[Fishing] Alligator defense in the gulf states

DocHolliday

Contributor
Veteran XX
My mom/dad moved to Florida about 4 years ago when they retired. Brother followed them down there a year or so later. Dad needs the help due to an old spinal injury so his right leg is pretty weak.

Anyway he loves to fish so my brother takes him fishing once or twice a week. The ponds/lakes they fish are heavily monitored for the most part so when gators hit 6' or so they are trapped and relocated OR if they show aggressive tendencies. Retirement community called the Villages. Gators eating old people and their toy dogs is bad for business, so they take threats seriously.

I do still worry as some of the smaller ones while probably not deadly, can be a nuisance when hungry and who knows what can happen. My dad has had several 3-5 footers chase fish he caught onshore and he isn't getting away on his scooter. My brother on multiple occasions had ot run over and scare the gator off. They typically bolt when he runs up on them, but a couple times he used his fishing rod to smack them. What if that does not work?

This got me thinking, how can they defend themselves just in case. Ideas I had was retractable police baton or if all else fails a large knife like what Rambo used.

I know some of you guys live down there and are probably familiar with gators. Outside me buying them some 45 caliber handguns what would do you guys think? Remember large gators over 6' are not a concern for the most part. Only areas they fish with gators that large they are on a pontoon.

TLDR

What would you do to defend youself from smaller gators?

Last edited:
mqdefault.jpg

How old is your dad?

Probably recommend the S&W Shield EZ or Walther PDP F-series, both in 9mm. Easy to operate. In Florida you can carry legally, concealed or open, if you're actively fishing or traveling to/from your fishing spot.

F.S. 790.25

you should just keep midget minge in your dad's scooter basket and just toss him towards the alligator while you're running/riding away.

My mom/dad moved to Florida about 4 years ago when they retired. Brother followed them down there a year or so later. Dad needs the help due to an old spinal injury so his right leg is pretty weak.

Anyway he loves to fish so my brother takes him fishing once or twice a week. The ponds/lakes they fish are heavily monitored for the most part so when gators hit 6' or so they are trapped and relocated OR if they show aggressive tendencies. Retirement community called the Villages. Gators eating old people and their toy dogs is bad for business, so they take threats seriously.

I do still worry as some of the smaller ones while probably not deadly, can be a nuisance when hungry and who knows what can happen. My dad has had several 3-5 footers chase fish he caught onshore and he isn't getting away on his scooter. My brother on multiple occasions had ot run over and scare the gator off. They typically bolt when he runs up on them, but a couple times he used his fishing rod to smack them. What if that does not work?

This got me thinking, how can they defend themselves just in case. Ideas I had was retractable police baton or if all else fails a large knife like what Rambo used.

I know some of you guys live down there and are probably familiar with gators. Outside me buying them some 45 caliber handguns what would do you guys think? Remember large gators over 6' are not a concern for the most part. Only areas they fish with gators that large they are on a pontoon.

TLDR

gators dont attack shit that are close to their size unless trying to protect itself.

small kids should be watched from 5+ footers, but theres nothing really to worry about imo

gators dont attack shit that are close to their size unless trying to protect itself.

small kids should be watched from 5+ footers, but theres nothing really to worry about imo

You live in the panhandle. Hardly any gators 🐊

How old is your dad?

Probably recommend the S&W Shield EZ or Walther PDP F-series, both in 9mm. Easy to operate. In Florida you can carry legally, concealed or open, if you're actively fishing or traveling to/from your fishing spot.

F.S. 790.25

He'll be 70 next year and I can tell you he has no interest in a handgun. He hates them. Brother and I took him to the local range a couple times and he did not want to shoot it. Rifle only.

He used to hunt so he knows shotguns and rifles, but does not like handguns and would never take it out.

Brother different story. Might buy him one. Its legal to open carry in Florida if you are fishing. We met a dude a few months back doing just that. Was surprised to see open carry and he told is it was legal when fishing, camping, etc. Dude was old vet and said he's less worried about gators then he is meth heads when fishing lol he had some good stories. Leesburg is no joke. NGFM can tell you some stories about that place. Juggs probably can as well.

2) 790.25(3) - “Lawful use” authorizes the conceal carry and open carry of firearms while fishing, hunting or camping, or while going to or returning from fishing, hunting or camping.

Get Billybob to rig you up a 300hp scooter out of all the rusty old shit he has lying around.

This is a possibility. Can't fight it off? Outrun it!

you should just keep midget minge in your dad's scooter basket and just toss him towards the alligator while you're running/riding away.

Another solid possibility.

Yeah they have pretty much told me the same thing. For me its I am not there. I live in Illinois. Large gator went after my dad I would die trying to protect him from it. I would feel better knowing they had an option even though it is a super rare occurrence. With my brother I am not worried at all. My dad though even though its a super rare chance I would sleep better at night. He took care of me and protected me and now its our turn if you know what I mean.

Last edited:

TLDR

get a pistol. in the state of FL they can open carry if fishing/camping, etc.

A decent 45 should do the trick

Zero reason to buy a .45 lol

Anyway the old guy apparently doesn't like handguns so there's no point in getting one. He'd need to actually practice with it. And then carry it consistently. And learn how to properly draw it and take useful first shots without shooting himself.

idk fuk u 4 the cheap dig @ little dogs (derisively referring 2 them as toys) even tho ur degen shitbulls and nazi shepherds and melaninmutes also get pwned by gators just as fast (and it's funnier b/c ppl r wailing while their super duper tuff dog gets got like it's a fking koala yummie in a fat kid's hand)

ok now we got that out of the way (srsly, ur tuff guy fag dog breed is getting just as got and we will laff @ u)

springfield rifle w/ express ammo, 1 shot kills the gator every time make sure u hit between the eyes so u get a perfect hide

also keep a large tuff guy faggot dog breed on hand so u have a big enuff piece of bait 2 distract the gator long enuff 2 shoot it

I have a legitimate question, though. If he's fine with shooting rifles, why does he hate pistols so much? I mean, yeah, they are shorter, but they are semi-automatic just like rifles, and they work pretty much the same way, just a bit shorter, so I'm not getting it. Just curious.

4 me it's about the accuracy, u can't clear out a nest of revenue agents @ 300 yards w/ pistols or revolvers

Back