[GUNS] Exploring Pistols

Reggs

Veteran XX
I want detailed recommendations for CCW to check out, and reasons why I should. Do you own any of these? Good accessories to check out ect? I’m a novice with this stuff atm. Read a decent amount, been to a range twice for rentals and will go more, maybe gun shows.

I’ve moved out of my house and have freed up some time to prepare for the breakdown of society. Guns, water filtration, prepper food, solar chargers are among the things I’m learning more about atm. I got to go to the range a 2nd time and try out a few more guns. I want to get a pistol for CCW first.

On a side note, I won’t say where the gun range is, but I talked to 3 different employees there. All 3 of them just happened to have moved out of California very recently. It’s insane how many Californians are just popping up here in GA. One guy grew up in LA, wife and kids, and worked in Hollywood. His wife worked on him a number of years to move, and the riots were all around his family. He had anger in his voice explaining it to me and said he wanted to work at a gun shop and not sure if he would “ever go back to the movie industry.” but did not explain that. He was more deeply affected by CA than I was because that was always his home.

Specific Situation I want a gun for:
I’m slim and wear fitted clothes. The first gun should be for jeans/tshirt in the summer. I’m open to getting a CCW gun later on that's a bit larger that I could easily wear with a jacket. But for now, I want a slim man’s CCW pistol for summer clothing. Comfortable for everyday carry. Most likely situation to be used IRL would be some random encounter with a stranger who comes to me looking for trouble out of nowhere.

Guns I have shot:

Kimber 9mm Pro Carry II
https://www.kimberamerica.com/stainless-pro-carry-ii
29571-DEFAULT-l.jpg

This was an easy gun to shoot. Pretty comfortable and I felt I was more accurate than most other guns. Very enjoyable, feels good in the hand, nice trigger, good sights ect, but a bit too large. Might make a good home defense gun rather than a CCW for me.

Sig Sauer P238 .38
SIG SAUER 380 Micro Compact P238 Pistol for every day carry
798681436637_1.png

Felt good for the small size. Pretty slim too. It has a kick, but if I get a stainless ver it should be heavier and look more attractive. This seems like a very popular go-to choice for CCW and people who have them generally say good things about it. I like this one a lot. I like the sights, but honestly I’m not sure if I’d ever use sights in a situation I’d need it for. Anyone else get that feeling? I shot the .38 ver.

Sig Sauer P365 9mm
SIG SAUER Nitron Micro-compact Handgun | SIG P365 for sale
SG365-9-BXR3_2_HR.jpg

I shot the 9mm ver of this. Despite a larger caliber than the P238 it seemed easier to shoot. The feeling of this in my hand is great, and the mag release is very simple and fast. I found this useful site to compare guns. It’s a bit larger and more heavy than the P238, 10+1 rounds of 9mm compared to the 6+1 .38 of the P238. This seems like a great choice for cold weather when I’d have a jacket. This gun seems like the best as far as just instinctual grab and shoot without thinking because it’s so simple and feels good.

Sig Sauer P238 vs P365 size comparison | Handgun Hero

Full size .45 all metal 1911
Defend Your Legacy Series 1911 Mil-Spec .45 ACP Handgun - Stainless - Springfield Armory
37600-DEFAULT-l.jpg

Pretty sure I shot the Springfield but can’t remember. .45 is powerful and the weight really helps. I feel as if I would not be able to shoot rapidly very well with this because it would take time to return my aim after a shot(is there a phrase for this?). Obviously not for CCW but I wanted to shoot it just for the history. It’s dropped so many of America’s enemies I felt obligated. Maybe a good choice in the future for display/having near computer desk for home defense. Still, the more I read it seems like 9mm has gotten so effective there is less reason to use .45 as there once was. I don’t feel I’ve shot enough to weigh in

Guns I’m interested in trying:
These guns are on my to-shoot list that I’ve read a bit about. Tell me what you can about these.

Seecamp .32 or .38
L.W. Seecamp Co. - Pistol Specs MSRP
71d3ca24fbd9c0338a554c1f7d0e2983.jpg

Comes in .22, .32, and .38. Very old gun. Everyone raves about the perfect build quality and sublime trigger. So small I could easily just put this in my jeans pocket and it would be so comfortable for every day carry. No sights, but would you use them? I want to read more on the caliber difference. .32 does not seem to mushroom much in tests, but .38 does, so that’s a bit difference. .38 is said to be absolutely ferocious on this. I don’t yet have a good idea of how accurate I am with what caliber, but my hand/wrist strength is above average since I work them out for fighting. This gun is beautiful. I’d have to drive 40+ mins to handle one, and even then might not be able to shoot. Most interested in this atm.

2RhxI2s.png

Ruger LCP Max, .38 double stack
Ruger MAX Centerfire Pistol Models
maxresdefault.jpg

Good reviews. I like that it looks smooth, not much to snag when pulling it out. Maybe for winter since it’s not super slim.

Beretta Pico, .38
Pico
pico_no_laser_2.jpg

Reviews are all over the place. It’s the most slim gun which is why I want to shoot it. .75 wide, very hard to beat how slim. Criticism of the gun relates mostly to the mag release you need another hand for, and it’s hard to pull back because there is not much to grab onto. But it’s made to be smooth for CCW, and any other mag release would accidentally release in the pocket I think. Some people say the gun has had failures while others say it’s reliable. I can see a fair trade off in comfortable usability Vs. comfort when carrying such a slim gun.

Last edited:
Glock 48 don't be a bitch

Lots of people seem to love Glocks. I have not shot any, but there is a variety at my range. The smallest Glock is the Glock 42, and it's not all that small. I'd like to try it though.

glock-42-dimensions.jpg

Yeah dont listen to me I don't carry a gun anyway.

I did have an occasion where I hauled a Glock 19 in IWB appendix carry for some hours, mostly seated, and found it comfortable tho.

i wouldnt go smaller than 9mm.

The only glock i own is the biggest pos i own. I just got very unlucky with it. MP shield is a good choice for newbs.

I keep a Glock 27 .40 It's kinda like a Subaru or a Jeep to me.

I have looked at, owned and shot others. You can't go wrong getting a couple, Reggs. Make sure to look at the Rugers, Kahrs, Walthers - give as many a go as you can at the range. Try a bunch of calibers. Whatever feels the best and you can put the most holes center mass is probably the right choice. My only warning about guns that shoot nice but have other issues is that I really liked a Beretta at one point but the Cougar I had jammed more than others. Could have been that particular gun was just cursed.

Some guns have amazingly simple designs and are easy to clean and maintain. A glock breaks down into about 4 pieces for general cleaning. Glock triggers and safeties are a little different. So, make sure to understand the differences in safety features and handling.

Also, stay away from ammo reloads in general. And, pick a good defense round and practice with it too.

If you can afford it, get a couple of guns you like. One for carry/home and the other for really light carry or backup. For those inevitable days when you won't feel like lugging a full load. Something that can basically go anywhere. Even a pocket.

Always keep the gun in a holster/sleeve of some sort.
Always store them safely or control them.
Always take some extra ammo or keep some extra ammo near.
Don't shoot your dick off.
Don't advertise that you are carrying (unless it's open carry and I am not a fan of that)
Don't pull the weapon unless you need to protect a life.
If you draw, shoot until dead. Don't fire warning shots and other silly things like that. Don't shoot to "injure" or wing someone.
Train with cops / ex cops if possible.
Take some classes.
Try some tactical shooting.
Know your local laws well.

Massad Ayoob is worth a watch if you haven't seen it. I find him entertaining and he certainly knows his subject. The video is pretty old but still contains great information.

You can also reference the Tueller Drills included in the video if needed. The 21 foot guideline for gun vs knife.

Be responsible. Stay safe.
Don't take a gun to dumb places like a bar. The law holds different people accountable in different ways. A white guy that takes a gun to a bar and ends up using it is likely to get nailed. Even though guns are a dime a dozen down at the "club" and no one ever seems to get arrested.

1. Take a CCW course, pay attention, take notes. If you ever have to use your gun, you will have a legal problem period. You can apply for a CCW card out of state with the most reciprocal states also.

2. 1911 pattern guns suck ass to carry. They are heavy and complicated and don't carry much ammo. As a thin guy also, I carry a small single stack 380 in the summer, and a Glock 19 in the winter. I'll occasionally carry the 1911, but always regret it. The 380 I can wear with sport shorts and a T shirt if I tie the string. Almost any small carry pistol will suck to shoot, one with a laser will help.

3. More clothes make carry easier. A thinner gun isn't necessarily better, it's the handle that usually gives away the gun. Some people argue a Glock 19 slide on a glock 26 frame would make the perfect carry pistol, but Glock doesn't make anything like it. Some guys will cut down a Glock 19 frame to accept Glock 26 magazines. They are interchangeable, so a larger magazine will also fit after the mod.

4. My small gun is a Taurus TCP 738 with laser sight. No goofy controls or switches for the laser, if you're holding it correctly your middle finger will turn on the laser. Taurus was partnered with Crimson Trace, and it came with the laser sight. iirc MsTrike also carried a TCP 738. This one:
wm_6343928.jpg

5. My winter carry is a Glock 19 with Truglo Tritium Fiber Optic sights. It glows constantly in the dark and amplifies ambient light during the day. Both of my carry guns are Glock style double action, no need to overcomplicate things. I say winter carry, but I can comfortably carry the Glock with shorts, a belt and a T shirt.

I use an Uncle Mikes soft holster for the Taurus, and a CYA Holster for the Glock. It's adjustable, and both are easy to wear and remove.

Here's a picture for comparison.
1911, Glock 19, Taurus TCP 738 with Crimson Trace.

UTMSAiJ.jpg

Last edited:
Browning Hi-Power is my favorite. Glock for small C&C.

Number one rule with a C&C is if you pull it out, you should be firing. Never and I mean never use a gun to threaten somebody with.

If you already tried the P365 then why haven't you bought it yet? It's the clear winner here.

I keep a Glock 27 .40 It's kinda like a Subaru or a Jeep to me.

I have looked at, owned and shot others. You can't go wrong getting a couple, Reggs. Make sure to look at the Rugers, Kahrs, Walthers - give as many a go as you can at the range. Try a bunch of calibers. Whatever feels the best and you can put the most holes center mass is probably the right choice. My only warning about guns that shoot nice but have other issues is that I really liked a Beretta at one point but the Cougar I had jammed more than others. Could have been that particular gun was just cursed.

Some guns have amazingly simple designs and are easy to clean and maintain. A glock breaks down into about 4 pieces for general cleaning. Glock triggers and safeties are a little different. So, make sure to understand the differences in safety features and handling.

Also, stay away from ammo reloads in general. And, pick a good defense round and practice with it too.

If you can afford it, get a couple of guns you like. One for carry/home and the other for really light carry or backup. For those inevitable days when you won't feel like lugging a full load. Something that can basically go anywhere. Even a pocket.

Always keep the gun in a holster/sleeve of some sort.
Always store them safely or control them.
Always take some extra ammo or keep some extra ammo near.
Don't shoot your dick off.
Don't advertise that you are carrying (unless it's open carry and I am not a fan of that)
Don't pull the weapon unless you need to protect a life.
If you draw, shoot until dead. Don't fire warning shots and other silly things like that. Don't shoot to "injure" or wing someone.
Train with cops / ex cops if possible.
Take some classes.
Try some tactical shooting.
Know your local laws well.

Massad Ayoob is worth a watch if you haven't seen it. I find him entertaining and he certainly knows his subject. The video is pretty old but still contains great information.

You can also reference the Tueller Drills included in the video if needed. The 21 foot guideline for gun vs knife.

Be responsible. Stay safe.
Don't take a gun to dumb places like a bar. The law holds different people accountable in different ways. A white guy that takes a gun to a bar and ends up using it is likely to get nailed. Even though guns are a dime a dozen down at the "club" and no one ever seems to get arrested.

I took massad ayoob's mag40 class. Highly recommended.

Back