Will Tribes:V Lack New Things and Favor the Junkies over the New?

Alot of the Die Hard here seem to want a Tribes that will only favor their entering in the game and leave newbies in the cold. Much worse than the T2 Curve even.

Think about over simplifying. Some here want no turrets few vehicles and little in the way except the basic weapons basic packs and nothing new. Nothing new because they would have to learn it. And it would also taint the tribes feel they love. Kind of like the old generals refusing to take cover when the rifle was invented because they loved lining up and doing it the old way.

So few want any real change... they want their dueling. they want their HO raping. and nothing to change that. Not only have the majority of us lived through 2 games of this (and some are getting really sick of the same T1 *feel* over and over) we also have the exp. to back us up in any future game. the top T1 teams had a huge edge over the T1 teams reborn. the only way the newer players could catch up was to assume a huge learning curve.

T2 has alot of new stuff wiz-bag vehicles and cloaking and turrets and all sort of defense and base defense stuff. This allowed at least for newbies to take a "stair" approach to the game. lay turrets fly bombers and always learn until they could compete with the T1 old. Also the vastness of the T2 arsenal and neatoness provided a good selling point.

Its good they have some new weapons and some changes. phsyics changes might be a must or new players will get reemed. If this thing turns out to be ANOTHER REHASHED T1 mod nobody new will break into it except with extreme will.... at that i dont think it would sell too well saying its "simple faster and just like ol T1". Maybe doing it like T2s play is wrong. but i think it will work better than trying to make it just like Tribes 1 again and again and again.

I think we need newness, new weapons, new objects for farming and defense, (deployables in general) new phsyics, new dueling methods, new competition methods, different behavior of weapons and good vehicles serving a variety of purpose including base assault capping and base defense.... Not to mention making staples since T1 finally work the the CC and sensor net being useful.

If its the stripped down T1 that some want so bad then the learning curve will be incredible and smooth without the ability to climb it very high. No newbie would want a stripped down T1 with less weapons less gadgets and less vehicles than T2, only to face the elite oldies killing them over and over while rudely spraying taunts spams and other jerkish things that some of the egos do today.

The game needs a way to acend the the game. deployables and neat things to do are a must. Also to keep a new person entertained we need a large number of jobs he cant do. from farmer, to pilot, to support, to repair monkey. HO,HoF,LD,Capper and Spammer arnt much fun to break into in a game.

Simple might be a very very bad thing for this game. maybe they should release a mod with the game with no turrets, no vehicles, basic weapons, 4 packs and remade T1 maps. than that community will be happy and hopefully die off in the life of this game. I loved T1, but its time to let the thing die. Also the games marketing potential and ability for newbies to climb needs to be made sure it is well adressed. The other option is to completely to change the way the game feels so that the new and old will have to learn to play the game.

Im sure ill get flamed by some weirdos who have played T1 and its incarnations too much and dont understand that the game needs to evolve and change but hopfully disagreements would be constructive.

Last edited:
Well, if you had been keeping up with the news, you'd know that your worries are unfounded.

There are tons of new features in the game. The idea of simple only refers to individual concepts (KISS system). In that, the best way to ski would be holding a button rather than tapping a button for example. It does not mean take away all the vehicles and weapons and turn the game into LT.

Im reading the news but its still to early to say anything is definite. even now it could take a directions towards vastly different concepts. the new things they talk about are great. (the unrealish dungeon indoor screenshots are not :eek: ) But im sure they know better than to turn it into Unreal Tribes. Im optimistic worried is all...

Anyone know how the life system will work?... will there be one hit kills of any sort? (even sniper one hit kills are not my idea of fun) If ya want snipers add muscle tremors and wind effects... hell even add fixing your sights.... I hate how people want sniping without any difficult except what lag gives. Hopefully they will also give mine disking the boot.

Last edited:
SS,

On the most basic level, our goals have been to make T:V easier for new players, but with more headroom for the advanced players. To that end we've made the movement physics easier to learn, and harder to master. We've simplified systems which were confusing to new players, without removing the strategic complexity that the war-gamers among us like.

What you've seen so far is mostly the stuff that carries over from T1 and/or T2. The new stuff we're holding under wraps for as long as possible. I think you'll be happy with the end result, both it it's ability to draw in new players who can compete at a higher level, and the ability for the elite players to expand their horizons and show just how good a FPS player can be.

As for your question on one hit kills, only the same one hit kills that we had in the previous games (mortar). The sniper still requires two shots to kill a light.

Last edited:
Sp!nfusor Salad said:
(the unrealish dungeon indorr screenshots are not :eek: )

Base interriors? I think they've been looking excellant. All of them are very open, and some of them are for the single player. I've seen maybe one or two screenshots of interriors that actually looked like a bland UT nothing level, but for the most part everything's looked very stylized and tribeish to me.

Sp!nfusor Salad said:
Alot of the Die Hard here seem to want a Tribes that will only favor their entering in the game and leave newbies in the cold. Much worse than the T2 Curve even.

Think about over simplifying. Some here want no turrets few vehicles and little in the way except the basic weapons basic packs and nothing new. Nothing new because they would have to learn it. And it would also taint the tribes feel they love. Kind of like the old generals refusing to take cover when the rifle was invented because they loved lining up and doing it the old way.

So few want any real change... they want their dueling. they want their HO raping. and nothing to change that. Not only have the majority of us lived through 2 games of this (and some are getting really sick of the same T1 *feel* over and over) we also have the exp. to back us up in any future game. the top T1 teams had a huge edge over the T1 teams reborn. the only way the newer players could catch up was to assume a huge learning curve.

T2 has alot of new stuff wiz-bag vehicles and cloaking and turrets and all sort of defense and base defense stuff. This allowed at least for newbies to take a "stair" approach to the game. lay turrets fly bombers and always learn until they could compete with the T1 old. Also the vastness of the T2 arsenal and neatoness provided a good selling point.

Its good they have some new weapons and some changes. phsyics changes might be a must or new players will get reemed. If this thing turns out to be ANOTHER REHASHED T1 mod nobody new will break into it except with extreme will.... at that i dont think it would sell too well saying its "simple faster and just like ol T1". Maybe doing it like T2s play is wrong. but i think it will work better than trying to make it just like Tribes 1 again and again and again.

I think we need newness, new weapons, new objects for farming and defense, (deployables in general) new phsyics, new dueling methods, new competition methods, different behavior of weapons and good vehicles serving a variety of purpose including base assault capping and base defense.... Not to mention making staples since T1 finally work the the CC and sensor net being useful.

If its the stripped down T1 that some want so bad then the learning curve will be incredible and smooth without the ability to climb it very high. No newbie would want a stripped down T1 with less weapons less gadgets and less vehicles than T2, only to face the elite oldies killing them over and over while rudely spraying taunts spams and other jerkish things that some of the egos do today.

The game needs a way to acend the the game. deployables and neat things to do are a must. Also to keep a new person entertained we need a large number of jobs he cant do. from farmer, to pilot, to support, to repair monkey. HO,HoF,LD,Capper and Spammer arnt much fun to break into in a game.

Simple might be a very very bad thing for this game. maybe they should release a mod with the game with no turrets, no vehicles, basic weapons, 4 packs and remade T1 maps. than that community will be happy and hopefully die off in the life of this game. I loved T1, but its time to let the thing die. Also the games marketing potential and ability for newbies to climb needs to be made sure it is well adressed. The other option is to completely to change the way the game feels so that the new and old will have to learn to play the game.

Im sure ill get flamed by some weirdos who have played T1 and its incarnations too much and dont understand that the game needs to evolve and change but hopfully disagreements would be constructive.

I'd like a list of specific persons who are asking for either:

1. A rehashed version of T1.

OR

2. A game which rejects newbies.

Can you name anyone?

Don't worry about being lynched. This is TT, and flame wars get locked and trolls get banned.

All I see is you dodging my question.

Name some people who want T:V to be a rehash of T1. Just names.

I dont engage in a trash talk session of a forum... I fyou really want to know meet in #UNS on IRC.dynamix.com and ill tell ya what ya want to know... I dont bad mouth on TW... it begets badmouthing :eek:

You serious Zooloo? There's lots of posts that say make it like T1.

But in each of those posts, Thrax replies with..

"Sorry to burst your bubble, we are making a NEW game, not T1 or T2."

Sometimes he goes on to explain why, much in the way he did above. Even from the very first posts at T3.org concerning Vengeance they've stated they are NOT remaking T1 or T2.

However, we continually see posts from people begging for it to be like T1.

I'm not sure if you could say everyone asking for a feature of T1 to be in T:V wanting T1. But they're were some posts here that did say, "Make it T1 with better graphics."

Sp!nfusor Salad said:
I dont engage in a trash talk session of a forum... I fyou really want to know meet in #UNS on IRC.dynamix.com and ill tell ya what ya want to know... I dont bad mouth on TW... it begets badmouthing :eek:

Another words you dont know what your on about and you've been asleep for the past couple of months. it has been said many times that this game is not going to be either t1 or t2, there will be a tone of new things. And 90% of the things you just wrote have just been explained :/
I like t1 and i hate t2 but im not one of those who want t:v to be a t1 with better graphics.

btw cappable vehicles etc...
um #1 vehicles ruling maps sucked.
#2 map design in t2 was utterly shit.
#3 new packs new etc is retarded. In most games you have 10 different weapons but only 3 are really unique the rest are just copies with different attributes.

Only well thought out and useful weapons should be implemented.. The missile launcher lol.

Seriously they had 3 gernades... how many did people actually use?

KillerONE said:

That's not unique to tribes1 players. I've seen quite a few tribes2 players make a thread about why the game shouldn't be like tribes1 when I've never seen them in any of the Tribes Vengenace discussions.

Basically, some people who don't throw their lives away, like zoolooman and myself, don't know enough information, or do not have enough of an understanding of the information about tribes vengeance to warrent their worries.

KillerONE said:
You serious Zooloo? There's lots of posts that say make it like T1.

But in each of those posts, Thrax replies with..

"Sorry to burst your bubble, we are making a NEW game, not T1 or T2."

Sometimes he goes on to explain why, much in the way he did above. Even from the very first posts at T3.org concerning Vengeance they've stated they are NOT remaking T1 or T2.

I'm not sure if you could say everyone asking for a feature of T1 to be in T:V wanting T1. But they're were some posts here that did say, "Make it T1 with better graphics."

Name names. These people showed up once and left long ago. Or they said that once, and then became converts to the idea that T:V will be something new.

Find me one stalwart advocate, and I'll be satisfied. But this isn't a problem with TW in the least. I don't see any trolls replying to every thread with, 'MAKE IT T1 WITH NEW GRAPHICS!" Not in a long time.

Back