group then?

My issue isnt their academic publications as much as their interest in APPLIED economics.

Are you suggesting that the AEA membership is equally focused on policy issues and applied economics? That even NBER members' academic publications (as opposed to their contract work) is more different in terms of focus on policy matters?

When i glance at the AEA annual meeting paper titles, i see what looks like at least 50% more academic theory stuff than APPLIED policy or business stuff. I'm just tryin to figure out what this NBER group is about.

"The NBER is committed to undertaking and disseminating unbiased economic research among public policymakers, business professionals, and the academic community."

These are policy oriented people moreso than the wider AEA seems to be. No?

No, I thought about ways to explain this to you but since you seem to be convinced of your position so be it.

I will leave you with the point that just around half of the AEA members are academics, and since there are just over 1000 associates and fellows at NBER as listed by NBER Family members and as they boast over 1000 professors of economics and business, I'm going to say that a random sampling of AEA members will find just as many policy-oriented individuals as a sampling of NBER.

Is there actually an objective way of measuring the overall utility? I mean, supposing that Friedman is including the slaves in his analysis, and you are including them in yours, will both of you unequivocally reach precisely the same conclusion? Or could there be a slight difference between your measurements?

Basically, is the measurement itself arbitrary?

There is, in fact, an objective way of measuring utility in a market, Samuelson's theory of Revealed Preferences. You see this being used increasingly in consumer-oriented businesses where they are using consumer data to construct indifference curves for consumers and aggregate them together for overall indifference curves.

For this specific case (slavery), there is obviously not a way to measure overall utility of antebellum slavery - but you don't necessarily need that. Start with the assumption that all men are created equal (therefore weight of preferences are the same).

Slavery obviously has a high disutility associated with it given empirical observations (willingness to escape despite dangers, need for constant bondage, punishment, threats, and a supply of new slaves).

You can actually measure the utility gain consumers experience based on price elasticities of demand (taking into account that there is also a loss of consumption utility under slavery as the slaves do not get to choose their consumption bundles) and the marginal production changes so you can determine the cost increase and the resulting consumer utility gain/loss.

The only thing left to do is estimate the disutility associated with slavery, there are several ways to do this:
1. Based on the central limit theorem, the large amount of slaves means that the distribution of disutility associated with slavery to slaves should be approximately distributed like the overall population's disutility. Therefore polling the wage people would demand for the labor involved and circumstances over a large sample should estimate the same for what disutility would be associated with modern slavery.
2. To look at a historical view, look at the observation of total wage/transfer demanded by newly freed slaves to continue to work in the field or the change in wage, essentially another form of revealed preferences.

Additionally, an estimation of the proportion of would-be slaves that are/would have been better suited for non-slave work to measure loss of efficiency in other production fields/the rate of technological progress could be used.

Unless people have significantly different estimations of the disutility involved with slavery or choose to not start under the assumption that all men are created equal (therefore weight preferences differently based on their valuations of groups), the numbers may be slightly different but the conclusion drawn will be the same.

In most marginal analysis, first you derive the various utility maximizing outcomes before finding the exact shape of the utility function.

If you are wondering about whether people actually study of the efficiency of slavery in America, there are a variety of papers on the subject, I didn't really look to see if they approach the utility question or whether they stick purely to the firm-side of the economic question:

Ergin & Sayan. A Microeconomic Analysis of Slavery in Comparison to Free Labor Economies

Coleman & Hutchinson. Determinants of Slave Prices: Louisiana, 1725 to 1820

They also wrote Trade Restrictions and Factor Prices: Slave Prices in Early Nineteenth Century US

Cole, Shawn. Capitalism and Freedom: Manumissions and the Slave Market in Louisiana, 1725-1820

Conrad & Meyer. The Economics of Slavery in the Ante Bellum South

Findlay, Ronald. Slavery, Incentives, and Manumission: A Theoretical Model.

Goldin, Claudia. Urban Slavery in the American South, 1820–1860: A Quantitative History.

Fenolato, Stefano. Slavery and Supervision in Comparative Perspective: A Model.

Fleisig, Heywood. Slavery, the Supply of Agricultural Labor, and the Industrialization of the South.

McCloskey, Donald. Does the Past Have Useful Economics?

Bergstrom, T. On the Existence and Optimality of Competitive Equilibrium for a Slave Economy.

Jones & Hoepner. The South's Economic Investment in Slavery.

Sutch, Richard. The Profitability of Antebellum Slavery -- Revisited.

A New Perspective on Antebellum Slavery: Public Policy and Slave Prices

I suspect at least one or two went about attempting to estimate the utility gain or loss between free-market manual labor and slavery in those markets.

Are we now trying to find out if there is any benifit to slavery? lol this thread is going places :lol:

Are we now trying to find out if there is any benifit to slavery? lol this thread is going places :lol:

if you go back to before I stopped posting, Dumpy questioned whether morality and philosophy comes into the equation for mainstream economics and I embarked on explaining why numbers matter more than moral arguments even in a hypothetical situation like slavery.

and before Dumpy asks about it, the philosophical opinion one may have on slavery can affect their utility but that's an externality in this case rather than a direct impact on the basic marginal analysis. You could actually account for that as well, but take more steps obviously.

Last edited:
if you go back to before I stopped posting, Dumpy questioned whether morality and philosophy comes into the equation for mainstream economics and I embarked on explaining why numbers matter more than moral arguments even in a hypothetical situation like slavery.

and before Dumpy asks about it, the philosophical opinion one may have on slavery can affect their utility but that's an externality in this case rather than a direct impact on the basic marginal analysis. You could actually account for that as well, but take more steps obviously.

I never much paid attention to utility (At least as it pertains to the Macro end) since everyone has a different level. Micro is a little different because the smaller sample your talking about the more likely their satisfaction levels are to be similar for a given product.

the idea is basically the same

I preferred micro and econometrics to macro as well.

Also, I would probably just approach it more like a micro problem (though fundamentally they use the same techniques) and examine industries separately as well as separate groupings of households.

However I don't have the time nor do I really have the inclination to do that level of research so it's more of my initial formulation of how one would go about measuring and estimating the various numbers to answer the question.

Tse Tse, you said the data isn't scientific.

And we should take the data and treat it as important because it's data?

So it is like saying wikipedia should be taken seriously because it's a bank of raw data, it isn't synthesized or checked for accuracy, correct representation, etc.

I don't get what you're saying. If the data isn't checked with tests, why should we consider it valid?

Back