From pork belly to bacon

HumDumpin

Re
Veteran XV
A few weeks ago I purchased a pork belly, each cut is half a pig worth of belly that is about 1ft wide and 2 1/2 ft long or so.

yD2FRV.jpg

It came with the skin on, nipples and all, I left the skin on during the brine then trimmed it off prior to the final pepper dry rub. Some people like to use the skin, I disposed of it.

This is the process from start to finish, excluding the trimming that I did. I made a simple brine with water, salt, sugar, molasses, and hard cider that was boiled and then cooled in the frig over-night. The bacon got an initial quick rub with whole peppercorns that were chopped in a coffee grinder (some remain whole, others were chopped into a finer powder). After that I stuffed it into the brine, and weighted it down with a bowl to keep everything below the surface.
LkvaP1.jpg

After a week I took the belly out of the brine, dried it with paper towels. I trimmed the skin off and lightly trimmed the fat to get rid of excess. Both sides were rubbed again with much more pepper than it received prior to the brine. I wrapped it up again and left the rubbed belly in the refrigerator over-night.
1CjUwX.jpg

Sliced after the rub and brine.
lgG2Re.jpg

Placed in a rib rack holder, this works well for saving space but you need to rotate them half-way through the smoke to ensure the under-side gets decent exposure.
98z2ak.jpg

Placed the ribs in my smoker (this is an old photo obviously, just for reference).
a5jb.jpg

For this smoke I used aged hickory and cherry logs exclusively without any additional lump charcoal, the logs provide enough moisture when they burn that I don't need a water pan.

This is what the bacon looks like after the first 3 or 4 hours, I rotated one of them so you can see what the underside looks like compared with the top. Clearly the 3 with the red edges have been smoked, while the rotated one looks more like a fried pork chop on its underside. This is the downside to using a pan to catch drippings, you need to rotate the meat for a proper all-around smoke that looks and tastes appealing.
3Q8899.jpg

After 6 or 7 hours of smoking at about 200 degrees I removed the bacon to make way for more meat to go in the smoker.
gNVeQg.jpg

All done and ready to be packaged then refrigerated for slicing.
RdzW4D.jpg

Sliced the bacon as thin as I can with limited patients and an appetite for bacon. The way I cook bacon is similar to how others here have posted in the past, I place it all in a pyrex container and stuff it in the oven cold. Then I set it to 425 and put a 20 min timer on (some ovens may only need 15 mins). This gives me the perfect crisp without burning the bacon in a pan (if you burn the sugar in the bacon it really detracts from the flavor)

Some of the meat appears to blend in with the fat a bit, it has the same color as the under-side of the half cooked bacon because it was probably a spot that was encapsulated by fat, preventing the meat from taking on a smoked color in my opinion. Perhaps if I smoked another 3 or 4 hours it would have attained a red color, maybe I'll try that next time.
h7kRQF.jpg

And the final product, tastes fucking awesome and the pepper is in NO way overpowering, if anything I could have probably put twice the quantity of pepper in there and it would have been just fine. Don't be shy with pepper rubs on pork belly.
gpV7ts.jpg

So thats it. The last things I'd like to add are that I don't add excess nitrates to my brine, the color of the meat comes exclusively from the smoking process. Also a quick note on food safety, it is very important that you cool any brine you make in the refrigerator the day before you intend to put the meat in. A brine needs to be heated so you put all that salt and sugar into solution, then it needs to be cooled down to refrigerator temps. Adding cold meat to a brine that isn't cold can make people extremely sick, so don't do that.

Needless to say this is way better than anything you can buy in a store, its the best bacon I've ever had.

Last edited:
i used to bring mine to a local grocer that i know and they sliced it for me, then i shrink wrapped it in 1 lb. portions

now i have a full size slicer at work :-D

im pretty sure you're not going to get a red coloring very deep without using nitrite, unfortunately.

i also find it easier and less space-consuming to do a dry-brine in a 2 gallon ziplock vs. a wet brine in a giant container. just flip the meat every day and rub the brine around.

Last edited:
I second the dry cure vs the brine. I'd also say I leave the skin on during the smoking and remove it once the bacon has finished smoking that way it just literally peels right off.

hey i finally got around to doing this... i forgot about your thread and followed Allton Browns recipe. I did not have as nice of a cut of belly as you did but next time i do it im gonna put in a order from the butcher so it should be a lot nicer. Also have you ever tried any of the rub only cures? there was one taht was maple and brown sugar paste rubbed on then into a zip lock bag and set in the fridge for 7 days before smoking. I wanna try that next. anyway here is some pics of mine....

11692601_10153407734227480_518139638106050342_n.jpg

11745418_10153415104792480_2740122446008027084_n.jpg

11742876_10153415657902480_6652373376071483426_n.jpg

When I am with my friend on vacations we eat at Korean places a lot. Pork belly #1 awesome. I like 10X better than traditional bacon. It is a lovely greasy piece of meat, but not gross greasy. (if that makes sense?)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samgyeopsal

I just had Korean bacon for the first time. I was disappointed, it wasn't as flavorful and delicious as normal bacon. I would say it's 10x worse (still good, though, just not bacon awesome).

Galbi/kalbi though, that's another story. I fell in love with it.

whats your cure? and whats your opinion on leaving the skin on while curing and smoking?

I used the basic dry cure recipe from a book called Charcuterie, plus about a quarter cup of maple syrup. The bacon turned out really tasty. Best I've ever had, not bad for a first attempt.

As for the skin, if I were to make belly bacon again, I would probably go without it. After cooking I just threw if away because I don't like rind on my bacon.

Since I made this bacon, I've made several batches of wet-cured Wiltshire bacon (pork loin with a bit of belly on it), kasseller pork chops (wet-cured n smoked pork loin chops), corned beef and pastrami. Now that we're getting into the fall I'm planning to cure a shitload of pork hocks to have through the winter.

I used the basic dry cure recipe from a book called Charcuterie, plus about a quarter cup of maple syrup. The bacon turned out really tasty. Best I've ever had, not bad for a first attempt.

As for the skin, if I were to make belly bacon again, I would probably go without it. After cooking I just threw if away because I don't like rind on my bacon.

Since I made this bacon, I've made several batches of wet-cured Wiltshire bacon (pork loin with a bit of belly on it), kasseller pork chops (wet-cured n smoked pork loin chops), corned beef and pastrami. Now that we're getting into the fall I'm planning to cure a shitload of pork hocks to have through the winter.

have never done a dry cure... guess its time to look it up. one of my best ever batches was a maple cure.
11751423_10153448454037480_5803982183671312339_n.jpg

it was really good but my only gripe about it is. the bacon grease is not right. we always save the grease for other cooking but that batch was like a grease syrup mix. it would never solidify.. we threw it out cause it was gross.

ohh and why not slice the skin and fry it making pork rinds. slap some hot suace on em and you got a great snack.

I'm not a big fan pork rinds, so may as well just skip it.

I've never had much fat render out of my belly or loin, so saving it isn't really an option. I also don't have much fat render out when I cook the rashers for breakfast.

For the price and quality of store bought bacon, I definitely won't be going back to it.

odd i get plenty of fat rendering out of mine. not as much as store bought but still enough to save.

agree i have not bought store bacon since i started making my own batches.

My next big meat project is stuffing my own sausage. I recently acquired an electric meat grinder from Cabela's. I'm really looking forward to it.

Back