[So]The Airplane is going to take off...

No way it is going to fly. I just asked my brother who has his pilot's liscense and got the following response.

No, it could not take off and yes you are correct. An airplane is able to take off because of the pressure differential that exists between the top and bottom of the wing. Simply put, as speed increases pressure decreases. The air on the bottom half of the wing has a shorter distance to travel than the air on the top of the wing (since all wings have an airfoil shape to them). The lower pressure on the bottom of the wing wants to rise above the higher pressure on the top of the wing (i.e. lift). Since the plain would be on a treadmill only the wheels would be moving and not the actual aircraft. You could have a plane on a treadmill going 1000 mph and it would still never take off since it is the air moving around the wings that makes it fly, not the speed of the aircraft. That being said, the speed of a plane at takeoff does matter as it is generally a good measure, but not a defining measurement, of when a plane has sufficient lift to sustain flight.

Do you feel the wind in your face when you run on a treadmill the same as when you run on the street?

No way it is going to fly. I just asked my brother who has his pilot's liscense and got the following response.

No, it could not take off and yes you are correct. An airplane is able to take off because of the pressure differential that exists between the top and bottom of the wing. Simply put, as speed increases pressure decreases. The air on the bottom half of the wing has a shorter distance to travel than the air on the top of the wing (since all wings have an airfoil shape to them). The lower pressure on the bottom of the wing wants to rise above the higher pressure on the top of the wing (i.e. lift). Since the plain would be on a treadmill only the wheels would be moving and not the actual aircraft. You could have a plane on a treadmill going 1000 mph and it would still never take off since it is the air moving around the wings that makes it fly, not the speed of the aircraft. That being said, the speed of a plane at takeoff does matter as it is generally a good measure, but not a defining measurement, of when a plane has sufficient lift to sustain flight.

Do you feel the wind in your face when you run on a treadmill the same as when you run on the street?

I guess a "pilot's liscense" makes you an expert on talking bullshit pretty much about anything

People still won't believe the plane will fly after the Mythbusters get theirs to work...

It is just a stupid trick to get people to make false assumptions. A TREADMILL CANNOT HOLD A POWERED AIRPLANE IN PLACE. If you get into lift and wind over the wings, you are technically correct, but nobody is arguing the basics of flight.

lmao

the people arguing each side of this argument are not arguing with the same conditions for the problem, so each one of these threads are stupid, just like most of you

Holy shit :rofl:

oh jesus.

let me know when/where you're brother is flying so i can stay the fuck away from there

#1 Ok. Imagine an RC on a treadmill. Without doing anything to the RC you turn on the treadmill. It goes flying off because of the gravity forcing it down and causing friction with the treadmill.

#2 Reset. Now add foward thrust to the RC and then turn on the treadmill.

Once the forward thrust for the RC outdoes the force of the treadmill, which is only because gravity is forcing it down onto the treadmill, it will take off if the treadmill is long enough for it to create enough lift.

LOLAMIRITE?

LOL at the pilot response up above. He must think the wheels are not free spinning or something.

An RC plane only needs a few feet to take off. The dude will probably gun it, plane will bounce up off the ground, and take off.

I agree, some of the Mythbuster experiments are completely off the wall, and they don't care, makes it so they can do the same myth over and keep the show going.

Back