[Heavy metal] This old snow plow [pics]

mitch so mad he got no skillz

even the poop truck doods found out in the end and were like "bruh, it's time 2 move on dot org"

Mounted the pump under the hood, fixed the frame, and mounted the lift frame. Hydraulics are hooked up, but I need a battery lead as this setup came off a truck with two batteries. The new pump is huge compared to the old one!

348b800f00739e0c8284ced2fa762f9a.jpg
9037e0fe7950ba73980ff5a8929caf68.jpg
fe0dc497c451d183a6ac3374c47f8d70.jpg
5c4ef1cab30b721595d1e45311fc0cdf.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Easier to run a longer lead to the battery. 25 feet of 2 gauge wire, and a few cable ends should do the trick.

The truck this came from had the second battery between the pump and the drivers side headlight. The old lead hanging in the air has a yellow lead end on it. I may add a second battery depending on how many amps it pulls, but I just need it working for now.

9037e0fe7950ba73980ff5a8929caf68.jpg

Last edited:
Evidently I have a Boss RT1, the very first V plow ever made. They stopped making them in 1994, and are sought after because they're nearly indestructible and easy to repair. The pump can be replaced with a standard unit as it's separate from the valve body. Hell, the dump box I used for the roofing job uses the same pump. These plows basically rust into oblivion before they get retired. The next model, the RT2 has the pump built into the valve body like a straight blade and can get pricey to repair.

Mine has been repaired at the hinge and repainted, but should work fine once I replace a pump hose.
It's an 18 inch x 1/4 inch hose, but all the local AG shop had was a 36 inch. Should be fine for now. Here's the old one...
3bpmq7a.jpg

Ran a 2 gauge wire from the battery to the solenoid to get it working. I'll relocate the solenoid closer to the battery once everything else is working so I don't burn the truck down.
ouC5m6W.jpg

BucRaV5.jpg

A little soldering on the ends.
xqU910v.jpg

Fancy tape
ZDUuEwC.jpg

The control panel. I plan on pulling the goofy stock radio and putting the controls in that cavity. The under dash factory amp released it's demons last summer.
8jSizOy.jpg

lKUA6BL.jpg

I'll have her lifting tomorrow.
FTI1cte.jpg

i stole a delco from a girls parents car. later we went to berkeley to score some acid and while getting there, got high on weed. during the ride, i figured out the delco i stole was from her parents vehicle. we had a good laugh over that.

So I ran the controls into the cab, removed the old plow controls, replaced a pressure line, added fluid and the damn thing wouldn't lower. Lifted fine, but no drop. Even with a giant bar chained to it. Pulled all the solenoids, cleaned and operated on the bench and reinstalled.

The old crusty line connected to a filthy hydro block.
344e2df6174388870a02e9f03756d36b.jpg

My 5 foot snipe chained to the boom.
623ca9394e164a0eb0a8cda8104c7045.jpg

The hydro block, after I cleaned all the valves and coils.
6f5cf6036b6292e87334cf346356392c.jpg

The pump with a very clean hydro block.
5c27daa6adbba7ffe3016aa884ccd822.jpg

Still nothing, after cleaning everything, but I could lever the boom down with the bar a few inches. On this system the boom and wings power out, and gravity or spring pressure pulls the rams back. After levering the boom down if I released the wings the boom would lift a little.

The I realized the damn pressure and return lines were connected to the pump backwards. :stab:
Connected backwards the pump would pressurize all the rams, and return would dead head against the pump..

I guess with a bad line it may have somewhat worked. The bad line would have released pressure enough for the boom and wing rams to creep down.

The new line connected the right way. Mmm, china.
fd8ab9abcdd9768d018e2de2e7d5d1c4.jpg

This came off an old farm truck, and was barely used the last 5 years, so who knows what happened. I need to stop assuming things are assembled right.

Last edited:
Yeah, sourcing the seal kit may be difficult. Boss doesn't carry it anymore, and I haven't had any luck at the usual suspects. There's a few local places I'll try

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Found a local place that will probably have them on the shelf. New rams are $120 a side, but the fluid connection is clocked differently, and they don't look as skookum.

Back