So what is it like in Vancouver?

lots of hawt asians.. There are more Wong, than Smiths in Vancouver.. 1 in 3 people is asians. Hence why all the white peeps are working in McDonald..

I love it in Vancouver. I can't really think of anywhere else in Canada I would want to live.

The East side isn't that bad. Well, yes, areas are infested with junkies (show me a western, metropolis that doesn't have them though), but unless you're really stupid and go into crack central, or provoke someone, you're fine. For my photography I wander all around the city. Generally in the seedier parts, mainly through back alleyways. I've never had a problem yet. I do avoid certain areas, but that's just common sense.

I live in Kitsilano, a block off of West 4th. Awesome area. Close enough to downtown if that's your thing, but also quiet enough to be able to chill. In fact, with being one block off of 4th, I hear pretty much well nothing. I used to live right downtown and it sucked. Sure, you're right near everything (although everything I need is in Kits anyways), but during the summer I wanted to kill people. both places I lived in happened to be right on main roads. So, a while after the bars let out, you could pretty much well be guaranteed to be woken up by drunken idiots on their way down to the beach.

Weather-wise, I love it here. Not scorching in the summer and not totally freezing in the winter. Typically we get a fair bit of rain, but that seems to be changing somewhat. Other than the last few days, it's been rather dry. Hell, today, I could have easily been out in my shorts and a hoodie.

i live in vancouver
city is wonderful, full of good people and very clean.

hurting for nightlife. depends on what you're after though.

Thanks for all the info.. how busy is it there?? Just wondering about commute times, but after LA.. anything would seem wonderful.

Also wondering how expensive it is there.

When I visited vancouver, I checked out a jazz festival in the gaslamp or whatever area. I parked a couple blocks away. In the 2 blocks, I walked over 1 hypodermic needle, passed 3 cracked out hookers, a group of 2 strung out druggies eating moldy bread off of a piece of cardboard, and one guy that projectile vomited between swigs from his bottle of booze.

I stayed in a quaint victorian bed n breakfast place in a very pretty area though.

I had a similar experience in Victoria, except there was also a crazed bum digging through the trash. Who exploded at one of my freinds when he noticed her looking at him. He just started yelling gibrish and chasing her.

I stayed in a decent hotel that happened to have a liquor store next to it. When I was walking back to the hotel I noticed a pair of jiggling legs on the ground behind the liquor store. I went to check it out and peeked around the corner to see a crack pipe on the ground and a vomiting convulsing bum to go with it. I went in and told the liquor store folks and went to my room. I was pretty amazed 5 mins later when 3 ambulances showed up for the one crackhead.

I had a similar experience in Victoria, except there was also a crazed bum digging through the trash. Who exploded at one of my freinds when he noticed her looking at him. He just started yelling gibrish and chasing her.

I stayed in a decent hotel that happened to have a liquor store next to it. When I was walking back to the hotel I noticed a pair of jiggling legs on the ground behind the liquor store. I went to check it out and peeked around the corner to see a crack pipe on the ground and a vomiting convulsing bum to go with it. I went in and told the liquor store folks and went to my room. I was pretty amazed 5 mins later when 3 ambulances showed up for the one crackhead.

crackheads are Vancouver and Victoria's most cherished natural resources

Thanks for all the info.. how busy is it there?? Just wondering about commute times, but after LA.. anything would seem wonderful.

Also wondering how expensive it is there.

Commute times will be under an hour at most unless you decide to live in Surrey, Langley, Port Coquitlam or Maple Ridge. Some of the people I work with prefer to get to work by bicycle regardless of the time of year. Can't say I know what rents are like, but for West 4th I'd guess a good place would be hard to find for under $800 CDN,

Right now, it's pretty darn wet but we did have a very nice summer.

crackheads are Vancouver and Victoria's most cherished natural resources

They are the special ingredient that puts the extra "zing" in Soylent Green

I enjoyed Vancouver during roughly 30 visits, each time a one day layover. There were some areas that simply had no appeal to me, but I could always find something interesting to do.

I seldom got to stay late into the night, so I didn't encounter a lot of sleaze, but there was definately a wino-junko subculture here and there. In general however it felt more sterile than American cities of the same size. In a good way though, not "Disneyland" sterile.

Pretty nice cultural diversity, good parks, good dining (especially if you like Asian), a noteable downtown art museum, and so on.

On a side note, I seem to recall there are a couple of up and coming indie game developers there. One is producing the next generation "Turok" title for someone iirc.

Commute times will be under an hour at most unless you decide to live in Surrey, Langley, Port Coquitlam or Maple Ridge. Some of the people I work with prefer to get to work by bicycle regardless of the time of year. Can't say I know what rents are like, but for West 4th I'd guess a good place would be hard to find for under $800 CDN,

Two bedroom places are going for at least $1200-1500 in Kits right now. With most starting closer to $1500.

Personally, I lucked out big time. Fairly nice two bedroom basement suite with pretty awesome landlords upstairs and the rent is $990. Plus it started at $950 six years ago so only having a $40 increase over six years is pretty rocking too.

Not really, it's still illegal although a blind eye is turned in certain areas.

Actually, a blind eye is turned pretty much well everywhere. As long as you're not flaunting it, the cops don't really care. I think they've finally come to their senses and are focusing on more prevalent matters like meth and heroin. Plus, in the summer, if they were to try to arrest everyone they found smoking pot, there would be no time to do anything else. It would be like putting a fat kid in a candy store and telling him to eat whatever he wanted. He'd practically get whiplash trying to figure out which to grab first.

I remember that it was the judges were the ones that got the ball rolling with pot, telling the cops not to bug them with small posession charges as there were better uses of the court's time.

I'm near Broadway Station, 'n my rent just got upped to $760+utils but the place is not...err...pristine. Gotta move sometime in the next year or 2 to somewhere on the Westcoast Express as I'm really not using the amenities in the city anymore (other than working downtown).

Back