Things we know about Obama's Energy Plan

Skibbi9

Contributor
Veteran XX
Obama: Drilling alone is not an energy plan - Yahoo! Finance

Obama hits back at Republican criticism of high gas prices | Reuters

"You can bet that since it's an election year, they're already dusting off their three-point plans for $2 gas. I'll save you the suspense: Step one is to drill, step two is to drill, and step three is to keep drilling. ... We've heard the same thing for thirty years. Well, the American people aren't stupid."

Obama insisted there are no short-term solutions to high gas prices, and that anyone suggesting otherwise was not being honest. Still, he sought to offer something to anxious voters by saying he had ordered his administration to search for every possible area to help consumers in the coming months.

He sought to take credit for rising oil and gas production, a greater mix of energy sources and decreased consumption. Ahead of a fundraising blitz in the evening, he promoted an energy strategy that the administration says will reduce dependence on foreign oil in the long term.

Republicans have seized on the issue, citing Obama's decision to reject a permit for a cross-country oil pipeline as evidence of a misguided policy. Former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum has warned of $5-a-gallon gas, while former House Speaker Newt Gingrich has said he could lower prices to $2.50 a gallon.

Obama aides worry that the rise in prices could reverse the country's economic gains and the president's improved political standing. A new Associated Press-GfK poll shows that though Obama's approval rating on the economy has climbed, 58 percent disapprove of what he's doing on gas prices.

White House officials point to increased oil production and decreased consumption as evidence that Obama's policies are working and will lead to greater energy independence in the long run. But they assert there is little Obama — or any president — can do to change the trajectory of prices now.

Despite more domestic oil and less consumption, "these prices are going up, and that tells you that there are other things beyond our control, like unrest in the Middle East or other factors like the growth of emerging countries such as China and India," White House spokesman Jay Carney said Wednesday.

1) We know that Obama has not in the past 3 years adopted an energy plan
2) We know that Obama is taking credit for increased domestic energy
3) We know that Obama is blocking the XL Pipeline which would allow for Canadian oil (and domestic oil like Bakken/MT to tap into it) into the refineries of Oklahoma/Tx
4) We know that Obama had stopped Caribbean permits for a year, and dragged their feet for another year.
5) We know of the Solyndra fiasco in Solar
6) We know he isn't working towards any nuclear (this was clear vs. McCain who wanted to break ground on new nuclear)
6) We know the administration is attempting to sanction Iran's Oil output (its 4mm BOPD, this is approx 6% of total oil production), and allows for more hostilities over Straits of Hormuz

Things we know about Energy policy:

1) T.Boone Pickens has a pickensplan which has been out for a while:
PickensPlan
This plan is about energy independence and Natural Gas

sounds like obama is starting to pick from it a bit now... and won't cite any sources.

2) What's wrong with Drill, Drill, Drill? Does he not understand that (1) most of our energy comes from fossil fuels, you have to drill for those, does he not understand that you have to mine for rare earths in order to build Solar and Wind?

3) Many sources suggest that Solar isn't financially viable until sustained $200/bbl oil

4) We know incumbent parties don't stay in power in years with high and increasing oil prices: see Carter, GHWBush, Gore, McCain

5) We know that Nat Gas works for automobiles, they've been running fleets of them for 30+ years, we also know that we're sitting on huge huge reserves of nat gas and its cheap (equivalent seems to be 1/6th the price... i'm bad at BOEPD conversions)

why don't we drill and tax a large percentage of the profits to go directly to funding more sustainable energy programs

owait thatd require reaching across the aisle my bad

G2joo.gif

The speculation is that Obama will reject the keystone pipeline until after the election, between the cost of lost dollars and votes from the environmental crowd, he's likely weighed against it.

Why don't we just invent that stuff they had in Star Trek? Seemed to work out pretty well for them. Raegan had Star Wars, Obama can have Star Trek.

Presidents should be one term only. That would stop them from campaigning for themselves half of their first term.

obama doesnt have an energy plan his plan is the same as the environmental nutcases at the epa and peta which is to drive energy prices up so high no one can afford to run cars or air conditioners

Why aren't liberals happy until everything is in smoking ruins so they can say "SEE? LOOK??? WE NEED MORE GOVERNMENT TO FIX THIS"

obama doesnt have an energy plan his plan is the same as the environmental nutcases at the epa and peta which is to drive energy prices up so high no one can afford to run cars or air conditioners

I think you're not quite understanding what that would do to the economy. There is a balance, but what we're seeing today is unsubstantiated posturing.

why don't we have nuclear cars and furnaces and shit by now?

we go to the moon then we do jack shit for the next 50 years

I just hope I die before I have to learn how to speak chinese

I think you're not quite understanding what that would do to the economy. There is a balance, but what we're seeing today is unsubstantiated posturing.

his plan is 2 make it so everyone has to catch the bus or ride a bike to work, even if you live miles away and all based on unsubstantiated global warming alarmism

this will happen sometime during his 2nd turn which is almost assured becuase of these sheeple who wont vote for ron paul

Among other things...

Back