Unreal Engine3 sucks?

Zio

Veteran X
If it sucks so much, why are so many developrs jumping on board and licencing it for all their next games???

To name a few...

Namco Hometek Inc. Licenses Unreal Engine 3 for Frame City Killer

NCsoft Licenses Unreal Engine 3

ACONY Licenses Unreal Engine 3

Silicon Knights to Exclusively Use Unreal Engine 3

America's Army Licenses Unreal Engine 3

TimeGate Studios Licenses Unreal Engine 3

Microsoft Game Studios License Unreal Engine 3

Midway Chooses Unreal Engine 3 for Next Generation Game Development

BioWare Licenses Unreal Engine 3

I don't recal anyone (I could be wrong) saying that it sucked. If you mean why isn't the next Tribes game being developed on the U3 engine, it's because #1 - Tribes probably wont be developed by any known developer for a long time if at all and #2 - the teams creating Tribes games right now (Legends/RenWerx) don't have the dough to purchase such an engine.

BugsPray said:
I don't recal anyone (I could be wrong) saying that it sucked.

I remember members of TW not only saying the Unreal Engine3 not only sucked but much worse.

I remember threads discussing how TSE was so much better than UE3.

It's very intresting to see how many titles are being designed UT technology and how many are being based around Torque. I guess the leading developrs in the industry have no clue right?

:lol:

u235docks.jpg

Thats purdy.

Pachacutec said:
how about check this out :
http://www.artificialstudios.com/compare.php

epic bought this product (the far left column) and they're practically shutting it down. reason? ue3 sucks and they have to buy out the competition :D

So let me get this straight: UNREAL DOES NOT FEATURE DYNAMIC LIGHTING?

Wait...something doesn't add up there....oh wait, UNREAL FUCKING INTRODUCED DYNAMIC LIGHTING!

That "comparison" is a combination of misleading comparisons and outright lies. Unreal not supporting 3rd rate modeling software isn't a strong case for BS Engine being superior.

DreamcastJunkie said:
So let me get this straight: UNREAL DOES NOT FEATURE DYNAMIC LIGHTING?

That is not what it said. It says "Dynamic Day/Night Lighting & Shadowing". They are specifically referring to the scene shifting from day to night, and all the shadows and radiosity are updated realtime. I agree with you that the comparison table is setup to be biased to their product - but that is advertising 101.

Looking at the screenshots and the videos, I like the looks of it. I find the realtime lens flare and distortion a little annoying, but still it looks to be a capable engine (graphics-wise at least). Of course as we all know, there is a lot more to a quality engine than pretty graphics.

Check out the game demo video here. The gameplay doesn't look all that interesting, but the eye-candy is nice.

-WB

Zio said:
I remember members of TW not only saying the Unreal Engine3 not only sucked but much worse. . . It's very intresting to see how many titles are being designed UT technology and how many are being based around Torque. I guess the leading developrs in the industry have no clue right?

:lol:

I don't think the number of buyers is an accurate indication of how good the engine is. I mean, Britney Spears sold a bazillion records, but. . .

And the "leading developers in the industry have no clue" hypothesis seems highly plausible to me, for a lot of reasons.

That said, U3 engine looked pretty cool to me.

Superficial prejudice...at it's finest.

Keep up the good work Zio, maybe by the end of this thread you'll be working for Epic...<lol>

Nobody gets fired for licencing Unreal. The saying used to be "Nobody gets fired for buying IBM" I think.

Anyway, I'm not going to support the whole TSE > Unreal 3 thing yet, because I haven't seen any games come out of it, and I haven't talked to any fellow devs using it. Screenshots mean nothing. I want to see how it performs on a consumer system, how easy it is for developers to get what they want done in it, etc. Unreal 2 was horrible to work with in a production environment when you had to do things that were very different than what it came with, and anyone who used U2 will tell you that.

The other thing, though, is...you have listed ~8 people using U3. Do you have any idea how many hundreds of games used RenderWare? There are a lot of games that get pushed because they use the "big name(s)" in graphics engines, when in reality it's all just another stream in the buzz for the game. You will always hear a big deal about a game using Unreal, but you never hear a big deal about a game using GameBryo, when both engines are perfectly good engines. GTA used RenderWare, but for some reason there was no mass-movemnt of, "OMFG RenderWare = tehwin!1!!" yet there is about Unreal.

I personally think that BioWares decision to use Unreal is a poor one. Their engine, Aurora is tailored to their gameplay needs. The graphics on the games, I think, are pretty poor, but I can't tell what exactly the reason is. The water shader in Hoards of the Underdark sucked ass, if I remember right. The polycounts are low. However they have a very powerful framework for things they need to do to create RPGs, and I think that the effort that will go in to modifying Unreal to suit their needs will end up being more work than reworking their graphics. Graphics are, well, kind of easy actually. Unless you have a very, very poorly architected engine, graphics upgrades are very easy to do because it's all common knowledge. It's easy to figure out how to put a shader on something. It's easy to get a normalmapping shader in, once you have the shaders, and it just builds from there. The tough things in programming are things like, "How can I create a system that is easy for artists and level designers to use so they can create the environments they want." It looks like Unreal 3 could have some very sweet tools, though, and BioWare may have just decided that doing tech and games is a pain in the ass. So whatever.

The Unreal Engine works well for games not requiring a mass amount of players online in a single server as well as games that use normal physics.

For T:V, it was a very poor choice given the server base of Tribes itself. TSE could have provided the better graphics with physics that was more like Tribes2. The physics of T1 will never be reproduced simply because of the DS engine being somewhat proprietary at the time and the source code being "lost"

AA performs very well on the Unreal engine. No complaints from me and I've been playing it for over 2 years now :)

Shouldn't have been a choice for T:V though. Think the only reason it was is so they could have that blasted single player campaign....which wound up being more fun than online play.

Total said:
TSE could have provided the better graphics with physics that was more like Tribes2.

Sure, but TSE hasn't even been released yet! And T:V is how old now???

Back on topic... How does the UE3 suck again? I'm just not seeing it. :lol:

There are currently 2 Xbox games that are in the final stages of development using TSE, as well as a few unannounced commertial licences. TSE is very useable in it's current state.

Also, I think we're still wondering who the hell said U3 sucks. You started the topic, were you expecting a flame war? Or are you just a dick who likes the laughing smiley face?

Back