Why don't more people flee the country if sentenced to prison terms?

If they get bailed out they usually have to surrender their passport, and getting a fake passport isn't as easy as the movies make it seem

They do, and they're caught, some 20 years later.

One dude was on a boat in a foreign country, lived there for years, eventually an agent came and got him.

In most of these cases, the people being caught are glad it's over. One woman came back on her own because she couldn't live with the thoughts anymore. It's like chicks who cheat, they have to tell someone.

Think about it, someone's full time job is to find you. Meanwhile, you're trying to live a normal life in another country, not leaving a paper trail, not being seen out doors that much. They eventually slip up.

Last edited:
facebook-128.png

For an American tho I imagine it wouldn't be all that hard to just pound across the border one way or the other.

Where would you go?.

any non extradition country, there are lots of them. The difficulty is getting through customs, getting your money there because your accounts will be frozen the instant they realize you jumped bail.

If they get bailed out they usually have to surrender their passport, and getting a fake passport isn't as easy as the movies make it seem

not true. my friend was arrested for drug trafficking. he posted bail and made it back home, grabbed $70k in cash and crossed the border into mexico. 2 weeks after he left for mexico he called me and said he was in buenos aires, argentina but he was coming back to the United States because he didn't want to be on the run his entire life and that he would miss his family and friends. he ended up getting 7 years. I'm not sure if the authorities knew that he fled or not because he made it back for his court date.

i talk to him regularly (every 2-3 months) but I've never ever brought that up because I don't know if they know he fled.

Last edited:
It just seems better to spend a couple of years in jail then the rest of your life in some shit hole country without being able to talk with family/friends.

Being isolated from any other culture besides their own for their entire lives, most Americans stick out like sore thumbs in foreign countries. Pretty easy for somebody to point you out.

I'm guessing most of those places would turn you over for a pallet of rice or less. Unless your not seen. Would you be planning on camping?

Last edited:
You only have to surrender the passport if you're deemed a flight risk, but trying to move thousands of dollars in cash to some crap country might prove pretty challenging. How did the guy who ran with $70k get back into the country past US customs? You have to declare anything over $5k I think - and then they'd like to know where it came from

i've been to the maldives. if i was going to flee to anywhere, it would be there. you can live there for next to nothing and it is absolutely stunning.

its pretty remote though (i suppose that would be a good thing in this particular situation)

Last edited:
You only have to surrender the passport if you're deemed a flight risk, but trying to move thousands of dollars in cash to some crap country might prove pretty challenging. How did the guy who ran with $70k get back into the country past US customs? You have to declare anything over $5k I think - and then they'd like to know where it came from

unless there are some restrictions placed on your account when you have to post bail, you'd be amazed how easy some of these countries make it to import currency. trying to convert it back is another thing entirely though

Back