Why don't more people flee the country if sentenced to prison terms?

The only reason Polanski wasn't extradited was because he was a french citizen. (well also that he was famous. but if he was a famous, non-french guy, he would've been extradited.)

Not exactly true. France will not extradite someone convicted in absentia. California refused to retry the case with him present. The citizenship played a role too, but France refuses all extradition requests unless the case is retried.

why don't you just take a boat from a marina and go on a little trip? country hop from one country to another with no extradition treaty until you make it to the maldives because that seems to be the best country

more easily said than done. powerboats don't have that kind of a range, so you'd have to go by sail. not everyone knows how to sail... i'll be the first to tell you it's not rocket science, anyone can learn how pretty quickly, but oceans can be pretty unforgiving, especially to those that don't know what they're doing or don't have a lot of experience under their belt.

Are you positive about this? Source?

Very good read.

Amazon.com: Voices of the Foreign Legion: The History of the World's Most Famous Fighting Corps (9781616080327): Adrian D. Gilbert: Books

Also, a quote from the Wiki.

"In the past, the Legion had a reputation for attracting criminals on the run and would-be mercenaries, but the admissions process is now severely restricted and background checks are performed on all applicants."

Really hard to make it in the modern Legion. Tons of stories of Rangers, Seals, Special Forces washing out of the Legion due to the harsh training, not to mention having to become fluent in French.

Last edited:
So around what year did the FFL decide they were going to have strict entry requirements? I mean I realize you can't be some tub of lard and expect to get in, but for the longest time they've always been open to accepting social misfits from other countries... when did their policy change to say, "sorry we don't want you, you're a fugitive?"

While no serious studies have been made of the motives for enlistment over the years, the majority in the Legion's ranks were either those transient souls in need of escape and a regular wage, or refugees from countries undergoing crises. In recent years, the improved conditions and professionalism of the Legion have in turn attracted a new kind of 'vocational' recruit, from middle-class backgrounds in stable and prosperous countries, such as the US, Britain and France itself.

In the past, the Legion had a reputation for attracting criminals on the run and would-be mercenaries, but the admissions process is now severely restricted and background checks are performed on all applicants. Generally speaking, convicted felons are prohibited from joining the service. Legionnaires were, in the past, forced to enlist under a pseudonym ("declared identity"). This disposition exists in order to allow people who want to start their lives over to enlist. French citizens can enlist under a declared, fictitious, foreign citizenship (generally, a francophone one, often that of Belgium or Switzerland). After one year's service, Legionnaires can regularise their situation under their true identity. After serving in the Legion for three years, a legionnaire may apply for French citizenship.[8] He must be serving under his real name, must no longer have problems with the authorities, and must have served with “honour and fidelity”. Furthermore, a soldier who becomes injured during a battle for France can apply for French citizenship under a provision known as “Français par le sang versé” ("French by spilled blood").

Still sounds like a pretty good idea

why don't you just take a boat from a marina and go on a little trip? country hop from one country to another with no extradition treaty until you make it to the maldives because that seems to be the best country

well i don't see what could go wrong with that

So you'd have to be a convicted felon in order to be turned away - check me if i'm wrong here, but you can't be convicted if you flee before being tried in a court of law...

well i don't see what could go wrong with that

Oh yeah I forgot to add - and this one is pretty important... you're not allowed to anchor in the maldives unless you're staying at a resort there. I guess you could show up abandon the boat and swim to shore, but the authorities wouldn't like it much. While they might not have an extradition agreement with the united states that doesn't mean they're a lawless country - you'd probably end up being turned away by customs if you pulled a stunt like that.

So you'd have to be a convicted felon in order to be turned away - check me if i'm wrong here, but you can't be convicted if you flee before being tried in a court of law...

Extensive background checks also include info on any arrests. Not to mention, prior military combat experience is pretty much a requirement for admission. The average joe that shows up looking to get in is turned away every time.

My plan B is to go to Bangledesh(no extradition treaty) and open a bar with bargirls. Cash only business to stay off the map and have the opportunity for fraggle to come visit me.

Or I would do the same thing in thailand and hope to stay off the radar enough that they wont extradite me.

Oh yeah I forgot to add - and this one is pretty important... you're not allowed to anchor in the maldives unless you're staying at a resort there. I guess you could show up abandon the boat and swim to shore, but the authorities wouldn't like it much. While they might not have an extradition agreement with the united states that doesn't mean they're a lawless country - you'd probably end up being turned away by customs if you pulled a stunt like that.

I've always figured when it comes to boating, aside from off the coast of Florida/Alaska-russia, they don't really give a fuck what boat they see so I figure most countries are similarly lax except in certain hot spots. I mean, I'm operating under the assumption that you stole the boat to begin with because what the fuck do you have to lose if you're going to be going to jail for 20+ years otherwise. Sure I can see it getting ridiculously shady at some jungle harbor to refuel, but when it comes to escaping from international justice, your best options are going to be dicey ones to begin with.

Yeah, that's really not true. Usually the customs officials are tougher on people coming in by boat than by plane. Not only do they usually inspect the boat for drugs / food, but they also run checks on the vessel itself to see if it's been reported stolen.

you don't talk to customs, you ditch your boat as soon as possible. do you have to talk to customs even if you just want to refuel and resupply? you are the captain (I think) afterall

Would it really be necessary to flee the country?

I'd take out as much cash as I could and head to a different province.

this isn't Canada asshole

US, Canada.. Doesnt matter

No risk of getting caught by customs... No need for a passport... No need to worry about converting currency...

You'd just need to go by a fake name, avoid banking, and find a way to make cash money to sustain yourself.

Back