Creatine or Protein?

sheeptaur

Veteran X
I am a avid cyclist and now that school is over, i'm riding a lot more. During school I rode 3-5 days a week for about 7 months (both road and MTB). Now with school off, I ride about 6-7 days a week, with on/off days, but much longer because of fewer races.

i'm looking to maximize my workouts. I want to start taking a supplement to help my body a) recovery and b) be healthier for workouts. Should I start taking creatine or protein?

I read the thread about creatine, which helped, and of lot of my friends take it (wrestlers) and recommend it (obviously using it correctly, hydrating, and doing loading cycles). However, they also take Glutamine (sp?) and say that helps for faster recovery (which is what I really need.) Also, I've heard protein shakes are excellent for muscle growth and recovery.

advice would be much appriecated.

cliffs:
ride 100-175 miles a week.
protein/creatine/glutamine?
kthx.

you should have no problem taking all three, but I think that just for bike ridding... you do not need the creatine... IMO

UgotME said:
you should have no problem taking all three, but I think that just for bike ridding... you do not need the creatine... IMO

ya after researching a lot of it (and calling my buddy who lifts for wrestling, he said out of the 3, Creatine is the least needed (however i still might take real low doses of it, just to keep my muscles hyrdated...i drink a ton of water anyway)

unless you are lifting weights and trying to put on some mass, i would throw creatine out of the picture as you will just be wasting your time. imo just take protein and an amino acid blend (with glutamine in it) for the best results. i would also use some sort of sport drink like gatorade(powder) or pure dextrose after your workout to replenish your muscles with the glycogen they just lost.

CleaRShoT said:
unless you are lifting weights and trying to put on some mass, i would throw creatine out of the picture as you will just be wasting your time. imo just take protein and an amino acid blend (with glutamine in it) for the best results. i would also use some sort of sport drink like gatorade(powder) or pure dextrose after your workout to replenish your muscles with the glycogen they just lost.

this is exactly what i was leaning towards for a while. just need some good imput.

i think the protein/ aminoacid w/ glutamine = teh win.

this is the most retarded forum to ask that question, and everything everyone has said has been wrong in one form or the other.

Yeah, im going for mass and lifting weights.

I just need to go to the local and pick me up some protein and creatine and glutamine

Don't know how true it is, But I heard an interview with the author of "the Juice", Will Carroll on WEEI this morning that Creatine is the more likely reason for all the Hamstring and oblique injuries that plague sports today. He went on to say that Steroids are more than likely responsible for Tear injuries where muscles and shit get torn from the bone.

sheeptaur said:
this is exactly what i was leaning towards for a while. just need some good imput.

i think the protein/ aminoacid w/ glutamine = teh win.

Don't Forget u need to be useing fat for your main energy source becuase u can use it long with out geting burnt out don't rely on carbs fats the way to go!

ThrillKillKulT said:
Don't know how true it is, But I heard an interview with the author of "the Juice", Will Carroll on WEEI this morning that Creatine is the more likely reason for all the Hamstring and oblique injuries that plague sports today. He went on to say that Steroids are more than likely responsible for Tear injuries.

yeah i would not be surprised. im not a huge fan of creatine, dont think it does much other than give you a psychological mindset that your muscles are getting bigger by just holding more water. eating nutritional 'whole' foods with a multi and protein shake is best way imo

Jelly said:
Yeah, im going for mass and lifting weights.

I just need to go to the local and pick me up some protein and creatine and glutamine

Leave out the creatine. You should get a base before you start wasting your money on that stuff.

Being an american you likely have far more protein than necessary, even weightlifting has minimal effect on the body's demand for it. Creatine is probably overkill aswell for biking. Remember that your body has plenty of both without the help of special supplements, so if you like your body and wanna keep your kidneys, i suggest you just eat healthy, drink enough and do a responsible-minded workout making your body increase its own efficiency over time.

I used to work at Planet Smoothie in B'ham, AL and I work out every day at LSU... (credibility). If you're looking for mass gains, then start loading with creatine for a week BEFORE workouts, and have a dose of protein AFTER working out (43% DV is normal for shakes). Creatine is typically used for short bursts of energy-burn, like track meets, basketball, or weightlifting. For longterm burns (like cycling), you're better off without it and just hydrating yourself as best you can. But, you should still up your intake of protein to help your muscles increase stamina.

Back