[GUNS] Exploring Pistols

Seems like there are no good metrics for gun reliability.

With cell phones you have clear defect rates with manufacturing, like the metrics sig sigma is based on ect. With cars you have metrics for different kind of failures and reliability. With guns it just seems like general reputation people have a consensus on.

that makes it the same as cars

which means u buy an ak47 (toyota pickup) or colt 1911 (honda civic)

Seems like there are no good metrics for gun reliability.

Well yeah, cuz they're fairly simple mechanical devices which are incredibly reliable as a baseline.

You're more likely to die of COVID19 than you are to break a Glock (or any other comparable quality modern firearm) with factory ammo.

Ultimately if you're that concerned, buy two of the same gun. Use one as a high round practice gun and the other as an occasional shooter and carry gun.

What do you mean about the ammo reloads?

My general kind of approach is just research/shooting for different purposes. CCW first, then something for home defense later, then branch off into rifles ect. Maybe 3D printed guns would be a fun sub hobby, who knows? In any case, just from wading into this, it seems a lot more deep than I imagined. I can see why so many of the gun people on youtube are kind of autistic.

This Massad Ayoob is entertaining as hell. American badass. I've watched some old police videos that seemed pretty informative about ricochets and what not. I've come across these too:

There are basically two types of ammo - new and reloads or re manufactured. This is when the spent brass/casing is collected and reloaded. Lots of people swear by it. It is cheaper. But, the case has already been fired and subjected to the forces of the explosion. Also, most guns will come with a warning against reloads citing danger and voided warranties. That on it's own should be enough even some of it is poppycock.

I suggest using two types of ammo - CCI Blazer ball ammo for practice and then your defense round. There are lots of options for ammo. Wolf is another popular brand.

Your carry round is usually more expensive. I suppose in the perfect world you would practice all the time with your chosen defense round but it's expensive. You will burn through practice ammo like shit through a goose when you start practicing. One of the best ideas is to get a .22 when you start. It's cheap and you will learn the basics that translate over to the large calibers.

Then, you will have your defense round. It will likely not be ball ammo. It will be a hollow point type round. These are typically brands like Corbon, Federal, etc. They are more expensive for a number of reasons. The main one being performance. A good hollow point should be able to go through some clothes without turning into ball ammo and over penetrating. It's a bit counterintuitive but some hollow points will over penetrate when getting clogged going through layers of clothes. You want that round to go in and not come out. Why? So that you don't hit someone else. And, so that all the energy of the round is transferred to the target.

Anyway, ball ammo is not that expensive. I shoot a bunch of Blazer and I carry Corbon or Federal for defense.

If you really want to geek out - instead of buying reloads - load your own. I never did it because it takes time and I am happy with the shit you can buy. A friend of mine does though. He is like a mad scientist. I find myself hearing shit like "Dude, come out and try this Casull I loaded". Fucking guy.

Google "Casull" pistols and you will see how esoteric they can be.

Here is some gel and what happens with different hollow points of various weights and grains.

iu

That 10mm is absurd. There is a Glock 20 that you could try for fun if you have one at the range. It would be good for backcountry and I am sure some people ride around the city with them but jesus christ. 16 rounds of 10mm is going to ruin some days.

But, as others have said, there are so many good smaller guns that are easy to conceal and carry. Even the lowly 22L has put plenty of people in the ground. You will likely end up with a couple of guns once you start. Probably a few. But, your favorite carry gun is likely to be a smaller form factor .45, .40, 9mm or .380. You need to clean it so be comfortable with the takedown and reassembly.

Have fun, Reggs and obligatory - You'll shoot your eye out kid ;)

That Rex Applegate video is awesome. So nostalgic. The 1911 is an amazing weapon. They do come in Comanche / super Comanche sizes. But, they do have their drawbacks. Always give and take. All comes down to what you can shoot and feel confident in. And carry. It's not going to do any good in a box at home if you need it when you are out.

</Boomer Shit>

You're gonna want either an LCP for pocket carry (i recommend this regardless bc pocket carry is way more convenient and the LCP is so cheap, might as well get one just in case. i can just slide mine into whatever shorts/pants i'm wearing and no one ever notices. i don't wear super skinny jeans or anything tho

if you want something that still has a slim profile with a higher capacity and prefer to carry on hip, then get the p365 (or P365XL) or check out the Springfield Hellcat

good luck bro

Specific Situation I want a gun for:
I’m slim and wear fitted clothes. The first gun should be for jeans/tshirt in the summer. I’m open to getting a CCW gun later on that's a bit larger that I could easily wear with a jacket. But for now, I want a slim man’s CCW pistol for summer clothing. Comfortable for everyday carry. Most likely situation to be used IRL would be some random encounter with a stranger who comes to me looking for trouble out of nowhere.

I'm not a fan of pocket carry so I don't have any advice on that. I have a couple of Crossbreed Cargo Pocket Rocket holsters for G42 and G43. They're fine as long as they don't shift or I have to do more than walk fast. Very easy to get to if I have my seat belt on.

Just an idea, but you may want to try a belt and holster before you buy the gun. Belts are fairly cheap and you can find a cheap used or closeout holster for simple trial. Ditching holsters is something everyone does at some point. Holsters are a never ending search for perfection. My friends that are thin with fitted clothes mostly go appendix carry. One does kydex and nobody knows how he can stand it. A regular belt usually won't hold up for carry. Then you gotta figure out how you're going to attach that holster to the belt - Spring clips, Monoblock, J-clips, C-clips, O-clips, slide on, paddle, leather snap loops, steel clips, plastic clips, and Ulitclips in either narrow or wide and single or double. I won't go into wings to keep the grip tucked into the body or spare mag carriers. Everyone develops their own philosophy of carry.

I mostly use 1.5" belts and 1.25" belts with Ulticlips for when I have to dress nice.

Hanks Belts: Plain, cheap, sturdy and stretch/bend over time. Typicial buckle and holes type belt. The buckle is sturdy looking and not stylish.

Kore Essentials: Ratchet is love! Their Buffalo leather is great. Also have Top Grain for nicer dress and their tactical gun belt. The tactical belt is stiff as fuck and will never "soften". Buckles are kind of wide and have points that can get uncomfortable.

Nextbelt: Agian, ratchet is love! Supreme Appendix is great. Smaller but thicker buckle than Kore Essentials.

This Sneaky Pete has a Walter PPK in it
iu

Also, you could go with some undertech gear. I have only seen it - I haven't used it. Throw a shirt on over it.

t1406bk.jpg

Are you a lefty, Reggs?

Also, check out a standard IWB. They look huge but they are the most comfortable IMO.
There are all sorts.
This is only one system:

I use a Milt Sparks custom. But you don't need to go custom.
And, check out the Sig P238. Yeah, it's a .380 but it's mouse sized and makes a good "church gun". Love that term.

This guy is shot pretty much everything.

Last edited:
I want to see a selfie with the Scorpion jacket from Drive and a pistol hanging from each hand, rear view pls.

Also one in full Matrix gear, double fisting, airborne if possible

CCW is a Ruger 38 LCR 5401, in the truck is a Sig 1911 45. Wife had a SW M&P Bodyguard 380 but never touched it.

It's mostly about finding a gun that you are comfortable with and learning inside/out.

Not sure if the range you go to allows you to do draw fire or it requires you to already have the gun out and platformed before firing, but you should find somewhere you can practice draw firing, it will make a big difference

Reggs, the best hood move is to bluff and get them to agree to throw fists and then shoot them.

Back