Why can't rappers talk normally?

|vm| said:
they probably say the same of you.

Impossible. I'm telling them they're mangling the english language, which is a fact. "There" is not pronounced "thurr" no matter what. I do speak correctly, and any book written on the language I'm speaking will back that up.

stop comparing different cultures, different doesn't mean bad. you're not the image of perfection either.

In this case different is bad. It sends the message that you don't have to sound intelligent, you don't even have to use real words when you communicate. This isn't "accent," like a Bostonian saying "Hah-vahd" instead of "Harvard." This is an entirely different language being constructed by rappers and sold off as "cool" english.

There is a reason you don't see professional individuals use this "cultured" vocabulary. What the fuck is the world going to think of us when our diplomats say things like, "Well ya see Israel, Palestine needs that land ya have ova thurr to be ova hurr."

Neek said:
No... I look down on them because they perpetuate a stereotype that they are undereducated fools by speaking like one. Thus damaging the general reputation of their culture as being full of ignorant fools, weather that is true or not. (not true)

Give me one reason why presenting yourself as an intelligent person by speaking in an intelligent manner is detrimental.

it can be detrimental if you're a fucking retard who doesn't know shit that he's talking about. perpetuate a stereotype? most of them ARE the fucking stereotypes. how many of these rappers finished college? undereducated doesn't mean shit to me. lots of older people who had little education are still very intelligent. the people you should be concerning yourself with are the fucking wiggers in the suburbs who think they're hood. if you're from the hood/south/wherever this comes from, that's WHAT YOU ARE. what if ya'll was a popular term in rap? would it fucking blow your mind?

EdgE said:
http://members.aol.com/tommydamac/ebonics.htm

curb job = a retaliatory attack consisting of a thrust of the dental cavity of a adversarial gang member onto the cement confine barrier of a road

gat = gun
(I'm gonna) gat yo' ass = You are angering me and I may become violent if you do not cease your actions

Last edited:
PoorDoggy said:
Impossible. I'm telling them they're mangling the english language, which is a fact. "There" is not pronounced "thurr" no matter what. I do speak correctly, and any book written on the language I'm speaking will back that up.

In this case different is bad. It sends the message that you don't have to sound intelligent, you don't even have to use real words when you communicate. This isn't "accent," like a Bostonian saying "Hah-vahd" instead of "Harvard." This is an entirely different language being constructed by rappers and sold off as "cool" english.

There is a reason you don't see professional individuals use this "cultured" vocabulary. What the fuck is the world going to think of us when our diplomats say things like, "Well ya see Israel, Palestine needs that land ya have ova thurr to be ova hurr."

idea doesn't have an 'r' but people pronounce it idear. why the fuck are these morons using an 'r' at the end of the word? the dictionary under NO circumstance ever says it should be used. hahvad has no fucking r and people are skipping it, and you're telling me it's a completely different thing from saying 'thurr' instead of 'there'? thurr is legitimate pronounciation of a word. you fucking interpret it as THERE. entirely different language? it's not like you don't understand what they're saying.

the ebonics dialect has existed for a while, it's not just rap. rap is making it known. little different enunciations of words here and there are popping up.

while you're at it, go knock on surfers that use brah and shit. "yo dude i just caught this narley wave. it was so sick you had to be there brah."

why can't people be more tolerant? christ.

I think it's mostly just the shitty rappers who do this, because they can't rhyme worth a shit, so they modify words to fit their lyrics. Few good rappers consistently mutilate the english language as bad as that. Besides, anyone who gets their vocabulary from mtv rap probably isn't one who was going to go far in life to begin with. So if they want to say "tharr" instead of "there" while waiting in the unemployment line, that's fine with me.

Last edited:
because 1/2 of the words dont rhyme if you say them correctly so ppl would see how fucking retarded they are?

black people do the most idiotic shit that they think makes them look cool...
the other day i saw two black kids riding a bike(one was on the back pegs) and had their pants sagging past their asses. the guy on the back must like is nuts bouncing up on his friend's back or something... HOW IS THIS COOL?

Back