Your desks, show them to me

We can let my thread die now that this thread was bumped. :)

Counter top is the way to go. I like a rounded front edge for comfort, we've been using them for years at work in all the offices. Set a chunk of counter top on a set of file cabinets and you're done.
I think that if I were to provide my fabrication guy some plans, he can build me a stainless steel support frame for under the countertop, as well as some legs. Not totally sure about the legs though but I think some 3" round stainless steel legs would look pretty sweet.

Here are a few pictures of the office I took a few days ago when the room was getting more sun. It's not nearly as blue looking as the original images.

qZbZeiD.jpg

HfHTZJp.jpg

I moved the subwoofer from the left to the right and installed the led strip lights the back rim on the desks
GswyTwy.jpg

The sound system is nice but I think I want to get a hifi DAC for the setup.

Last edited:
the LED light panels on the left inside corner of the wall are called NanoLeaf Light Panels. They are rather expensive, especially when you buy as many as I installed (max of 30 per controller) but they are... bitchen, rad... whatever.

As previously notes, desktop real estate is rather valuable for me so I was going to buy another 200cm x 30cm desk and put it behind me but I knew that I would start to put shit under the desktop, and that would look like shit so, I found a nice... I dunno what to even call this thing... hutch or something. Anyways, it has a nice top that allows me to put stacks of papers on it, without cluttering my desks.

Skc4DmK.jpg

*edit - One of the things i love about Ikea is building the shit. I can build that shit all day long. Anyways, after I brought that thing above home and built it, I noticed that it felt rather dry so I wanted to put some oil on it. I did some research (half-assed it would seem) and based on side-by-side images, bought some oil called Tung oil.

In classic sam fashion... I didn't (RTFM) read the fucking manual and put the tung oil all over the thing and let it sit for an hour, and wiped it all off. The hutch/thing looked awesome and I was happy with it. Next morning I get my coffee and sit in my office and noticed that the hutch/thing was GREY... all greyish with streaks in the wood from where you can see I rubbed the tung oil in. WTF? NOW... I read the manual and it says, "Do not apply on stained wood, faggot!"

Thankfully, I bought some wood wax and waxed the thing right away. Let the wax sit in the wood for a few hours and buffed it out. I can still see the streaks in the wood but... yeah, I might just throw this one away and build a new one.

Here you can see the 2 of the 3 shades of grey in my office. The closet door is much darker while the entry door is a lighter grey (not seen).
3kZt4TS.jpg

I used these 3 greys all throughout my hut.

*edit - found a picture of the lighter grey. (not at home so I can't take a picture. Not in my office.)
YQZDSYV.jpg

Last edited:
I thought that was a sideboard and a credenza attached at right angles to your desk

but thanks for the lesson - EducationEd

also Sam, looks good, your b/f is a pretty good decorator

Not my desk, but I've been organizing it and using it. Neat desk, but the flat filing system has got to go. Brought in the filing cabinet and started making a dent yesterday.
72ccba8830e9f78f1c9ba3d54120db68.jpg
a8da2859bf9e870521a519302e7c9ccb.jpg

Last edited:
We can let my thread die now that this thread was bumped. :)

I think that if I were to provide my fabrication guy some plans, he can build me a stainless steel support frame for under the countertop, as well as some legs. Not totally sure about the legs though but I think some 3" round stainless steel legs would look pretty sweet.

Here are a few pictures of the office I took a few days ago when the room was getting more sun. It's not nearly as blue looking as the original images.

qZbZeiD.jpg

HfHTZJp.jpg

I moved the subwoofer from the left to the right and installed the led strip lights the back rim on the desks
GswyTwy.jpg

The sound system is nice but I think I want to get a hifi DAC for the setup.

Maybe like 2 upgrades and bad techno from the kid from grandma's boy

what do you have them for? just for your music?
No. Just cool to look at while I am up here all day. I have a thing attached that will cause the lights to turn off/on with the rhythm of the music but... nah. I just like them on and slowly changing color. Very clam-like.

samUwell, what are you using for wire/cable management
Under the desk I have a couple of trays that I screwed to the desk. I have a large power bar resting on it that allows me to power up some items. However, I wanted as much of my PC plugged into my APC so I got some cable clips that I have attached under the desk.

9VC6tel.jpg

vyZNsYg.jpg

Under Desk Cable Tray

Pro-Grade, Adhesive-Backed Cable Clamps Combo Pack of 100

I've been thinking of getting rid of the tray and just running power chords over to the APC. The first or second thing you see once you come up my stairs is under my desk so that is one reason why I am so bothered by the cables.

top of stairs
WWIbbJm.jpg

NZkaBYA.jpg

I should be getting my new(er) Edifier sound system for my desk so this weekend I might do some additional cable management because ugh... the cables drive me nuts when I come up the stairs. :lol:

I even got a lil festive last month.
u8nc5OM.jpg

:lol: Tis the season.

Last edited:
I didn't even think of using countertops. I've been looking for solid wood sheets to make the same more or less table...and apparently they don't make them

I didn't even think of using countertops. I've been looking for solid wood sheets to make the same more or less table...and apparently they don't make them
Yeah, countertops all the way. I have also heard some success with using old/custom doors as the desktop.

Counter top was in the first goddamn post jugglenuts. We use the shit out of them on desks here at work.

Sent from my fingers using magical sky talky device

Do you make your legs/supports or do you get them premade from somewhere?
Did you see my original thread? In there I linked a few countertops you can get at Ikea.

The walls are a medium to dark grey. Everything goes with grey.

I've been looking at getting some kitchen wood countertops and use those as the desktops. I like the Ikea black desktops I currently have but every single piece of dust stands out on the black tops.

I'm thinking of getting something like:
BARKABODA Countertop, walnut, veneer, 98x1 1/2 - IKEA
or
KARLBY Countertop for kitchen island, walnut, veneer, 74x42x1 1/2 - IKEA

Because the monitors are wall mounted, I don't need a deep desk and desktop real estate is very valuable.

For the legs and the frame for under the desk for support, I thought about drawing up some plans and sending them over to the metal fabrication guy I use for flashings (work). I think nice thick metal legs will make the desk look industrial. Walnut or dark stain countertop with 3" round metal legs.

Back