SRT-4 to a Supra? -- car geeks

naptown said:
The I-6 they put in those cars are some of the most potent engines known for modifying.

uhmm..
LT1, LT4, LS1, LS2, LS6, LS7... any of that ring a bell?

And I'm not trying to rag on supras, I'd drive one in a heart beat. I'm totally in love with my friend's supra,
http://www.smacknuts.com/upload/IMG_0018.JPG http://www.smacknuts.com/upload/IMG_0021.JPG
I just don't really think it's all that luxurious on the inside. I'll also say that my friend got fucked over bad buying the above said car. Previous owner didn't take the best mechanical care of it, and as a result, my friend hasn't driven that car in about 2 years. He also got fucked over pretty bad on his single turbo set up (bad oil line or something) and that has set him back as well. Considering he spent around 10K for the set up, he's really not happy with it, and has been driving an S2000 while he waits to get the car fixed.

And I'll point out that the price of that Supra doesn't sound right. Especially considering the year and mileage on it. Be weary, and look around for others in the same ball park.

Also, those who think it's cheap to mod an MKIV Supra, hook me up with some of that pot you're smoking. I'd sure as fuck love some. It's never the price of the parts, it's normally the price of the labor. And the tuning that goes along with it.

E46 M3 with warranty > questionable MKIV Supra. I'd also consider a used C5 Corvette, or another MKIV that doesn't seem questionable.

EDIT: I'd also look for a WS6 Firehawk.

Last edited:
WorstAim said:
My dad owned a 2002 M3 for 2 years, but he sold it because he didn't like it that much. They're nice to look at, but I never liked driving it that much. It's too "soft". The gas pedal never gave you any feedback like other cars do, it didn't handle all that well, every now and then the car would violently lurch and stop and lurch and stop due to "Sport Mode". On top of all that, the clutch was hair trigger and was not fun at all. He got a custom painted ferrari yellow porsche instead, and it's much much nicer then the bmw ever was. Get the supra though.

Then you and your dad must be the two worst drivers in history. For you to say that the car did not handle that well speaks volumes of your stupidity and ignorance.

KGB_ate_myBread said:
uhmm..
LT1, LT4, LS1, LS2, LS6, LS7... any of that ring a bell?

Compare prices to the modification of those engines. We own a 2005 LS2 C6, I'm pretty sure we've looked into all prices to have it supercharged or turbo'd. It's just not as cheap as a Supra. However, we did have a supercharged C5, and the kit alone was around 12k.

And I'm not trying to rag on supras, I'd drive one in a heart beat. I'm totally in love with my friend's supra,
http://www.smacknuts.com/upload/IMG_0018.JPG http://www.smacknuts.com/upload/IMG_0021.JPG
I just don't really think it's all that luxurious on the inside. I'll also say that my friend got fucked over bad buying the above said car. Previous owner didn't take the best mechanical care of it, and as a result, my friend hasn't driven that car in about 2 years. He also got fucked over pretty bad on his single turbo set up (bad oil line or something) and that has set him back as well. Considering he spent around 10K for the set up, he's really not happy with it, and has been driving an S2000 while he waits to get the car fixed.

Sounds like he spent 10k at the wrong place.

And I'll point out that the price of that Supra doesn't sound right. Especially considering the year and mileage on it. Be weary, and look around for others in the same ball park.

It's that price because that's what he can get for it. It's not about the car itself but the supply and the demand.

Also, you said earlier that the MKIV Supra was discontinued due to not selling well. If you read car and driver for 93-95, the Supra takes the cake in sales. However, the problem was that they didn't produce that many Supras.

Also, those who think it's cheap to mod an MKIV Supra, hook me up with some of that pot you're smoking. I'd sure as fuck love some. It's never the price of the parts, it's normally the price of the labor. And the tuning that goes along with it.
For around 1200$ you can have more horsepower than 98% of the cars on the road. It's called BPU or Basic Performance Upgrade. I haven't checked on the price for a long time so it's probably considerably cheaper now. The thing about Supras that makes them so easily modifiable is the fact that the I-6 powerplant that Lexus/Toyota produced can handle so much power on stock internals. The clutch will probably start slipping but the manual transmission in those are good for 800rwhp if not more. With the BPU upgrade you can do all the labor yourself because they are just bolt on modification and pulling a fuse.

E46 M3 with warranty > questionable MKIV Supra. I'd also consider a used C5 Corvette, or another MKIV that doesn't seem questionable.

It's all about rarity. I see more Lambo's and Modena's around here than Supra's. I only know of about 4 in Indianapolis altogether. The Toyota Supra only becomes questionable after modifications, however; if you find a bone stock one..... well, bone stock Supra > any car in it's price range.

the only people i ever see driving srt-4's are beaners with their scrub friends sitting in the back, looking to race anything on the freeway with four wheels

ktm said:
Then you and your dad must be the two worst drivers in history. For you to say that the car did not handle that well speaks volumes of your stupidity and ignorance.

Excuse me for having an opinion you skidmark. If you don't own one, then you need to shut the fuck up and stop posting because you have no experience with the car. Different people have different opinions about how cars handle. I didn't like it, neither did he. It didn't handle as nicely as the porsche. The fact that you don't respect other people's opinions and believe that what you think is exactly right speaks volumes of your stupidity and ignorance big guy.

Last edited:
WorstAim said:
Excuse me for having an opinion you skidmark. If you don't own one, then you need to shut the fuck up and stop posting because you have no experience with the car. Different people have different opinions about how cars handle. I didn't like it, neither did he. It didn't handle as nicely as the porsche. The fact that you don't respect other people's opinions and believe that what you think is exactly right speaks volumes of your stupidity and ignorance big guy.

Considering how every other driver in the world considers it an exceptionally well handling machine makes your shit pointless, just like your existence. It still does not detract from the fact that you suck at driving and your opinion is rooted in ignorance and stupidty.

I owned a 2002 325Ci and it handled like a fucking dream. I currently own a 2002 S4 which, now that it has an aftermarket suspension, handles incredibly well.

ktm said:
Considering how every other driver in the world considers it an exceptionally well handling machine makes your shit pointless, just like your existence. It still does not detract from the fact that you suck at driving and your opinion is rooted in ignorance and stupidty.

I owned a 2002 325Ci and it handled like a fucking dream. I currently own a 2002 S4 which, now that it has an aftermarket suspension, handles incredibly well.

My opinion is rooted in experience with the actual car. Yours is not. So you don't own an M3, nor have you ever owned one? That's what I thought. Don't try to lecture me on something you can't speak from experience with. If you think that a car that lurches violently when you have sport mode on is a car that handles well, then you are sadly mistaken. Oh and FYI 325Ci != M3. And no, not every other driver in the world considers it an exceptionally well handling machine.

hell yeah i'd switch cars in a sec... so much power potential from supra platform, car still looks sexy and turns as many heads as when it came out whatd be 12+ years ago in 93.... basic mods to TT will get you far as mentioned before and yeah as far as luxury wise anythings better than your plastic econobox 'fast' neon... i love the exterior design of the supra and as far as the interior love it as well feels like a cockpit, can get it with leather dunno what else really... only thing i'd be weary about someone selling a 98 TT supra w/ 49k miles for 24k lotta ppl list scams (esp for supra) etc. and yeah see the car in person before sending over a deposit

you could get a used is300... put in TT internals or complete swap w/ getrag and complete stuff but probly gonna end up spending more overall as going FI on is300 is very $$$ and lil more complicated

i'd say deffly switch cars but be weary on what your buying

WorstAim said:

Did you expect something different to happen?

Comparing a fucking Porsche to a BMW is apples to oranges. Not only that, but the way you said BMWs don't handle that well. In that case, you obviously can't drive. The BMW is a car great for handing, and I'd expect anyone who's owned one to know that; even idiots such as you and your father.

If by Porsche you mean Boxter, well... that isn't a Porsche. I hope he atleast bought a Carrera.

Why is everyone telling him to switch to the IS300?

The Supra is by far a prettier car. If you're talking about luxury then that might be fine for interior options. Although, I'd rather not drive a car that's often mistaken for a Honda Civic with a Lexus tattoo on the back.

naptown said:
Did you expect something different to happen?

Comparing a fucking Porsche to a BMW is apples to oranges. Not only that, but the way you said BMWs don't handle that well. In that case, you obviously can't drive. The BMW is a car great for handing, and I'd expect anyone who's owned one to know that; even idiots such as you and your father.

If by Porsche you mean Boxter, well... that isn't a Porsche. I hope he atleast bought a Carrera.

By porsche I mean 911. We both can drive very well thanks. Just because our opinion is different then yours doesn't make it wrong. I DID NOT LIKE HOW IT HANDLED. The porsche handles better. If you don't like that, then suck on it, I don't give a shit what you think. I offered my opinion, you offered yours. My opinion is stronger just because I owned one for 2 years. If you didn't own one your opinion is based off of what others say, not what you have experienced, and thus your opinion is worth shit because your opinion can be found in what road and track or car and driver says.

edit: Don't get an IS300. They are horrible with gas, and look ugly.

Hmm...

You're saying a car that is known for it's handling abilities cannot handle.

The Porsche should handle better, it's only say... anywhere from 20-50k more expensive depending on what 911 your daddy owns. My opinion is based off test driving the vehicle compared with Porsches, Vettes, Supras, and any other top end car. Hell, I've ridden in a 355 and 360 Modena, and even a Diablo. The M3 is not the best car on the market, but it is a damn nice sports car and handles exceptionally well.

I can say this though, a car handles exactly how the owners drive it. If you're driving a M3, and you say it can't handle, it obviously has a defect or the owner doesn't know how to drive. Period.

PJ said:
Wait, you want out of the rice crowd, by buying a Supra?
You're a dumb shit.

I'd definitely get the Supra if I were you (I'd personally get an RX-7 FD3S, but that's what I want, and not a Supra).
Ugh, why does Project90210 have to like FD's too :(

naptown said:
Hmm...

You're saying a car that is known for it's handling abilities cannot handle.

The Porsche should handle better, it's only say... anywhere from 20-50k more expensive depending on what 911 your daddy owns. My opinion is based off test driving the vehicle compared with Porsches, Vettes, Supras, and any other top end car. Hell, I've ridden in a 355 and 360 Modena, and even a Diablo. The M3 is not the best car on the market, but it is a damn nice sports car and handles exceptionally well.

I can say this though, a car handles exactly how the owners drive it. If you're driving a M3, and you say it can't handle, it obviously has a defect or the owner doesn't know how to drive. Period.

The porsche does handle better. I just think that for the price, the M should have handled better then it did. Maybe it was defective. Like I said, it did lurch back and forth when it was in sport mode a lot. By lurch I mean it jolted forward and backwards on it's on even if you took your foot off the gas. It felt like somone was flooring it, then hitting the brakes, then flooring it again, and then hitting the brakes again, except really really quickly. Sounds like you've ridden (sp?) in a lot of nice cars. I've ridden in a few nice ones too. My favorites were the Ferrari F-40 and the McLaren ;)

WorstAim said:
I don't know why, but I love the metallic orange color on cars like supra's, lamborghini's, and mclarens.
You don't use the word supra in a sentence with those other words.

Back