Tell me about Galveston, TX

Put it this way i've lived in galveston for 8 years went to the beach twice... i think, Now in Leauge City, much Nicer... kinda pricy but its well worth it.

yeah, velo lives near me, i live in a little city called Spring, Tx, a little north of houston but south of the woodlands. If your looking for a place to live near houston, spring is developing very rapidly, and it is a nice place, considering it is so close to the woodlands, which is also very nice. just don't live actually NEAR the city, or inside. and to live in galveston is suicide. it is total shit, but just check out areas around houston like katy, spring, sugar lang, the woodlands, ect.

Traffic is not bad at all if you know what the avoid... aka avoid all major highways (excluding westpark) from 4:30 - 6:15 ish
Same goes for major streets

Houston has probably one of the best highway systems in the US just because of the lack of public transportation

Neighboring suburbs are awsome too, especially if you are working out there... most of them could be cities on their own.

edit: one thing that you will notice about houston is that it is VERY spread out - lots of people but in a very large area so you are never crowded. streets are wide and the vastness helps with traffic. do not move here if you dont like driving - yes it does take time to get anywhere in houston, but probably not for the reason people here are giving. i remember my relatives making a big deal about driving fourty five minutes to the airport when people do that distance all the time here.

Last edited:
RiSe226 said:
Clear Lake is actually the area we're looking around, I should have been more specific.
I spent most of my formative years in Clear Lake. The highschool is way overcrowded (7 mins between classes is barely enough time to get to your locker and to your class) so if you have kids then I'd consider a private school alternative if you were to move there. I wouldn't recommend moving to clear lake if you don't have a decent income (100K+/yr.) I only say this because the only really nice parts of Clear Lake cost a bit.

Keep in mind all my info is dated by about 7 years since I've moved.

Edit : Everyone is right, Galveston sucks.

ive been to galveston and the greatest thing that happened to me in galveston was getting shit on by a seagull.

after that i could only smell seagull shit, and it was wonderful.

galveston is a beautiful place especially since it's near the gulf

uncle lives in sugarland so we've been to galveston a few times

As a long time Houstonian, I can offer you some advice.

The Woodlands (north side) is a great place, so is parts of Katy (west side), but they are both pretty far out of the city.

Don't have as much experience with the south side, but I have heard good things about Clear Lake.

Galveston is not somewhere you want to live, a pretty low class general population, and it's not a great spot to visit either. The beach is dirty and water is muddy, but there are more remote parts of the island that can be nice to sit at a beach house, or condo and just enjoy the breeze off the ocean. I say enjoy the breeze of the ocean, because Houston, is a very humid place, and if you can't take humidity, you'll never survive here.

Traffic can be horrible, and if you work downtown and live in a suburb you can expect a long commute.

There are some very nice parts of Houston, contrary to what some people would lead you to believe, unfortunately they are very expensive, so if you want to live in a nice area, either make alot, or live in the suburbs

I think Houston is a decent place to live, but I can also think of places that I'd rather be.

Good luck with your decision

I've lived for extended periods in Houston, Los Angeles, Chicago, and San Francisco.

Houston is the most underrated city in America. My house payment in the Heights (cool eclectic neighborhood, being rebuilt by young up and comers) is less than my SHARE of the rent for a 3 bedroom, 1 bath in the MISSION district of San Francisco (shitty neighborhood - heroin central amongst other things).

That said, I strongly recommend that you don't live in Galveston unless you have to. There are many nice affordable areas to live in Houston.

Houston has a lot to offer. The people are friendly and genuine, the cost of living is low, and high energy prices mean that there will be considerable opportunity for the forseeable future. If you like boating/golf/camping/fishing/hunting/outdoorsy stuff - there is plenty of it around. The restaurants are good, the shopping is ok to good, the clubs are average to good, and the women are hotties.

Houston is bi-modal. While we may be the most obese city in America, that is because there is some serious beef at one of the spectrum. At the other end, there are lots of fit, trim hotties that take good care of themselves (unlike Chicago where *everybody* carries 15 extra and San Francisco where they're all hippy, granola chicks).

If you want the beach, go to Surfside on weekends. It is the only place close to Houston that gets 1/4way reasonable surf and buy a BIG board - 10 ft. plus.

Sure its hot in the summer but the winters are NICE. You can often go outside in short sleeves and shorts. The summers aren't hard to manage given that Houstonians are addicted to AC.

If you want to live inside the loop, be close to young people/fun things while also having good property value upside, and not spend a huge amount of $$$, live in the speculative edge of the Heights or the outer reaches of Midtown.

The core part of Midtown was a bargain five/six years ago, but its fully priced now. The core part of the Heights got bid up eons ago.

Flatscan made some good comments.
For reference, if you are looking to live in an inner city area, like midtown or the heights as he's mentioned, and commute to Galveston for work you're probably looking at an hour one way.
From Clear Lake, more like 30 minutes.

Someone bad mouthed austin. We have shitty traffic cuz our city planners are fuck faces, BUUUTTT The city fucking rocks. Also, Port A > Galveston, in terms of everything...and it still sucks.

Austin Texas and Austin Walden are not only great places to visit, but great places to raise children, and work for the rest of your lives. Are you an Actor, or perhaps maybe a musician, or just Texan, whatever you are, Austin Texas and Austin Walden will welcome you with both arms wide open exposing the dirty hippy underarms and smells.

my family has a house in galveston and its pretty nice chillin by the pool on a breezy day...and I have lived in a shitload of places so i wont even list them, but houston is one of the better one's...if youre young at all there is a ton to do. I live in the middle of town pretty much and there are tons of eccentric quirky things to do and see. plus the food is rockin.

Yankee said:
Galveston is Indian for "shithole"

I spent a week there once and after all the lovely smells and scenery I tried to drink myself to death...unfortunately there isn't enough alcohol on the planet to make Galveston "enjoyable" in any sense of the word.

Back