What is the point of candlelight vigils/organized "sympathy".

Just wondering what exactly it does / accomplishes. I guess it is just different strokes for different folks but for me I would be with close friends/family if I it was someone close..

What is the point behind them though? It is somewhat callous but I don't exactly understand how going could help the situation at all or anything. Seems sort of like club fundraising in Highschools so they can have pizza parties or some big trip.

It's like some club is around and thinks "how can we show support and look good", lets organize some walk for aids or candlelight vigil that will raise insignificant funds.

Note: I am not saying they are bad and I completely understand them in Vtech area but why have one in say USC?

many people find that when they are affected by something tremendously, it helps to join with others who feel the same way - they join in silence, or in conversation, they talk about the issue or maybe something else. they remember, recall, and honor. note that you don't have to be personally or closely connected to something to be affected by it - some people are more sensitive to others. the candlelight, through night, is an atmosphere and symbolism, which time has proven largely effective in perusing this - what we call - mourning.

on a personal note, i find it quite sad you don't understand something so simple, so human.

I hate the trendy events that follow disasters.. Changing your default facebook picture to the ribbon, joining all these dumb facebook groups, posting myspace bulletins saying you're going to pray.

Everyone feels the need to prove that they care. I don't like it, it's shallow.

i used to be an angsty little rebel like you. then i grew up. i found that if you constantly surround yourself with the negative, you end up being a boring, insensitive louse. you also end up making huge assumptions about people - the bane of a selfish existence - as the meat of your post proves. my advice to you is: change it up.

Last edited:
no, no

they actually do it with most films in an attempt to earn revenue

you should google it its not like anyone can out sarcasm me ive got nothing better to do sometime

My support for what, there is nothing you can do. The event is over there is no nation or terrorist organization responsible. There is no enemy, no further proceedings. The random act of terror is over. The only thing I can say is it sucks for the family but showing up at a candlelight vigil doesn't bring back their children. Yes, if I saw them I would give condolences and the event was tragic.
In the end though there is no reassurance you can give this won't happen again in a free world. Life is precarious and all over the world people die every day. Thousands are killed in genocides and still are.

What is the point behind this candlelight vigil, it will do nothing. It is futile.

Yes I understand a VTECH vigil, or blacksburg, etc. I can understand small pockets of people who know the dead grieving, but a vigil across all universities etc... what is the point. We would have one every minute if we mourned everytime 30 people died, it happens every minute across the world and in the US.

USATODAY.com - 18,000 deaths blamed on lack of insurance

350 children die every year because they do not have a helmet on while riding a bike.

It is just another "omg shootings, I don't feel safe, I am so sorry for the family, candlelight vigil time!!"

Last edited:
My support for what, there is nothing you can do. The event is over there is no nation or terrorist organization responsible. There is no enemy, no further proceedings. The random act of terror is over. The only thing I can say is it sucks for the family but showing up at a candlelight vigil doesn't bring back their children. Yes, if I saw them I would give condolences and the event was tragic.
In the end though there is no reassurance you can give this won't happen again in a free world. Life is precarious and all over the world people die every day. Thousands are killed in genocides and still are.

What is the point behind this candlelight vigil, it will do nothing. It is futile.
At this point, it appears you are either incredibly insensitive, completely sheltered, stupid, or flaming. I wouldn't be surprised if it was one of the last two, in which case please stop posting. In the other cases, assume for a second that the vigil is not the problem - it is not 'futile' (lolnerdspeaklol), but that YOU lack a genuine understanding of the circumstances at hand. Common pitiful of modern humanity - 'I don't understand this so obviously it a stupid activity only the lame masses engage in' et cetera ad nauseum.

I've said what I had to say - pretty much done here.

At this point, it appears you are either incredibly insensitive, completely sheltered, stupid, or flaming. I wouldn't be surprised if it was one of the last two, in which case please stop posting. In the other cases, assume for a second that the vigil is not the problem - it is not 'futile' (lolnerdspeaklol), but that YOU lack a genuine understanding of the circumstances at hand. Common pitiful of modern humanity - 'I don't understand this so obviously it a stupid activity only the lame masses engage in' et cetera ad nauseum.

I've said what I had to say - pretty much done here.

Humanity is a shit encrusted fecal matter that is based on survival of the fittest and who gives a fuck mentality. To think otherwise is ridiculous and hypocritical of all the facts of the current world situation.

Every year 15 million children die of hunger

Yet you say somehow these caring and compasionate people grieve over the loss of 33 dead but not 15 million children that they stand unmoving and turn a blind eye to for convenience as we all do. Give me a fucking break.

Last edited:
And to cover your ninja edit:

USATODAY.com - 18,000 deaths blamed on lack of insurance

350 children die every year because they do not have a helmet on while riding a bike.

Vigils generally respond, on THIS SCALE to events that have proportionate effects. That is not the say that there are small vigils in observance of other events across the world at any given time. What - because it's not in the news (/on the internet) it doesn't happen? Whopping logic there!

A vigil is actually a traditionally religious happening that occur on/before holidays and when people are sick/dying. They happen all the time for various reasons.

Your nonsensical understanding is producing WEAK arguments and surely at this point you'll want to STOP being difficult about it.

Humanity is a shit encrusted fecal matter that is based on survival of the fittest and who gives a fuck mentality. To think otherwise is ridiculous and hypocritical of all the facts of the current world situation.

Yet you say somehow these caring and compasionate people grieve over the loss of 33 dead but not 15 million children that they stand unmoving and turn a blind eye to for convenience as we all do. Give me a fucking break.
Hate leads to the dark side man.

Great. You've basically illustrated that you have an agenda (like some bullshit 21st century Eurocentric generic Darwinist GARBAGE) in quoting my post and not responding to it directly in any sense. Good job - we've now got you pegged on troll.

I love how it's the rage lately on TW to characterize anyone who disagrees as a "troll." They can't just be wrong; they must be trolling!

Trolling is a technical term, and we the learned weep when you faggots misuse it.

But you ladies carry on

Bleh you missed my point completely. 33 dead is nothing, a little drip in a huge flood of innocent deaths that happened today and everyday. For the simple fact it was bullets and guns and not lack of food or worldwide help that they died.

The crazy psychotic murderer is a much better story then penny pinching 1st world countries. Face it, the only reason this matters is not the deaths or dead but the sensational story surrounding it.

You're great posting then editing it with more literary vomit.

My post below basically already tackles this statement.

You continually show a complete lack of understanding/knowledge of the event of vigil, and follow that up with bullshit tirades against it.

The fact of the matter is: "but not 15 million children that they stand unmoving and turn a blind eye to for convenience as we all do" is simply blithe supposition. Welcome to the internet - please learn how to argue properly. Step one: don't just assume random crap and base an argument around it. Cite sources, preferably from , or prove at least you have a deep knowledge of a given topic.

OTHERWISE, YOU'RE A TROLL IN WHICH CASE YOU SHOULD KINDLY SHUT THE FUCK UP.

Do you get it?

The crazy psychotic murderer is a much better story then penny pinching 1st world countries. Face it, the only reason this matters is not the deaths or dead but the sensational story surrounding it.

It's also closer to home than starving children on another continent.

Just sayin'

I love how it's the rage lately on TW to characterize anyone who disagrees as a "troll." They can't just be wrong; they must be trolling!

Trolling is a technical term, and we the learned weep when you faggots misuse it.

But you ladies carry on
Um... if he fits the profile of a fucking troll... he's a troll. What the hell do you want from me? His arguments are illogical, it's been pointed out many times, he doesn't ever respond directly to these claims, but instead carries on. El fin.

Back