Election facts

oh please save us kura. use that massive brain power to rule the world from your mothers house

we are saved.

Another good example is the erosion of power in congress over sending troops to war. The president has much more power than you think, there has even been military action without approval from congress (Korea, Kosovo, Grenada, Lebanon, Libya, Central America, Persian Gulf, Panama, Haiti, Somalia, Bosnia, and Iraq)- all of these military missions were conducted without approval from congress. Basically the president has authority.

and god knows the president led those actions single-handedly and solely for himself and on his own accord

That's not what I said. But he does have more power than kura would like to admit.

I don't think congress would have blocked most if not all of those conflicts, but it's not clear they would be able to very easily even though they should be by law.

Another good example is the erosion of power in congress over sending troops to war. The president has much more power than you think, there has even been military action without approval from congress (Korea, Kosovo, Grenada, Lebanon, Libya, Central America, Persian Gulf, Panama, Haiti, Somalia, Bosnia, and Iraq)- all of these military missions were conducted without approval from congress. Basically the president has authority.
Only not.
The War Powers Act is very specific about what the President can do with the military.

The U.S. President has what, 60 hours to nuke the everliving fuck out of some backwards country without Congress approval.

Because there is no real meaningful change possible.

The entire system is broken.

The executive branch has usurped more power than it was ever meant to wield, and it will not release it. Bureaucracies don't shrink, they grow.

The legislative branch is absurdly corrupt, just as the legislative branch of every other republican form of government was before it. The only body that can reform Congress is Congress, and I have news for you: it isn't going to happen.

And the judicial branch? The Supreme Court was meant to arbitrate and decide constitutional issues, yet it has become little more than a game piece in the bid to reach the oval office. "Elect me and I promise to stack the bench with justices that hate fags and abortion!" It was intended to be above politics--it's now mired in them.

Absolutely nothing meaningful will happen by electing a new President.
The system is irreparably broken.
"Change" will only come when it collapses--which it will. History has shown that it will.

Then we can start anew and watch noble ideals be twisted and corrupted by greed and cronyism once again!

Your God-damned negativity - I don't need it!!

The US will collapse but it's ok because most of America already lives in the nation of Starbucks.

Only not.
The War Powers Act is very specific about what the President can do with the military.

And congress and the president have been ignoring the act, that's why I said the power of congress has been eroded when coming to military action. How do you think we send troops without a congressional vote of some sort?

Fun fact:

Both of them are talking out of their ass.
The President has no say in taxes--Congress solely holds the power of taxation.
The best that either one of them can do is promise to take their tax proposal to Congress.

However, the average American is stupid and clueless, so this is lost on them and they actually think that things like "tax reform," "education reform," or "heathcare reform" are valid campaign issues.

It's true congress makes the ultimate decision, but the threat of veto will influence what congress does.

LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT
USA USA USA USA USA

Right?

All governments are corrupt.
Most are broken. I mean, the British people can't even elect their own PM because the dominant party in Parliament pulls him out of their asses. That doesn't even afford the illusion of meaningful participation at the upper levels of government.

Americans just seem to be totally blind to the shortcomings of their own government and incredibly ignorant of their inability to change it.

I like living in the US.
But at the same time I freely acknowledge that our government serves itself before the people.
You assumed much, as usual.
I just asked where you'd prefer to live; given our political system is broken irreparably, according to you.

Actually I come from the OTHER side of America, Love it or leave it - that was what reactionaries would yell at us. ;)

And given that you almost never answer a question put to you, I'd guess you ARE a politician.

kurapolitic.jpg

You're conflating Congress' constitutional powers of checks on the Executive Branch with actual power it can exercise over the President given the makeup of its members.

I agree 100%

Also I just love going for republicans because the democrats are much more Baawwwwww crybabies and the suicides a mccain win will lead to across the nation. I also do think rationally that Mccain will win. I don't care which wins, Obama will never be able to do the shit he wants to do (which is good in a lot of respects).

Wrong. Congress nodded at all of those (unconstitutionally). If the Congress were to stand up and say no to a war, that would be the end of the discussion as far as the federal government is concerned.

Because there is no real meaningful change possible.

The entire system is broken.

The executive branch has usurped more power than it was ever meant to wield, and it will not release it. Bureaucracies don't shrink, they grow.

The legislative branch is absurdly corrupt, just as the legislative branch of every other republican form of government was before it. The only body that can reform Congress is Congress, and I have news for you: it isn't going to happen.

And the judicial branch? The Supreme Court was meant to arbitrate and decide constitutional issues, yet it has become little more than a game piece in the bid to reach the oval office. "Elect me and I promise to stack the bench with justices that hate fags and abortion!" It was intended to be above politics--it's now mired in them.

Absolutely nothing meaningful will happen by electing a new President.
The system is irreparably broken.
"Change" will only come when it collapses--which it will. History has shown that it will.

Then we can start anew and watch noble ideals be twisted and corrupted by greed and cronyism once again!

I agree with this post.

Electing Obama won't "change" anything.
Universal healthcare will not happen.
Nuclear proliferation will not stop.
The national debt will not be fixed.
The US will not leave the middle east.
National security will be compromised.

McCain will be no better.
More people will die in the middle east.
The US' reputation will continue to deteriorate and the world will hate Americans more than it already does.
The economy will get worse.
Gas prices will be unaffected.
Terrorism will not cease.

Neither will offer significant government reforms. Even if Obama had the best intentions, he would be unable to CHANGE government because Congress is unwilling to shoot itself in the foot in order to support some sort of retarded idealistic concept that he doesn't even truly believe and only uses to dupe morons too stupid to understand how their government works and what powers are actually vested in the Executive branch. And McCain? He's Old Guard, but at least he doesn't try all that hard to hide it.

The only reason to even bother voting at this point is to influence the appointment of justices. And that only becomes a factor if any step down or die within the next four years.

It's great fun to watch you idiots run around during election years.
Especially those among you that are old enough to know better.

Discuss.

I'm old enough to have figured this out and put the knowledge to good use already, long ago. Good work catching up though. :D

Back