Why is Enemy Territory: Quake Wars getting good reviews if it sucks so bad?

It's actually a good game, but so few people actually take the time to understand it. It has alot of depth, and that's what will turn people off from it. They're looking towards games like Halo and UT3 to give them instant satisfaction, but that type of amusement is really short lived.

And jotun, I suggest you try it anyway. Quakewars is by far one of the most infantry centric game that features vehicles. Bullets and Grenades do a reasonable amount of damage to vehicles, so it's entirely possible for some skilled infantry to down a tank rather quickly. In the same respect, it takes alot of skill to pilot vehicles and not get yourself killed in the process, there are so many ways vehicles can be taken out, and quickly, so you need to be paying attention to your surroundings alot more.

Nobody here likes it because it isn't the second coming of [strike]Jesus[/strike] Starsiege: Tribes.

It's actually a good game, but so few people actually take the time to understand it. It has alot of depth, and that's what will turn people off from it. They're looking towards games like Halo and UT3 to give them instant satisfaction, but that type of amusement is really short lived.

And jotun, I suggest you try it anyway. Quakewars is by far one of the most infantry centric game that features vehicles. Bullets and Grenades do a reasonable amount of damage to vehicles, so it's entirely possible for some skilled infantry to down a tank rather quickly. In the same respect, it takes alot of skill to pilot vehicles and not get yourself killed in the process, there are so many ways vehicles can be taken out, and quickly, so you need to be paying attention to your surroundings alot more.

Until people get super good at the vehicles...... Then they will own in them...

Did they fix the ability to rapidly heal a vehicle if you are an engineer?

The only vehicle thats overpowered is the Cyclops because you may actually need some help in taking it out unlike the other vehicles. A good Titan vs a good Cyclops, the Cyclops usually always wins. I think they should lower the health by 500 so 1 hammer shot takes it out.

The fliers and the cyclops are fucking retarded. The rest of the vehicles aren't too bad.

I wouldn't mind seeing them all completely removed in a comp mod though.

the games so linear and only has 3 types of objectives.
After you played one map expect the same damn thing on all the others.

*build something
*hack something
*destroy something
rinse repeat.

was fun for about a week but gets stale real fast.

Game reviews are just like any other business. If you start giving bad reviews, pretty soon the game companies stop sending you the games to review. Other companies won't send you their games, knowing you'll probably give it a bad review (since they know full well when their product sucks). About the only way you could run an honest review business would be to pirate beta copies of the game, but that leads to the problems of A. Theft, and B. "Well it's only a beta!"

*build something
*hack something
*destroy something
rinse repeat.

Thank you for not playing. Forget the capture objectives or the flyer drone objectives or the fact that even the same "type" of objective in a different area of a map completely changes the way you attack it and try to win.

Anyway, to answer Stealth's question... The game is a lot of fun. There are still a lot of tweaks that need to be made to the game and it needs a competition mod (to take out some vehicles and limit some of the more exploitative tactics), but it's really fun.

its ok, reminds me a lot of Enemy Territory which isnt really a bad thing. The demo just seemed to easy to spam turrets or camp and snipe with vehicles

Game reviews are just like any other business. If you start giving bad reviews, pretty soon the game companies stop sending you the games to review. Other companies won't send you their games, knowing you'll probably give it a bad review (since they know full well when their product sucks). About the only way you could run an honest review business would be to pirate beta copies of the game, but that leads to the problems of A. Theft, and B. "Well it's only a beta!"

NextGen magazine did a good job in it's time. Most of the magazines from that time are defunct now anyway, pandering or not.

Quake Wars rocked when I played it in Beta. I even got a lot of enjoyment out of the Demo (even though that map is pretty horrible to pub on).

Haven't played TF2, so I dunno if it's the bestest game since Tribes as everyone on this forum claims. However, Quakewars is a very good game. Here's a shocker: they can BOTH be good games.

Quake Wars rocked when I played it in Beta. I even got a lot of enjoyment out of the Demo (even though that map is pretty horrible to pub on).

Haven't played TF2, so I dunno if it's the bestest game since Tribes as everyone on this forum claims. However, Quakewars is a very good game. Here's a shocker: they can BOTH be good games.

But I play so much TF2 I don't have TIME of anything else multiplayer for the time, and then Hellgate and the Witcher comes out.

I cant play QW:ET :cry:

And from what I hear UT3 is even faster and dumber than before. Such a bad series...

Last edited:
All credit to QW:ET it has to one of the most professional games to have come out in quite awhile with the beta/release and support systems they have had running. The game itself is done quite well along with the solid team around it.

I've been going back and forth between TF2 and ETQW... I enjoy both for way different reasons.

The last couple days I've been playing TF2 WAY more, because my ETQW is having an issue that seems to be prevelant among a lot of users including Tahnit. (who never gave a shit about my PM.) It seems that there is some kind of issue that is causing everyday routers to bog down. And pretty much everyone who has this problem has a bitch of a time getting in and playing without resorting to some alternate means. And the best response I've gotten from dev's is: "your router sucks, buy a new one." Except I've tried several routers I own with the same result. I'm using a linksys wrt54g, and I'm plugged into it. :shrug: I uninstalled today, and will reinstall tomorrow to see if I can get any kind of bettter results. But it's pissing me the fuck off, and putting me off the game.

Sad really, that an issue with some kind of code at the menu, makes me pissed at the game. When I really do like the game play.

*Edit:* IT should also be noted, that I didn't have this problem with Beta 1, Beta 2, or MOST of the demo. (I didn't start having the problem till 2 days before release.) Since then I've tried several routers, and had a system format. And as of today the problem actually got a little worse.

Last edited:
You need to properly configure your port forwarding in the router. I did it for Demo which had a port range for my PC of like 1200-3460 but its changed in retail and I havent really looked for the new range. I just follow one of my friends into servers lol. Lazy.. :|

Even people who play QW disagree with me, but I like the vehicles. I think they are balanced, and really do add to the game.

*build something
*hack something
*destroy something
rinse repeat.

But TW, for the most part, liked BF2. The objectives in that game... lets see cap territories... and cap territories.

PS: What about collecting energy cells and stealing the data brain? Did you actually play the game?

Back