[T:V] Post pics of the maps you are working on...

My newest map, Devil's Backbone features very large mountaintops connected by a thin "backbone", the sheer size of the map will make you feel very insignifigant. very much still a WIP

BackBone.jpg

Last edited:
please for the love of god, everyone, when making up maps, DONT JUST THROW MAPS DOWN "onto paper" and start making them. consider the play aspect of them, whether they'll be good pub/comp maps. take some time making them... make them pretty, make them playable, make them unique. i've seen some good ideas so far, but alot of what i would call non-comp friendly maps. the community is gonna need competition maps soon, not a whole slew of non-comp maps.

Geiss said:
please for the love of god, everyone, when making up maps, DONT JUST THROW MAPS DOWN "onto paper" and start making them.

and who are you to judge if a map is non comp friendly? all maps released are comp friendly, they are for the majority, all fair. Some might be defferent than others but if you have the same equipment on each end, and something to balance out the bases, then it's a fair fight. People piss and moan because they want more of one thing or the other. The people who play this game need to be able to overcome any possible advantage in the game. Big map, small map, floating bases, underwater bases. Its different terrain...so what. As far as I can tell I'd play anymof the maps released in a competition if I had time to review them ahead of time and plan strategies. The worst stretegy is turreting, a turret is no match for an active defense, defenders with jetpacks. As long as no map has a serious exploit, then it IS comp friendly.

as far as Devil's Back Bone goes, its way early WIP and yes it will be comp friendly, as long as you dont play drunk.

let people make what they want, if you dont wanna play it, dont download it.

Ok, basically this is after 1 day of work, and I expect to put several weeks into it before beta release-

coaster2.jpg

Still very prealpha, but it'll look like gold when it's done.

SmOkkin' Joe said:
all maps released are comp friendly, they are for the majority, all fair. Some might be defferent than others but if you have the same equipment on each end, and something to balance out the bases, then it's a fair fight. People piss and moan because they want more of one thing or the other. The people who play this game need to be able to overcome any possible advantage in the game. Big map, small map, floating bases, underwater bases. Its different terrain...so what. As far as I can tell I'd play anymof the maps released in a competition if I had time to review them ahead of time and plan strategies. The worst stretegy is turreting, a turret is no match for an active defense, defenders with jetpacks. As long as no map has a serious exploit, then it IS comp friendly.

first off, terrain and same bases arent balance. that's a really really bad assumption to make. i agree that adaptability is the key to this game, dont get me wrong. but if you make a map that's just a row of terrain thrown down with some slopped together bases, that's not gonna be fun to play on IMO (course, this is without seeing it). mino was unique in its play style in t2, so im not one for saying i'm afraid of a challenge. but, again, if you're basing your assumptions of playability on the fact that your bases are the same, your maps wont go that far. there's alot of things to think about if you make up the maps, like multiple routes for the different offensive positions, speed of the map, how you imagine the flag-play will go (if this is CTF), how you imagine/want the raping to go... there's alot to consider when making your map to make it fit into the community's idea of competition style maps. yea, its ok if you're making one for fun... how many maps were released for T2 verse how many were used in comp? but overall if you want to have a good map, its gotta have more than just a big hill and equal bases dude.

Geiss said:
there's alot of things to think about if you make up the maps, like multiple routes for the different offensive positions, speed of the map, how you imagine the flag-play will go (if this is CTF), how you imagine/want the raping to go...

And If you think that I think of none of the above you are deeply mistaken.
Dropzone wasted is the only map with identical bases that I've made so far, so I don't know why you'd assume that. Again, it has it's multiple routes, etc... The gap is very playable IF people decide to play it and not just ski around. The gap features two very different setup bases and generators, yet both are balanced. Frostbite is the most challenging map for people probably because it's verticallity, but if you take your time and get over that fact and explore the area you'll find that the setup among the bases is very balanced. It's not a base where you can just setup Def turrets and just walk away. The are multiple routes for the imperials and one for the phoenix, but it sounds like you haven't played the maps and only check out the screen shots, so I dont even know why you are posting. As far as my one liner and screenshot of the map above, that is so pre-alpha it shoud be "P" , no re-aplha should be included. It's the terrain only, and yes there will be multiple possible routes, thus i feature the staright and fast but precarious route over the mountain tops where a disc explosion may knock you down or the rout from either side of the mounatin range that will be a safer journey but a rough climb up to the base.

people complain there is no strategy in maps, then they complain they don't like holding territories. well, that is stategy, it's something added to the map in TheGap and Frostbite to make it more than cap 'n go. There's an intense advantage in the new release of both maps for the person who takes the territory.

-SJ

Well, with MP-Dunes more or less done (unless there are any earth-shattering fixes that need to be done I'll soon release it as a 1.0 final) and with a little bit of free time on my hands I'm working on a second map.

Currently called Acheron, it's using a satellite photo for a heightmap, some Titan maps for macrotextures, etc. The end result is a very large map with some insanely high hills and deep craters.

The idea for this map will be to have some more T2 style bases. While most of the people here hate that sort of thing, there's a lot of people who want that type of gameplay.

acheron_scrn1.png

Nice, same skybox as the main menu!

I've been looking for a wallpaper of that but can't find it... I want a copy without the clouds covering it up, argh.

Back