Steam deck

I've had mine for a few months. I would rather play AAA games on my PC or PS5. BUT for emulation, older AAA titles and indie games it's amazing.

It emulates most Nintendo Switch titles better than the switch.

I am currently playing:
  • Binding of Isaac
  • Hades
  • Cult of the Lamb
  • Paper Mario Origami King (Nintendo Switch)
  • Dragon Quest 11
  • The Witcher 3
  • Skyrim
  • Zelda Windwaker HD (Wii U)

Also the Steam Cloud saves work perfectly. I can play on my PC and all my progress is synced with the Steam Deck.

Last edited:
what, its powerful enuf to emulate switch games?...

intteresting

perhaps if they make a larger screen OLED version im sold :boogie:

There are pretty well made handhelds now that emulate most any system up to Dreamcast, including systems that were not mainstream. Emulation software is pretty good these days.

I'm keeping my eye on steam deck. I'm reading rumors that they will release a stand alone VR headset so I'll wait for that.

I preordered one and then saw so many mixed reviews. Waiting for my name to come up the reviews stayed mixed... I opted not to get it when my name came up. TBH I don't know how much I would even play it... I got the Galaxy Ultra Tab recently and this thing is huge and is great watching shows while doing repairs all day.

thing is made out of plastic so it's just a video of a guy taking a razor blade to it to show how you can scratch or cut it? what is the point?

You've never watched his videos? His durability test is usually on phones, that's why he scratches them, to see what the case is made out of. After that he does a tear down and talks about the components inside.

My Steamdeck is working. Installed Doom, went through the tutorial. There's a video on how to set up the controls to play better.

I think it will be fun to have something to tinker with, even if the games play better on the PC.

Instead of doing a skin, I did a protective case that includes a screen protector. This one has 5 stars and installed perfectly.
Amazon.com: Protector Case for Steam Deck, YIZEIJOB Steamdeck Accessories 12 In 1 Set Includes Protective TPU Shockproof Case, Dock Stand, 2 Pack Screen Protector, Touch Skin Stickers, Thumb Caps Cover : Video Games

Last edited:
Have logged about 70hrs on mine since I got it about 70 days ago. Has been great for playing a lot of stuff in my steam catalog I've not gotten around to or hadn't played in a while, definitely the more casual and indie games in my library.

I find at my desktop I'm more inclined to always play my shooters, etc, not what I'd call more casual games. It's perfectly suited for couch gaming and that has probably been the majority of it's use. Lately I've been playing a city builder that sips power, could probably hit 8hr of gameplay on one charge in that game (TheoTown - SC2k type game ported from mobile).

Likewise, I've run Sim City 4 on it no problem, though the controls and text in that game do make it challenging. Likewise, mods should work in it.

EmuDeck is also a great asset if you've got some roms and shouldn't have problems emulating up through Xbox-PS2-Dreamcast IIRC.

Only gripes is that games sometimes have issues with syncing cloud files between my deck and PC and that's kinda made me back off on playing some games where if it doesn't sync at the start, I don't always want to start a new game for fear of it one day syncing and overwriting a PC save, though that doesn't seem likely or something valve would have overlooked.

Other gripe would be some strange behaviors at time due to it being a linux OS. Has been stable for me lately though

Installed EmuDeck (emulator) and put some N64 games on there.
Steam Deck EmuDeck Setup Guide - YouTube

Roms can be found here on the 2nd site (WowRoms).
FREE ROMs ISOs Download for SNES, NES, GBA, PSX, MAME, PS2, PSP, N64, NDS, ps1 - wowroms.com
This site can be opened on the desktop side of the deck using Firefox, click on a rom, and save in the Roms folder. You want to put all this on your SD card. So when you save a rom, you scroll down to Primary drive, click on emulation, roms, then find the console name, and save it. Then there's a few steps to transfer the roms to the gaming side, which is explained in the Emudeck video.

The N64 games play but the controls are a little weird playing on the deck. I agree that playing shooters is going to be tough. The dude who made that Doom video up above has no problem playing. With EmuDeck and the web site, there's thousands of games to play for free. The other thing to do in install Proton GE, which is talked about in this video. This is what translates windows games to Linux. DO THIS AS SOON AS YOU GET YOUR STEAM DECK!! - ProtonGE Install Tutorial - YouTube

Next I need to get a dock, but I'm waiting for the official Steamdeck dock to come out. Once that is done, I can hook the Steamdeck up to my monitor, add a mouse/keyboard, add another USB stick, and that's how people use the deck as their main computer. It's a lot of fun tinkering with this thing.

Last edited:
y teh fk would u hook up a steamdeck to your monitor/mouse/kb/etc. that defeats the whole fkin point :lol:

I ordered my 2nd 256gig deck today. Wow, that was fast. I had got back in line on 09/21/22 when I got my 1st deck, and now I ordered the 2nd one.

Seems like there's no waiting any more for a deck. Probably because the 256gig version costs $529, plus tax it's 561.03 (USD). Then there's accessories, like a case up above ($25), memory stick ($80), docking station ($70), and extra controller ($60).

I ordered this controller
Amazon.com: AKNES 8BitDo Pro 2 Bluetooth Wireless Controller for Switch / Switch OLED with 2pcs Silicone Joycon Thumb Grip Caps,Gamepads for Steam,MacOS,PC,Android Raspberry Pi(Clear/Transparent Purple Edition) : Video Games
Docking Hub
Amazon.com: JSAUX Docking Station Compatible with Steam Deck, 7-in-1 Steam Deck Dock with 1000M Ethernet, 4K HDMI, USB 3.0, SD/TF, 100W USB C Charging Compatible with Valve Steam Deck, MacBook Pro/Air, iPad : Electronics
My case comes with a stand that fits, so I went with a hub instead of the dock.

Last edited:
75Hz or 90Hz would even be way better.
There is a point where it's quite noticeable.

I remember my last 75Hz CRT and then I bought my first LCD (Everything 60Hz at the time) and knew something was off.

Heat and noise are the other problems, but they will get there. Give it a year or two.

doubt it has the power to push past 60fps for anything decent so it probably doesnt matter
This. The battery only lasts 2 hours, so people turn down the frame rate and refresh rate to 45 to save battery life. At 45 most games are playable. The highest refresh rate is 60. The can be adjusted with a slider from 60 to 40. Frame rate limit can be set to off, 60, 30, 15. If lowering the refresh rate it causes the sound on emulated games (N64) to be garbled.

It's a small screen (7" X 4.25") so everything looks good. It's a matter of having smoother game play, and people are fine with the lower refresh rate.

Last edited:
A Valve employee said something to the effect of how something like the Steam Deck, a mini PC, could one day be used with a VR headset while mobile. I guess with the deck like device having all the software on it.

Back