[Google] Shit's getting real in China.

For those that are wondering why their Google stock is plummeting like Lucifer from Heaven:

Official Google Blog: A new approach to China

Google threat a rare show of defiance in China - Forbes.com

The blogspot post was linked in an earlier thread, but then there's this:

Statement on Google Operations in China

Big trouble brewing in little China, folks. I, as a Chinese person with relatives in and out of China, seriously applaud this move. Amazingly, my parents think this is all some huge conspiracy from Google and the US government (they're pretty brainwashed by the Chinese news we get) and that the Chinese government is in the right.

They think the main issues between China and Google are intellectual properties that Google stole from writers, which just goes to show the extent that China can spin/cover up the truth. My parents seem to represent a startling number of peers in and out of China. You really have to give it to Google to make a stand in a country where government support is a necessity to business survival.

tl;dr haiku -

Google gets hacked
Censorship isn't right
Ching Chong China's wrong

thanks for your post. interesting to hear from someone who is in a position to see both sides.

the whole thing is kinda odd to me personally cause i know no one who lives in such a censored state. Crazy to think that in todays world people still have to rely solely on what the TV news tells them and for the most part they believe it.

i always wonder how people in north korea feel whenever (if ever) they see anything from the outside world

So the Chinese government is saying that Google stole from the Chinese? :rofl:
Before anyone gets confused: there was an earlier issue where the Chinese government accused Google of stealing intellectual property and used the argument as leverage for censorship (someone fact check me).

This is the sticking point that's been floating around for a while now, and my parents think that Google is a bunch of evil wrongdoers and that the Chinese government is trying to protect its people from theft.

Also, images -

5xJmy.jpg

vinn7a.jpg

wtf...how do you keep coming up with these gems?

(note to self - google 'chinese drywall')

well whenever you see an uninformed right wing opinion you can pretty much guess the source 99% of the time correctly

hint: the source's name starts with 'r' and ends with 'ush limbaugh'

If you have not watched the Vice Guide to North Korea, you must.

+1 to this, awesome documentary

edit: vsb.tv has tons of great stuff just like this. the metal in iraq one was great too, but i dont think you can watch it on there anymore.

Last edited:
i remember when google and yahoo went to china and agreed with their govt to censor the internet content, ask.com used that against them and gained a lot of regular users. i understand going over there based purely on business but to censor the net...

who uses ask for their searches?

Big trouble brewing in little China, folks. I, as a Chinese person with relatives in and out of China, seriously applaud this move. Amazingly, my parents think this is all some huge conspiracy from Google and the US government (they're pretty brainwashed by the Chinese news we get) and that the Chinese government is in the right.

They think the main issues between China and Google are intellectual properties that Google stole from writers, which just goes to show the extent that China can spin/cover up the truth. My parents seem to represent a startling number of peers in and out of China. You really have to give it to Google to make a stand in a country where government support is a necessity to business survival.

tl;dr haiku -

Google gets hacked
Censorship isn't right
Ching Chong China's wrong

I wonder if the younger Chinese generations are more skeptical about the Chinese government's story... but I guess I can't see how they'd be since they probably know nothing about Google besides what they're told by their censored media.

Oh, and :lol: at the haiku

what can google do with copyright claims in a country that doesnt care about what we do or give a shit about our copyright laws

Do azn folks really have smaller dinghies?
Uhh...the boats I saw in China tended to be about average size, but some of the watercraft I saw floating around looked like strapped together bits of flotsam and jetsam. I rode on a raft that was just a bunch of trees lashed together with twine and driven by a small man with a big stick. It was awesome.

Not sure if I answered your question.

Back