TW bicyclists - what are you on?

I user to ride Mt. bikes with Mike Wolfe of American pickers fame before he went full road weenie retard, then dropped off the face of the earth for a few years. -He owned a few bike shops nearby around the end of last century.

I bought his Cannondale race frame and raced it for a few years. Still have it, and it's my go to fast bike in the hills. Not as cushy as the full suspension Giant bike, or as sexy as my custom frame bike, just non stop ownage. Air fatty head shock and full Tinker Juarez dominate in the hills funk.

I also have a SR600 Cannondale from 1986, when I was a road weenie.

My goto is still a Kona Honkytonk with downtube shifters. I used it in 3 Seattle to Portland one day rides. (just over 200 miles) I did it by myself all three times too. No gay ass drafting or anything like that. I took it on Amtrak to Seattle and road it back to my house after finishing at the beer tents.

I really like steel frames. I am sure there are much more "efficient" bikes but I didn't give a fuck. It served me well in the first year. A few of us came around a corner and the crew hadn't put carpet over the Amtrak rails. Yeah. Endo city. My bike survived. It had a bent derailleur that we used a torch on at the next stop which was just a few miles from the wipeout. It was fine after that for the rest of the ride and the following 2 years. Still works perfectly.

It's like this:
iu

I put a saddle like this on it:
iu

They sell for around $1000. To me, it's a perfect steel. Old school. Fun. Solid. Dependable. Serviceable. Reynolds 520. Weighs 24 pounds. But, I wasn't worried about weight.

I was always attracted to Euro style 10 speeds.

There is a movie called Breaking Away that started it for me.
I convinced myself I had to get a cycling hat and wear it backwards.

Then that movie American Flyers in the 80s.

Here is a Masi like Breaking Away
iu

Sexy

A buddy of mine had an Orthodontist as a dad. Italian American guy. He liked Italian sports cars. Italian bicycles. Etc. Pretty much Italian eveything.

He had a Bianchi in the basement like this:
iu

One summer when I was 15, I would go to my friends house. When it was bedtime, I would sneak out and grab his dad's bike. I would ride it 20 miles to this chicks house. Spend time there and then ride back before dawn.

No lights. No helmet but the backwards cap. Through a city and a bit out into the country. Kids :lol:
I loved that bike.

Last edited:
I had a Bianchi from the 80's in the back shed for years, was one of my sister's ex boyfriends bikes I think.

It got tossed out for the rubbish collection a couple of years ago, couldn't be bothered to see if it was worth doing anything with. I'm sure someone grabbed it and fixed it up.

1988 Mongoose California Stylist back when i was a kid. I broke a schwinn predator and a peugot because I was a crazy bastard as a kid jumping shit and just being stupid. That bike was fucking pimp. Preteen SSX cruised the neighborhood with honeys on both front and back pegs flexing that thing. I had some mods done to it, rotor/gyro swap and swapped the rims out plus a super sweet number plate. Then i got a car when i was 16 and i sold it for $275 in 1996.

Back