Tribes : Ascend

Status
Not open for further replies.
what the crap, I hope it gets released at the same time as battlefield 3 and gets fucking murdered just like T:V did with HL2

how about using the only good part of the IP left and make a new Starsiege game, release it for the 360 and profit

Who did Irrational listen to? I'm curious who wanted that piece of shit. They need to be banned.

Thrax :twist:

By the time we got to closed beta, their design was locked in, code locked in, only minor changes could be made that wouldn't have done shit. So I don't think there is anyone outside of Vivendi to lay blame. KP "was just following orders", doubt he had much say one way or the other. T:V had a few good functional changes but totally dropped the ball where it mattered most.

This new game, pessimism is the best position, because if it doesn't suck, it will be a very nice surprise ;)

I didn't quit after RG, I went to Fallen Lords, who still never lost to NuTz, then I went to Fallout, who still never lost to NuTz (or Wolfpack) :p

I did quit RG with all the top tier players right after TWC though, my last match with them was the one against =S3= where they took #1 from us, because me and Rask had been playing in US West and the entire rest of the team hadn't practiced any new maps in months.

:lol: fallout? mmk

I know for a fact I beat you bud ;)

100+ match wins in NuTz alone, be hard not to- most ever btw.

I think HiRez should have their closed beta with invitations to all tribalwar vet members and then we will see where it goes.

Disc Launcher?

disclta.png

good points about the grappler. make it a pack with 3-5 shots and it would have been a much better item.

also TV's chaingun was very well designed and they should keep that in. the faster you are moving the less recoil it has.

Gawd you guys over dramatize T2 Base. The maps sucked much more than the gameplay.

Granted speed caps were lame, but Maps make or break things. Shit like Tombstone, Recalescnce, Thin Ice, Archipelago were useless when all the mods were made also.

Damnation, Slapdash - great maps, really fun to play. Definitely had their moments. Trying to take a game which is built off of constant engagement and action, and fit it into some super large one where encounters with the other team only happen every 3 minutes was by far the biggest mistake made.

Katabatic was always my favourite. Had the perfect balance of enough open space to mean you could go around in a non-confrontational manner and play things stealthily, but due to the base distance it was never far if you fancied some action. The maps which were so big you hardly ever saw a soul were boring, and the ones with maps so small you were constantly under projectile fire (like that fucker with the underground bases that were like 10 metres apart) were frustrating.

I loved the fact you could avoid enemies if you wanted to and organise some proper strategy rather than being funnelled down certain routes like most games of the time. It's just important to not go too far either way, something Battlefield has also struggled with.

Gawd you guys over dramatize T2 Base. The maps sucked much more than the gameplay.

Granted speed caps were lame, but Maps make or break things. Shit like Tombstone, Recalescnce, Thin Ice, Archipelago were useless when all the mods were made also.

Damnation, Slapdash - great maps, really fun to play. Definitely had their moments. Trying to take a game which is built off of constant engagement and action, and fit it into some super large one where encounters with the other team only happen every 3 minutes was by far the biggest mistake made.

You argument bears some logic. Map design was hideous. However it was clear that the developers listened to the griping of players of Tribes 1 who thought speed was out of control.

Step 1: Nerfed skiing
Step 2: Increase map size
Step 3: Increase Autotracking turrets speed and accuracy
Step 4: Rocket Launcher

All of these implementations were specifically put in to curb speed, to slow the game down. The only problem was they went too far and tipped the scales. A simple nerf to skiing caps would be perfectly fine were maps not huge. This is in line with your point, that smaller, less vehicle centric maps in T2 were playable.

However it does not take into account other aspects of the game like turrets. Nobody likes to be killed by automated base defenses, especially when the time it takes to arrive at said base is much longer than it takes to repair or deploy said defenses.

Tribes should never have a lull in the action. What made Tribes great was not the speed one could achieve by finding that perfect route, it was knowing that even with that perfect route you would have chasers after you. LT aside, clusterfucking aside, it was the constant motion that made it different from other FPS. By far my largest gripe about Tribes 2 base was that nothing would happen for minutes at a time.

Katabatic was always my favourite. Had the perfect balance of enough open space to mean you could go around in a non-confrontational manner and play things stealthily, but due to the base distance it was never far if you fancied some action. The maps which were so big you hardly ever saw a soul were boring, and the ones with maps so small you were constantly under projectile fire (like that fucker with the underground bases that were like 10 metres apart) were frustrating.

I loved the fact you could avoid enemies if you wanted to and organise some proper strategy rather than being funnelled down certain routes like most games of the time. It's just important to not go too far either way, something Battlefield has also struggled with.

Katabatic was a flat shrike infested over turreted piece of shit. Pretty much the perfect example of not understanding how to make tribes maps, they make these giant mountains that you need every ounce of your jetpack to get to the top of, then make tons of completely flat un skiiable surfaces.

t2 was a lot better when the maps were good, then was made even better when the rest was fixed in b++ or classic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back