[Tribes 1 SOURCE] UPDATE.

Could be interesting, but I dont see it bringing back competition or anything.

Also we would have to experimentally determine physical constants for tribes1 to port it over.

I've worked on several projects and several of them were aimed directly towards creating a brand new Tribes game. This is what I have to say:

Tribalwar should NOT develop it's own Tribes game because it's doomed to fail from the start.

People don't understand that making a brand new game is alot of work. Alot of you might say: "Sure we know it's alot of work" but really you have no idea of what alot of work is when it comes to making games.

I get an overwhelming feeling that alot of people won't commit alot of their time to this project which is exactly what it needs. People have to act professional and be prompt with everything they do. I'm not saying I'm all knowing, but I do know it takes extremely special individuals to commit to a project for it to amount to anything, even then... success is not garunteed. I'm not standing very convinced when it comes to TW, sorry guys but most of the interest in this thread has been for the most part bickering as well as ignorant and uninformed statements. Plain and simple, TW does not strike me as a group of individuals who can collectively work together at a task this large. In all likelihood this project is going to lose steam and grind to a slow and pitiful end.

The other thing is that alot of people here want the Tribes 1 source code and make Tribes 1 with better graphics. Theres only so much Tribes 1 can produce in terms of graphics, and I doubt that TW has the coders that have the ability to upgrade the graphical capabilities of the engine. Work from fucking Torque/TSE, it's been quality tested and it can render 750k polygons at 200 FPS. I know people who have ported models and texture maps from Doom 3 into TSE and have had it look exactly the same, plus 30% more efficient than that other POS engine. The main reason why people say TSE is a POS Engine is because there aren't any projects who have developed a game with a quality art team. I garuntee TSE is cappable of rendering everything and more in realtime so long as you put some good people on the art team.

If you want the opinion of someone who knows a thing or two about games, go to the Legends team and sign up. Redo everything, the graphics and tweak the physics. They have half a game and that is better than nothing. I really want a successful Tribes game to come out of nowhere, but people here aren't thinking realisitcally and they don't really understand that they are basically starting this from nothing. No one here understands the concept of nothing.

this is going to be a mess.
people are just going to bitch and moan

but i wish the best of luck to anyone who tries to do something with this project.

I know that theres an incredible amount of work involved in developing simple web apps. I don't even want to imagine how much is involved in a video game :\

Snapple said:
we cant have the source code, but the next best thing would be legends since its more than half way done, why not work with the legends team to help better the project instead of mocking it. i dont understand
how could simple folk help? i mean non-coding, non-modelling, etc.

Arcanox said:
The main reason why people say TSE is a POS Engine is because there aren't any projects who have developed a game with a quality art team. I garuntee TSE is cappable of rendering everything and more in realtime so long as you put some good people on the art team.
i agree - low calibre art is a disease endemic to indy game development. for one reason or another, indy projects are formed by coders. they set out, code a great game, and art comes second. as such, the great game doesn't appear great and a lot of instant appeal is lost.

the other thing worth noting is that garage games themselves aren't pushing products that really show off their engines graphics capabilities. RocketBowl, Marble Blast, Zap... while all are polished games that play great, they do not display to gamers that the TSE can push doom-like graphics. Until i looked deeper into it, i totally thought the TSE was a solid engine without the ability to do anything AAA-level because pretty much all garagegames games don't show much more than simple 3d or even 2d art. Don't get me wrong, i have a ton of respect for garagegames, but my first impression as propegated by garagegames is far off from reaility.

I agree that you should consider picking up on Legends.

You've already said the physics are the same. Just change the textures to whatever looks good.

If this torque engine idea is re-opened my suggestion would be don't worry about anything else beside the physics. Don't worry about game type,weapons, etc at first. Focus 100% on the physics. That way if if can't be duplicated, theres no use on continuing. But wtf do I know.

Wow, this thread seems eerily familiar!!

I've been involved with Legends since the beginning. It was pretty much my idea. That said, I've had 4 and half years of under my belt trying to recreate the Tribes 1 experience on the Torque engine.

Here's the lowdown: We've talked extensively with Jeff Tunnel, Rick Overman, and most importantly Mark Frohenmayer about our work. We also worked extensively with Sierra via Alex Rodberg (when he was managing the brand) about all the legal ramifications.

Here's the bottom line:

1) Sierra will not allow a T1 remake, commercial or not, and will treat any such product as copyright infringement.

2) The Torque Engine is NOT the T1 engine. We actually _HAD_ T1 physics at one point, I'm talking the actual same algorithm used in T1. The problem is that there's so much of the Torque Engine that has changed. The entire world rendering portion of the engine is based off of different numbers. So the code that worked magically in Tribes 1 was completely incompatible with the Torque engine.

3) The biggest problem with Legends has always been modelling, textures, and sound, and to a lesser degree project management. It's a group composed of people from Tribalwar, which is needless to say less than professional. Organizing a project of this magnitude where people are spending their free time on it, for ZERO payment, is a phenomenal task.

Sure, you can start over again. Hell, there's been times I really, really wanted to. And a part of me feels that Legends _SHOULD_ be scrapped and redone from the ground up with a fresh version of Torque (or even the Torque Shader Engine).

This is a huge task. If you want to go ahead and tackle it, go for it. Legends is pretty much, for all intents and purposes, dead. I have my band to deal with, the two most active developers (justin and xgalaxy) are now full time employees of GarageGames. The other mappers/artists/modellers/scripters have moved on to other projects. And that just means that loop doesn't have a team to run.

So yeah, you could try this. Just do it better than we did ;) If you have any questions about it, shoot me an email (daerid@gmail.com) and I'll try to help out as best I can, time permitting.

Last edited:
i've been writing my own engine for about a year now, and the first game i plan to build on it is trives.

Back