[ofn] Texas is Only 6000 Years Old.

KnightMare

Veteran X
Texas is only 6000 years old! | Bad Astronomy | Discover Magazine

During the Texas State Board of Education hearings on science standards for Texas schoolchildren, BoE member and staunch creationist Barbara Cargill decided that the age of the Universe was up for vote. Oddly enough, I had some issue with that. You may vote on issues all you want, and you can even vote on morality if you’d like, but scientific reality is not a matter of opinion and cares not for the majority vote.
The National Center for Science Education has video of the moment where it becomes clear that Ms. Cargill, not happy enough to destroy biology for students, proposes an amendment to creationize astronomy as well:

there are plenty of intelligent people who believe in creationism. the implication of your statement is to somehow bolster your own intelligence by either disassociation with people you view as ignorant, or by association with people you believe are intelligent. in either case, you're taking credit for the research/observations of the actually intelligent people (the scientists who actually study these questions) and trying to somehow pass it off as your own.

the main reason i think it's fucking stupid is because it's already established, especially on these forums, that there are some vehement creationists who are close-minded. thanks for your wonderful addition to this ongoing discussion.

believe what you want to believe

stop fucking our schools up by changing the language in science to "open the doors" to discussing the fucking BIBLE

I'm disgusted by the religious fundies in this country. Guess what, the founding fathers were religious, but they believed in a Clockmaker god, they were all mostly diests.

there are plenty of intelligent people who believe in creationism.

If you believe the world was created 6000 years ago by god, you're a worthless piece of shit who is too stupid to grasp simple concepts.

If you believe evolution should get the same time in the classroom as creationism, you're a worthless piece of shit.

I'm all up for letting these assholes secede from the United States, let the Mexican gangs take over these morons and kill them all in the streets.

i know i'm arguing semantics but creationism doesn't mean the universe is 6,000 years old. rather, i mean it to be in line with the wiki definition "Creationism is the belief that humanity, life, the Earth, and the universe were created in their original form by a deity (often the Abrahamic God of Judaism, Christianity and Islam) or deities." So, you can infer that the teaching of the Bible suggests 6,000 years old, but I think creationism is more relevantly discussing the belief that the universe was created by a supreme being.

To answer the earlier question by Knightmare:

Einstein said:
I'm not an atheist and I don't think I can call myself a pantheist. We are in the position of a little child entering a huge library filled with books in many languages. The child knows someone must have written those books. It does not know how. It does not understand the languages in which they are written. The child dimly suspects a mysterious order in the arrangements of the books, but doesn't know what it is. That, it seems to me, is the attitude of even the most intelligent human being toward God.

your anger about the issue only confirms that your distaste for 'creationism' is more a hatred for christians, probably as some form of rebellion against your over assertive parents. who knows though, now i'm making assumptions.

but scientific reality is not a matter of opinion and cares not for the majority vote
try telling that to the nobel prize committee.

Sir Fred Hoyle was overlooked and his coworker, William Alfred Fowler, was given all the credit for their work on stellar nucleosynthesis. Why? Because Hoyle became a leading proponent of the concept of panspermia...to such a degree that he later renounced atheism and proclaimed a belief in God.

Well, the Nobel folks certainly can't have their scientists doing that! So they voted to award his coworker, not him.

Ahhhh, science! Objective? NOT always...

I'm taking a philosophy class in college and my TA has been trying to convince us that evolution is false for the whole semester. please get me the fuck out of Texas!

Back