The official "I don't ever want kids" thread

No kids means nobody is going to be putting my ass in a home.

People usually go into nursing homes because they can no longer live independently. When you get to that stage, if you have no kids, and do not have the huge amount of money needed for a nice assisted living arrangement, you would likely be put into a state funded home, which usually are not places you want to be.

I see where you are coming from, but I've just heard too many stories of elders having no one, and spending their twilight years alone, or in sub standard conditions.

People usually go into nursing homes because they can no longer live independently. When you get to that stage, if you have no kids, and do not have the huge amount of money needed for a nice assisted living arrangement, you would likely be put into a state funded home, which usually are not places you want to be.

I see where you are coming from, but I've just heard too many stories of elders having no one, and spending their twilight years alone, or in sub standard conditions.

Just off yourself if it comes to that point then, or hopefully we realize dr assisted suicide is a whole lot more humane then letting somebody die a slow painful death by the time im old enough to care

that can be good (because typically you and your wife have matured) and it can also be bad (i will be 42 when my kid goes to college) which allows for me to act like a 25 year old again but this time i am more financially secure.

i didn't want to say this originally but most, if not all the reasons to not have kids in this thread are very self centered and selfish reasons. all i read in the list and what others are saying is, "me, me, me, me".

having a kid, especially for males is a huge positive learning experience because us males are naturally very selfish creatures.

if you dont want kids, dont. but look at your reasoning as to why and attempt to rid the "me, me, me" aspect of it. IMO of course.

who would argue otherwise, your damn straight im being selfish and your damn straight its about me.

Its my life and I want to enjoy it

if you don't have kids, you can't really be selfish because there isn't anyone else who is your responsibility.

if you have kids, then you are selfish because you try to live vicariously through your kids and get them to do things to make you feel like a kid again or to impress other parents.

Why is not having kids "selfish"? It is like taking the abortion argument 1 step further.

The selfishness argument confounds cause and effect: Having a kid will not make one un-selfish. I am selfish, but I have the courtesy not to inflict my selfishness on a kid.

It's not actual selfishness, it pre-emptive altruism.

Last edited:
90% of you jagoffs who say you'll never have kids are wrong. There's no arguing with me - because 98% of people wind up procreating at some point.

If you're in your 20s, don't have kids. I waited until I was 41, which is pushing it a little far, but I had a BLAST when I was in my 20s and 30s, so now I figure it's time to settle down with a kid.

My kid looks just like me and there is a special sense of accomplishment in having that huge responsibility and meeting it. I absolutely love him regardless of the frustration sometimes.

90% of you jagoffs who say you'll never have kids are wrong. There's no arguing with me - because 98% of people wind up procreating at some point.

If you're in your 20s, don't have kids. I waited until I was 41, which is pushing it a little far, but I had a BLAST when I was in my 20s and 30s, so now I figure it's time to settle down with a kid.

My kid looks just like me and there is a special sense of accomplishment in having that huge responsibility and meeting it. I absolutely love him regardless of the frustration sometimes.

Except that ~20% of women don't have kids anymore.

I love the "Selfish" argument.

Doing things with my own life that I want to do is not selfish by any stretch of the imagination.

if I were to have a kid, and then neglect them financially or emotionally in order to continue pursuit of those things...THAT would be selfish. But since I do not have that responsibility, I am simply a productive member of society by bettering myself in many aspects.

My attitude isn't "me, me, me", it just simply isn't "what about my kids?" all the time.

IF you are more psychotic then they are, kids can be amusingly fun

Then again if you cannot handle stuff like this:

then do not have kids

I laugh at my kid when my kid pulls this trick, it now takes her 5 seconds to shut up with me, of course she knows with anyone else all she has to do is keep going and eventually they will cave in, lol. She is 1.5 years old for the record and she figured this out at 3 months, lol

I love the "Selfish" argument.

Doing things with my own life that I want to do is not selfish by any stretch of the imagination.

if I were to have a kid, and then neglect them financially or emotionally in order to continue pursuit of those things...THAT would be selfish. But since I do not have that responsibility, I am simply a productive member of society by bettering myself in many aspects.

My attitude isn't "me, me, me", it just simply isn't "what about my kids?" all the time.

My kid goes to bed at 7:30, so I have the whole night free. he also naps in the afternoon on the weekends for 3 hours. I get to do all kinds of shit still.

A lot of this stuff could have been avoided if the parents actually paid attention to their children. Granted, kids can get into shit really quick, and make a mess of them, but most of these are just examples of parents who probably on the computer, tv, phone, etc etc way too much to look around them.

so if you have to watch your kids all the time, how can you have any fun or any time alone? apparently people want to argue that they have just as much freedom as people that don't have kids

so if you have to watch your kids all the time, how can you have any fun or any time alone? apparently people want to argue that they have just as much freedom as people that don't have kids

Little kids, like the ones who did most of the shit in the pictures, do need to be watched pretty much 24/7. Fortunately, they need more sleep at nights than adults, and also take naps. Then once they get to be about 4, preschool and past that regular school, sports, friends etc.

Any parent who tells you they have all types of free time is either lying, or a lazy parent. But, I do have free time, and I definitely enjoy it more than I ever did. I also had kids pretty young, so by the time I am 45 my kids will both be out of the house.

The difference is, I actually enjoy spending time with my kids, so it isn't a big deal that I don't get to do all the stuff that I did before I had children.

I don't think any parent in this thread is trying to say that having kids is all fun all the time, or that it is easy. It is hard work, but it is well worth it, if you put the time in. I am a proponent of only having kids if you actually want them though. I have no problem with people abstaining from becoming parents, especially if they are concerned about having free time.

Back