Americans wages are fucked for no reason

It'd be alright if we also assumed everyone else's wages would be going up proportionately to this wage increase. But you don't really get that message at all by reading OP. I feel like thats what most people are complaining about here.

Like, if I was making more money at McDonalds than a job I went to college for, I'd go back to flipping burgers too. (I think? Food service sucks...)
that is exactly correct.

raising the minimum wage does nothing but destroy the value of the job you have. we dont all get proportional raises when minimum wage increases, let alone get a raise at all. raising the minimum wage is really bad all the way around.

if the minimum wage is $20 to do something that a chimp can do, why would someone go to school, come out with $80k in debt and work for $40 an hour?

Have you never met someone working minimum wage that you KNEW was worth more but for reasons(single parent workin 2 jobs, no time for school, etc..)couldnt catch/make a break? :shrug:

No, I havent

you look down at people flipping your shitty fast food burgers like they are all worthless drug dealing crackheads who have no discipline and if they REALLY wanted to, could better their situation. Thats not what i have seen in my life tho.

Life decisions have consequences, in other words

you-chose-poorly.jpg

flipping burgers is not a $15 an hour skill, its also not a career its a job for teenagers.

You're not paying for a skill, you're not paying for a career, you're paying for a product.

If the employees can produce that product for you, and you're willing to pay for it, what do you care how much they earn?

You want some crab and lice infested hobo making your burgers so you save 80 cents because, hey, any nasty POS can cook your food for you (except you of course) and it doesn't take any skill at all (but you're totally an awesome cook).

that is exactly correct.

raising the minimum wage does nothing but destroy the value of the job you have. we dont all get proportional raises when minimum wage increases, let alone get a raise at all. raising the minimum wage is really bad all the way around.

if the minimum wage is $20 to do something that a chimp can do, why would someone go to school, come out with $80k in debt and work for $40 an hour?

They wouldn't come out with 80k debt if they had a 20$/hr minimum wage job while going through college, that would be waay less by the time they graduated. They would have a hell of a head start on paying off the rest. In the end they would incur far less interest, and banks would make less off the loans.

The only reason people go to Mcdonalds is because it's cheap. If Mcdonalds became the same price as going to Chipotle, Panera, or Five Guys, why would people go to Mcdonalds?

When you're talking about raising the minimum wage, you're really talking about raising the living standard for someone in the lower class.

Even if minimum wage was increased significantly, it would only be a temporary shot in the arm. Prices would eventually adjust to reflect this change. It would also drive companies to send as many jobs as they could elsewhere to find cheaper labor or increase automation, which would negatively affect employment here. Overall, nothing will protect the eroding American middle and lower classes against globalization and technology advances to increase productivity. It's part of the reason why wages haven't grown much in real terms since 1970, despite productivity going up 100%. The argument will always come back to supply and demand in a capitalist society.

They wouldn't come out with 80k debt if they had a 20$/hr minimum wage job while going through college, that would be waay less by the time they graduated. They would have a hell of a head start on paying off the rest. In the end they would incur far less interest, and banks would make less off the loans.

You're high if you don't think college admissions would go up if minimum wage went to $20 an hour.

because... 2 years after graduating that extra 20$/h pays that 80k debt off, and then you have double your pay.....

Bad argument

If a new grad with an 80k education can't land a better job then flipping burger, he deserves his fate

You're not paying for a skill, you're not paying for a career, you're paying for a product.

If the employees can produce that product for you, and you're willing to pay for it, what do you care how much they earn?

You want some crab and lice infested hobo making your burgers so you save 80 cents because, hey, any nasty POS can cook your food for you (except you of course) and it doesn't take any skill at all (but you're totally an awesome cook).

It's been a decade since I've eaten at a fast food place so I don't care what their employees look like or carry. I do care about society thinking its ok to "basically check out" and then demand they be paid a decent living wage for something that

1. should be a part time job for a teenager
2. a job that a grade school drop could learn in an afternoon

We shouldn't reward the ignorant, lazy and poor decision makers

goin 2 argue economics on my form all friday

o wait no i m not i m goin 2 do the weekly billin 4 my company then go get fuked up 2nite LOL

I'm fairly certain half of America lives on the dollar menu

but what does that have to do with anything? Im missing your point my man. No hate just not following.

Obviously McDonalds current business model wouldnt work if they 'pass the buck' from the increased 15$/h worker to the customer.

Duh. But why would it be so bad for McDonalds to make 5% less on the profit margin to pay employees instead of Rasing the dollar menu to the 3$ menu...

I dont think raising the minimum wage will fix dick all. but they way its done now, DAMN sure isnt working.

that is exactly correct.

I don't understand people like you that clearly have an extremely lackluster understanding of history, yet absolutely insist on commenting on everything as if you're some sort of an expert.

The reason why you need to go into huge debt for college in the US to begin with is that starting in the 60s, educational public funding was slashed, forcing colleges to ramp up tuition costs per year. Back in the 60s and 70s, states provided free public options like the CUNY in New York. Today, education has been turned just into another private capitalist racket where the educational standards have been downgraded to absolute bottom barrel standards to maximize profits and to chain students into usury-debt that they will often take to their graves.

Countries with public higher education spend less than the United States and the only government intervention in the US is when they chip in to help the jew-run corporate college racket turn a bigger profit with "subsidized loans".

Back