Godzilla! Huge Earthquake in Japan

TEPCO press release on the #4 reactor (earlier today)

At approximately 6:00am, a loud explosion was heard from within the
power station. Afterwards, it was confirmed that the 4th floor rooftop
area of the Unit 4 Nuclear Reactor Building had sustained damage.

After usage, fuel is stored in a pool designated for spent fuel.

Plant conditions as well as potential outside radiation effects are
currently under investigation.

TEPCO, along with other involved organizations, is doing its best to
contain the situation. Simultaneously, the surrounding environment is
being kept under constant surveillance.

Reactor #1 and # 3: Hydrogen explosion, building damaged.

Reactor #2: Explosion heard near the suppression pool. Possible damage to containment vessel. They reported a pressure drop from 3 AU to 1 AU and a rise in radiation. (building damaged from explosion #3)

Building #4 (spent fuel pool, is a reactor but has been reconfigured) Explosion that damaged the building and fire possibly due to hydrogen from boiling pool or something else. Not a lot of info was certain on this.

Ok, where's the suppression pool? I thought the suppression pool was that ring.

Ok yeah.
Containment building - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In a BWR, the containment strategy is a bit different. A BWR's containment consists of a drywell where the reactor and associated cooling equipment is located and a wetwell. The drywell is much smaller than a PWR containment and plays a larger role. During the theoretical leakage design basis accident the reactor coolant flashes to steam in the drywell, pressurizing it rapidly. Vent pipes or tubes from the drywell direct the steam below the water level maintained in the wetwell (also known as a torus or suppression pool), condensing the steam, limiting the pressure ultimately reached.

from the thing that jomo posted...they said two square holes measuring 8 meters x 8 meters.

didn't realize it was #4 - so not as dangerous as it would be if it was an active reactor i guess

I heard on NHK last night that #4 doesn't have a containment building since it only had spent rods or something.

One thing is for sure, they need to come up with a better naming/numbering scheme for plants/reactors.

The outside "containment" shells. The ones that have huge holes and have blown up, dont do shit. They are there as a roof. Its the inside containment units anyone needs to worry about. So the fact that they are missing is kind of whatever.

From what I gather, the spent fuel pool (in reactor #4) is something like this:

3575263476_359863776f.jpg

spent-fuel-pool.jpg

That would be the only way that 'dropping water from helicopters' would make sense.

Would be nice if we got some real info on the reactors. "Damage to containment vessel" still makes you guess what was actually damaged. It's more complex than some room that's leaking.

Containment has already been breached.

Yes, I know the fire is out now.

Japan Earthquake Update (15 March 2011, 06:15 CET)

Japanese authorities informed the IAEA that there has been an explosion at the Unit 2 reactor at the Fukushima Daiichi plant. The explosion occurred at around 06:20 on 15 March local Japan time.

Japanese authorities also today informed the IAEA at 04:50 CET that the spent fuel storage pond at the Unit 4 reactor of the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant is on fire and radioactivity is being released directly into the atmosphere.

Dose rates of up to 400 millisievert per hour have been reported at the site. The Japanese authorities are saying that there is a possibility that the fire was caused by a hydrogen explosion.

The IAEA is seeking further information on these developments.

The IAEA continues to liaise with the Japanese authorities and is monitoring the situation as it evolves.

Japanese authorities also today informed the IAEA at 04:50 CET that the spent fuel storage pond at the Unit 4 reactor of the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant is on fire and radioactivity is being released directly into the atmosphere.

The type or radioactive material being released has a half life of miliseconds. Its the same thing that happend at 3 mile island. For the past 30 years they have been doing tests at and around 3 mile island and have found no detrimental effects.

Conclusion: You have no idea wtf you're talking about.

also, you think the people who own that building get to keep the boat?

not trying to be insensitive but I mean how the fuck are they gonna get it off of there?

Back