Veteran XV
3 garden seats.

Brown

sy6opwx.jpg

White

ArNdqcq.jpg

Green

Pd9VRYE.jpg

I've removed the timbers and cleaned the metal ends a bit. Currently preparing new timbers and seeing what exterior paint I have laying around.

I used to have the kind in the top image. Re-boarded them once and never got around to doing it again when that fell apart. But I still have the metal.

That's some nifty old cast stuff. As Sam said, strip the paint and remove as much rust as possible. There may be lead paint in there so get a good chemical paint stripper going first. Once most of that's gone get a braided wire wheel going in a grinder and knock the big chunks of rust off. Wear a mask for the grinding unless you want potential lead poisoning from the residual paint and sinuses full of iron oxide. Coat with por and rustoleum or something similar.

Post pictures, I bet there's 15 layers of paint hiding some nice detail in that cast.

You can pick up a real cheap stick sand blaster and bag of sand. Wire wheel will clean that up.

You can paint the wood or get pressure treated wood, if you still want a 'wood' look

Doing new treated wood that will be painted to match decking around house. Sand/grit blasting would be ideal. I hand wire brushed, then wire wheeled, sanded a little and pressure washed. The outdoor paint I'm using is self priming thick and plastic. Once you put a couple coats of this stuff on it forms a layer that bridges bits that might want to flake off later. Was going to paint stripper them but paint stripper is yucky stuff.

Metal ends ready for paint:

1LaJBCB.jpg

The metal ends are more valuable than I realised. I'd thrown some out including a matching table a few years ago. Shouldn't have done that. I'm trying to scrounge some more local ends but they sell quickly. Aholes restoring them properly and selling them for much more.

After 2-3 coats I'm considering wet washing them with black into the crevices and then dry brushing with a light shade to highlight the raised edges. Like you do on a DnD mini.

Metal ends ready for paint:

1LaJBCB.jpg
That's ready for paint? You sure about that, hoss?

p.s. That old wood green/brown benches is probably quality hardwood. Reuse it for something else.

Last edited:
All the paint that was going to come off came off. Got almost 3 coats on already. The old wood is scrap. Bits are rotten around ends and holes etc.

you should have gotten them sandblasted

take them to any engineering place, welding shop or foundry and they will do them for you for a slab of beer

a friend had a large treated (CCA) splinter go into his knee from a picnic table

I think I got it out he said

it came out the other side like 12 years later

The old wood is scrap. Bits are rotten around ends and holes etc.
My wood eye must be tricking me then. Most of it looks like it could use a nice planer with the ends snipped off and be better than new.

Nah if you're to the point of tearing them apart for repaint, you might as well put some fresh wood on there.

You could put composite wood on their and it would last forever, but i think just plain ol wood will look much nicer.

Maybe you could do something tricky with a router though. Put some kind of nice rounded edge on the front boards or something

Back