[Speaking of robots] Tesla self-driving car update next month

Hazee Daze

Veteran XV
Since y'all are interweb geniuses, I'm sure you've seen this news by now:

Takeaways From Tesla Motors, Inc.'s Software Announcement This Week (TSLA)

Anyway, they released some fancy pants updates (v6.2 or something), but then tossed in the a-bomb--self driving next month.

I suspect other automobile companies must be kind of shitting their pants right about now.

Also--if you drive for a living--you may want to start planning on being out of a job in five years or less.

I cannot wait for all the idiots to get in these things and have it automatically move to the right lane.

He didn't say next month. He said later this year (which means mid-2016 in the real world). Mr Musk is good at a lot of things, but meeting deadlines is not one of them.

Looking forward to getting that update though.

"Most cars don't improve over time. By contrast, Model S gets faster, smarter, and better as time passes. With Tesla's regular over-the-air software updates, Model S actually improves while you sleep. "

think about video driver updates and blue screens of death.

most people cant enjoy driving because they suck at it
please automate so 40k people dont die every year, and hundreds of millions aren't spent at shady shops for bs work cuz plastic bumpers suck

goshin, i really have no logical reason to think this, but for some reason, insee you as one of the fucktards who is constantly fucking with yer phone while driving, which is perfectly safe for you, cuz yer such a good murderer of motorcyclists (ooops i mean good driver)

Tesla Motors: Removing all enjoyment from driving

actually it's a lot more limited and a lot more awesome.

imagine driving to a restaurant, getting out in the front, and telling the car to go park itself.

Manual driving is not going away.

I welcome self driving cars. In the Bay Area it isn't uncommon to have a 1hr+ commute, so being able to work for that hour, while my car drives me to work, would be well worth the money.

A bunch of my friends were having dinner a couple of months back. We were having normal table talk, and I mentioned seeing Google self-driving cars all the time in Mountain View.

The table got really quiet for a few seconds, their reaction was either disbelief or surprise. I couldn't figure which.

These cars are here now, and doing pretty well by all accounts. The current law states that you need a driver at the wheel to "take over" just in case but seems to me any big shipping company that uses human drivers is going to be salivating to get rid of unionized drivers. I've heard the next Google model is not going to have a steering wheel.

i like the model s, but tesla marketing is making a stretch calling it a "self driving car update", going slightly above current (and few year old tech) dynamic cruise control and lane survey systems on freeways

the google self driving cars drive around the bay area on and off freeways. around town, etc. seems they are ironing out the bigger picture and have been for a few years

guess we wont know till we see it in a few months

Last edited:
A bunch of my friends were having dinner a couple of months back. We were having normal table talk, and I mentioned seeing Google self-driving cars all the time in Mountain View.

The table got really quiet for a few seconds, their reaction was either disbelief or surprise. I couldn't figure which.

These cars are here now, and doing pretty well by all accounts. The current law states that you need a driver at the wheel to "take over" just in case but seems to me any big shipping company that uses human drivers is going to be salivating to get rid of unionized drivers. I've heard the next Google model is not going to have a steering wheel.

It'll be an interesting fight to see how it plays out, my guess is freight will still be manned in some form. We've already passed the demarcation point where technology balances out jobs, at some point technology becomes a negative.

Its great that a company can run more efficiently with 80% less staff, but its also going to sway the overall economic picture when only half the country has jobs.

i like the model s, but tesla marketing is making a stretch calling it a "self driving car update", going slightly above current (and few year old tech) dynamic cruise control and lane survey systems on freeways

the google self driving cars drive around the bay area on and off freeways. around town, etc. seems they are ironing out the bigger picture and have been for a few years

guess we wont know till we see it in a few months

I dont think they are behind at all. Yeah it's nice seeing all these Google prototypes around, but the Model S has an actual install base. As far as bringing something to market, the Tesla is clearly in the lead.

It'll be an interesting fight to see how it plays out, my guess is freight will still be manned in some form. We've already passed the demarcation point where technology balances out jobs, at some point technology becomes a negative.

Its great that a company can run more efficiently with 80% less staff, but its also going to sway the overall economic picture when only half the country has jobs.

This is so stupid.

When has anyone ever been better off withholding technology in the long term? People have been saying what you are saying since forever and they have always been wrong.

Back