[Rust] Restoring old chairs

Nah if you're to the point of tearing them apart for repaint, you might as well put some fresh wood on there.
I'm guessing you've never worked with an aged hardwood. They can be easily restored and be better than buying new hardwood, let alone saving cost of new lumber and waste.

You always reuse hardwood if possible, just not necessarily for this particular project as the ends might need to be trimmed off and then the width of the chair would be too short. Wood in general right now is a rip-off thanks to the ~5 large milling corporations fucking everyone over.

There is no doubt in my mind that most of that wood is still perfect to use with a planer and new edges.

Ends painted grey then dry-brushed with some silver. Not the best photo.

The ends on many of the slats are damaged. One set had no timbers. Finished slats will be painted light grey - almost white to match existing decks. Won't see any nice wood with coats of paint on them. Would be nice to grit blast them all but haven't got time for that. Just outdoor furniture. Job will last 15-20 years.

KuCGipp.jpg

Ends painted grey then dry-brushed with some silver. Not the best photo.

The ends on many of the slats are damaged. One set had no timbers. Finished slats will be painted light grey - almost white to match existing decks. Won't see any nice wood with coats of paint on them. Would be nice to grit blast them all but haven't got time for that. Just outdoor furniture. Job will last 15-20 years.

KuCGipp.jpg
We better get more pictures than that!

Having seen some of Nmags model work that wouldn't be a suprise.

They will end up looking stunning if he is allowed to unleash on them

I've been working on timbers. The ends are painted. Grey with silver dry brush highlights. They don't show so well in that photo. Better image to come.

Timbers dry cut and sanded. Sitting in ends to check for sizing. You can paint H4 but it needs to be dry. They've been drying clamped so they cure straight for weeks.

Brown

9Tz1zwN.jpg

Green

mNW20Yd.jpg

White

mAmZkoj.jpg

The dry brushed edges don't show up in the photos so well. Looks like lighting reflections on the edges. That's what they are supposed to be, but exaggerated with dry brushing silver on dark grey.

VutXzXJ.jpg

Last edited:
idk bruh, my dad has like no woodwork skillz and a mitchdubai-sized tool kit but every 15 years he restores his old deck "glider" bench so it looks more betterer than wat u got

he rly spergs out and spends like 2 days on each slat tho

sry i didn't mean 2 hate i'm just wrapped up in pissing all over mozilla on their bugzilla forams b/c of sjw fag shit they've done like eliminate "view image info" from context menus

srsly tho all these mozilla fags r bolivians enuff 2 reality that they post their own photos on the profile and they look exactly like the frail ugly little goblins you imagined them 2b

Slats drilled. Next is uniquely identify each slat so the id survives painting. Probably staged little 9 gauge model railroad tacks put in the end. Another light sand. Disassemble and get the paint. Green one needs a steel centre bar.

BiW8T7l.jpg

Last edited:
It's H4 rough sawn treated pine. Ground contact stuff. Light but nasty treatment - avoid contact / dust. Yes :) the overhang is longer than it should be on the older 2 chairs. I want it a bit longer as I'm expecting some end cracking on a couple as they come to the end of their curing. I should trim them before painting. Still some moisture in there. This whole step was pretty much around drilling those friggin holes in them all. Now I have to mark them and pull them apart.

3 x 2 person seats

Project brief is pretty much... Tidy up old chairs and paint them to match the painted timber deck which is a very light grey, almost white."

Last edited:
Back