Your desks, show them to me

Haven't quite figured out where the PC will go. I don't want to just sit it on the ground

Yah just sit it on the ground on two bits of wood so it's just off the ground. If that's a monitor stand in the corner will you fill in the 90 angle with a 45 bit? With skirt/support underneath trick is to use something strong and thin. You want your legs to fit under it without pushing the keyboard up too high... so you want the desk to stay pretty slim with the skirt/under_frame included. Also, cause sometimes I might do steering wheel I have the skirt set back a bit so enough room to clamp steering wheel onto desk without the clamp bits hitting the skirt. Obviously i screwed the skirt to the desk from the underside so you don't see it from above. Screwing on slight angle is stronger than dead perpendicular.

Also..

Jesus was a carpenter.

Looks good.

Yah just sit it on the ground on two bits of wood so it's just off the ground. If that's a monitor stand in the corner will you fill in the 90 angle with a 45 bit? With skirt/support underneath trick is to use something strong and thin. You want your legs to fit under it without pushing the keyboard up too high... so you want the desk to stay pretty slim with the skirt/under_frame included. Also, cause sometimes I might do steering wheel I have the skirt set back a bit so enough room to clamp steering wheel onto desk without the clamp bits hitting the skirt. Obviously i screwed the skirt to the desk from the underside so you don't see it from above. Screwing on slight angle is stronger than dead perpendicular.

Also..

Jesus was a carpenter.

Looks good.
I actually lopped off a 45 cut on the monitor stand for my modem. Each of the openings will have equipment in it. I have external drives, modem, router and ill be adding some other stuff. The shelf is 7" high to the bottom but the modem is 16" tall. So i clipped that corner and that will be where the modem sits, partially hidden by the TV but still viewable/accessible

jbl lsr305 x 2 powered monitors
jbl lsr310s sub
schiit modi 3 dac
schiit magni 2 uber headphone amp
sennheiser hd6xx
emotiva control freak
blue snowflake

0I95hutt_o.jpg

also i hired the woz on cameo and was very impressed w/ his 1991 MDF plastic overlay desk

h9H5pA2.jpg

i half expect him to open a cabinet and see a copy of Sim Ant in there

v impressive for a man w/ 100 million dollars

btw i bet that is a legit ~solid oak~ death star desk from oak express, ur local leader in slave trade slovenian oak furniture

My desk construction is complete. But i borked up the finish

I got it all nice and sanded, routed a nice edge in the desk on all the levels.

My plan was just a nice coat of poly. I had a gallon can that has been on the shelf for apparently too long. Looked good, clear, nothing at all in it that i would think was bad. I stirred it up well

After blowing off the dust, i wiped it down with mineral spirits

I waited an hour or better for the MS to flash off. started putting the poly on and it looks like shit. it started wrinkling and cracking. so either the mineral spirits weren't completely dry or the poly was too old..or both. Going to have to sand it all back down again and go get fresh/new stuff and go at it again

If the poly isn't penetrating you can just scrape it off.... but whatever, I dunno exactly what you did or what the reaction was.

Maybe used an incompatible water based poly over the MS.

Start sanding :/

You could linseed oil it next time and just oil it up every so often. That way there's no film buildup from sealer.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Last edited:
ya if its a computer desk why even use poly, you're not chopping vegetables on this thing

danish oil that mf and let the wood pop

ya if its a computer desk why even use poly, you're not chopping vegetables on this thing

danish oil that mf and let the wood pop

just to keep it looking decent. I have hot coffee cups, cold drinks. Its a satin finish so its not really shiny or anything. just makes everything cleaner looking and gets the wood grain to pop

I just went out and checked it. It actually doesn't look bad, but does have some small bubbles in it. I think i can hit that with 400 grit paper, get a better brush and continue

My desk construction is complete. But i borked up the finish

I got it all nice and sanded, routed a nice edge in the desk on all the levels.

My plan was just a nice coat of poly. I had a gallon can that has been on the shelf for apparently too long. Looked good, clear, nothing at all in it that i would think was bad. I stirred it up well

After blowing off the dust, i wiped it down with mineral spirits

I waited an hour or better for the MS to flash off. started putting the poly on and it looks like shit. it started wrinkling and cracking. so either the mineral spirits weren't completely dry or the poly was too old..or both. Going to have to sand it all back down again and go get fresh/new stuff and go at it again

That sucks man. I don't know if it'll help you but for my desk I used a gel poly from General Finishes that came out really nice. Took some time and work between the layers. Did a few coats with light sanding. The last coat I worked down with 000 or 0000 steel wool than a paper bag (was recommended somewhere).

I ended up leaving mine in a side room for about 30 days afterwards to make sure the poly had fully hardened otherwise the clamps to my monitor arms would have left permanent deformations in the finish. The last time I adjusted the arms there was a slightly compressed area but if you weren't looking you'd barely notice it.

That sucks man. I don't know if it'll help you but for my desk I used a gel poly from General Finishes that came out really nice. Took some time and work between the layers. Did a few coats with light sanding. The last coat I worked down with 000 or 0000 steel wool than a paper bag (was recommended somewhere).

I ended up leaving mine in a side room for about 30 days afterwards to make sure the poly had fully hardened otherwise the clamps to my monitor arms would have left permanent deformations in the finish. The last time I adjusted the arms there was a slightly compressed area but if you weren't looking you'd barely notice it.

Yeah after looking at it today, i think hitting it with a light sanding, then wipe it down and hit it again, then maybe rub it with a cheese cloth

So i went over the whole desk with 220, got everything smoothed down.

Instead of brush, i picked up a electric sprayer. It covered well but some places are still a little juicy. Probably going to take a day or two to dry out and cure

Back