WAR is officially dead, looks like WoW is the winner

Sir Lucius

Veteran XX
I would like to officially declare WarHammer Online as dead. I base this on a few factors.

First, DactheHork, long time beta supporter of WAR has officially quit; his thread can be seen here: Cancelled Account by DacTheHork - TribalWar Forums

Then, all the people I know who quit WoW for WAR, claiming WAR to be the official WoW-killer, and WoW to be a stupid dumb game, have gone back to WoW. The superstar of the group, our very own Benedict Falhawk.

Personally, I can see why this happened. I actually had a chance to play WAR, up until level 10 where I decided it was not all that it claimed to be (a casual PVP encounter game with no grinding). There was also the issue of animation. In short, the animations were terrible, and it didn't help any that level of detail animations dropped frames at higher distances. WoW may have some ugly low resolution textures on some objects, and fairly simple geometry, but everything is fluid and believable. I think the lack of fluid motion in WAR hurt it the most since it kept people distant from the actual game world.

Which will lead me into why I think people are going back to WoW. WoW has a lot of grindy, unenjoyable shit; it can be frustrating, it can make you hate other people in real life, it can cause divorce and some cases even death. Why would people play a game like this? My guess is that people invest themselves emotionally into the world. It does such a great job of creating an alternative environment that even though you may derive the worst emotions out of the game, it's only because the opposite is true as well. WAR didn't have that, it didn't piss you off, but it never really made you feel good. It was absolutely mediocre.

I still don't plan on coming back to WoW. I recognize it as a great game, and it can be a ton of fun, but I know it brings out the worst in people. It's also a huge waste of time, /played is one of the most depressing things you can do in game. Maybe when I'm 70 years old and World of StarWarcraft Advanced 15th expansion is out it'll give me something good to escape to. Or maybe if I get aids, or brain cancer or something I could use it then. But right now I think there are other things that need doing. That's not to say the rest of you should stop playing, I hope you're enjoying it. I hope you also get a smug feeling like I do seeing another fantasy MMO fail.

RIP Warhammer Online. September 2008-November 2008

Last edited:
WAR was completely boring IMO, it was fun for the first 5 minutes, but the spell casting animations are just complete shit, there is no effort put into any of the animations, so the classes get boring really fast.

That and the fact that it is complicated as hell (for me, at least) killed it for me. I hate having to ask questions every 2 seconds. I had no idea wtf a renown level and the other one was, and still don't...

i feel the same about wow... played it, quit twice (or was it seven times), i admit its one of the best games ive played... but no way am i touching it again. nor will i touch another mmo for a while.

great post btw.

Last edited:
Different strokes for different folks I guess.

I played WoW for a bit, didn't like it and soon realized that I'm not a fan of spending shit tons of hours raiding to get good gear, only to have that gear be obsolete and all that time be basically wasted. Also, forced to pvp in crappy gear only to be killed by people who spent 50 hours a week raiding for good gear. The fact that it is so gear based is what made it meh, to me.

Some people like that though.

Horrible graphics engine, same scenariors over and over, shitty animations, broken mechanics, etc. made it a very un-enjoyable game for me.

While WoW isn't anything special itself, I enjoy the flow of the game much better and have a lot more fun playing with friends in WoW than WAR for some reason.

There's no better time to quit and come back, either. Gotta love gear resets, I replaced a Kil'Jaeden hat with a blue quest reward today thanks to a need for +hit.

That and the fact that it is complicated as hell (for me, at least) killed it for me. I hate having to ask questions every 2 seconds. I had no idea wtf a renown level and the other one was, and still don't...

wow, you sound utterly retarded

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

I played WoW for a bit, didn't like it and soon realized that I'm not a fan of spending shit tons of hours raiding to get good gear, only to have that gear be obsolete and all that time be basically wasted. Also, forced to pvp in crappy gear only to be killed by people who spent 50 hours a week raiding for good gear. The fact that it is so gear based is what made it meh, to me.

Some people like that though.

Pve gear wasn't *that* much better than the current season's pvp gear. Yes, there's a few exceptions such as glaives, but I never felt truly disadvantaged in my full pvp gear - and in most cases, depending on the class, pvp gear was, well, better for pvp than pve gear... like it should be. If you're comparing it so the crappy starter blue pvp gear or something, then well.... duh? I never saw the inside of a raid instance after Grull's and have always had the best pvp gear available at the time and had gotten gladiator every season /shrug.

Also, War would've been good if the combat was sped up and not sluggish, lvling was faster, and there was actual end game pvp content.

I would like to officially declare WarHammer Online as dead. I base this on a few factors.

First, DactheHork, long time beta supporter of WAR has officially quit; his thread can be seen here: Cancelled Account by DacTheHork - TribalWar Forums

Then, all the people I know who quit WoW for WAR, claiming WAR to be the official WoW-killer, and WoW to be a stupid dumb game, have gone back to WoW. The superstar of the group, our very own Benedict Falhawk.

Personally, I can see why this happened. I actually had a chance to play WAR, up until level 10 where I decided it was not all that it claimed to be (a casual PVP encounter game with no grinding). There was also the issue of animation. In short, the animations were terrible, and it didn't help any that level of detail animations dropped frames at higher distances. WoW may have some ugly low resolution textures on some objects, and fairly simple geometry, but everything is fluid and believable. I think the lack of fluid motion in WAR hurt it the most since it kept people distant from the actual game world.

Which will lead me into why I think people are going back to WoW. WoW has a lot of grindy, unenjoyable shit; it can be frustrating, it can make you hate other people in real life, it can cause divorce and some cases even death. Why would people play a game like this? My guess is that people invest themselves emotionally into the world. It does such a great job of creating an alternative environment that even though you may derive the worst emotions out of the game, it's only because the opposite is true as well. WAR didn't have that, it didn't piss you off, but it never really made you feel good. It was absolutely mediocre.

I still don't plan on coming back to WoW. I recognize it as a great game, and it can be a ton of fun, but I know it brings out the worst in people. It's also a huge waste of time, /played is one of the most depressing things you can do in game. Maybe when I'm 70 years old and World of StarWarcraft Advanced 15th expansion is out it'll give me something good to escape to. Or maybe if I get aids, or brain cancer or something I could use it then. But right now I think there are other things that need doing. That's not to say the rest of you should stop playing, I hope you're enjoying it. I hope you also get a smug feeling like I do seeing another fantasy MMO fail.

RIP Warhammer Online. September 2008-November 2008
war is better than wow

i dont think any sane person would have thought war would kill wow

too many losers are too addicted to wow.

but by saying war is better than wow, i dont mean to infer that war is good. war and wow are both pretty trashy.

wow is just trashier.

war is better than wow

i dont think any sane person would have thought war would kill wow

too many losers are too addicted to wow.

but by saying war is better than wow, i dont mean to infer that war is good. war and wow are both pretty trashy.

wow is just trashier.

I guess if by having a better engine, combat mechanics, competitive endgame pvp system, and overall more polished gameplay makes it trashier, then yeah, I guess it is. All War had going for itself was being able to lvl via pvp. Everything else was just fail. I really wanted to like it, but couldn't.

wow came at the right time. when world of warcraft came out can you name one "big" mmo? i mean sure everquest was out but by the time wow came out eq had its few year dynasty, eq had out dated graphics and was due to be pushed off as they put out "everquest 2"

I think wow isnt so much about an amazing game. just something semi decent and made to be very addicting.

I guess if by having a better engine, combat mechanics, competitive endgame pvp system, and overall more polished gameplay makes it trashier, then yeah, I guess it is. All War had going for itself was being able to lvl via pvp. Everything else was just fail. I really wanted to like it, but couldn't.
sorry are you referring to arena dueling ladders being a competitive endgame pvp system?

cool

lol

Back