how many potatoes does it take to kill an irishman

The classic Irish man's dilemma: Do I eat the potato or do I let it ferment so I can drink it later?

The potato was single-handedly responsible for close to doubling the world population between 1800 and 1900. True story.

potatoes have the exact same number of chromosomes as someone with down's syndrome.

3/4 Irish, mother 100% Irish from Charlestown Massachusetts

1. Potatoes were apparently capable of easily growing in a lot of arid regions of China where they largely thought fallow and unable to grow any crops.

2. Potatoes also have significantly more nutrients than most crops at the time, so people on a steady diet of potatoes tended to live longer and healthier than those who didn't..

3. Ireland's potato famine was a direct result of a new farming technique designed to increase harvest yield. The problem was that very technique allowed potato blight to spread more efficiently through the crops. Some researchers had theorized that had the older farming techniques been kept, the famine would have been significantly reduced or avoided altogether.

That's probably not what your parents meant when they said you were conceived in a Cherokee.

Back