So, I was thinking of starting my own business...

Well I wouldnt say I have done extensive market analysis on hookah bars, but I have worked and managed one so I at least know the target market and the average sales of a decent hookah bar.

That's not what I asked numbnuts.
Yes, I know I ninja edited, but you still didn't even answer the quote

So what are the tobacco laws there? Can you even smoke inside? or would you provide herbal crap? Just curious...DAMN those tobacco company's! Trapping another generation of smokers!!

What do you mean by bar.. I've been to a club that had a hookah lounge, but they make their money at the door and drinks like most clubs. What else are you going to have there?

You need to have something like food, drinks, entertainment, etc as well I think. Otherwise you'll get a lot of people coming in one time to check it out and then never coming back because it's boring.

Hookah bar as in you come in, smoke some hookah, drink some coffee, and maybe purchase some tobacco smoking devices.

you are getting opinions...if its just a place to smoke, it will suck, thats why people buy fucking hookahs. Turn it into a restaurant that you can drink at, not necessarily a bar. just a sit down place where you have some beers on tap and you get get a hookah after your meal...that will bank in a college town

I was thinking more of a store like atmosphere where I sell hookahs, cigs, and other various tobacco items while having a lounge type feel. What do you guys think of that?

I was thinking more of a store like atmosphere where I sell hookahs, cigs, and other various tobacco items while having a lounge type feel. What do you guys think of that?

Do you know enough about dozens of cigars and cloves and cigarettes and different types of hookahs and coals and tobaccos?

Are you trying to open up a head shop?

I'm a bit cautious because I had a business of my own that failed, and it took a LONG time to recover from it. Just don't go into it half-assed unless you set aside a certain amount of money that you won't mind losing, and are strong enough to not spend a penny more. I kept thinking that my business was just a single turn away from making a profit and borrowed more to get over that hump. You can expect to spend twice as much as you originally planned to get it running.

Also, that's not really my scene so maybe I'm far off, but I can't see anyone wanting to regularly visit a place to drink coffee and smoke tobacco. Even if it is in a hookah, it's still tobacco.

Cigars are a pretty complicated item in my opinion and I dont know enough about them. I know everything there is to know about hookah related items and enough about cigarettes to sell them. I know enough about head shop related items as well.

But thats besides the point, if you think it had more of a store/lounge feel, do you think it would be more successful then a venue/bar like feel?

I think a restuarant is infinitely more marketable than a store or venue...you have a much wider customer base in terms of demographics. Plus, if people aren't into the whole hookah thing, you can still make money on them eating your food.

why don't you finish school, then try your idea, when you fail, and most do thats just fact, you can fall back on you're degree

Last edited:
Hookah bars always seemed like an odd business to me. In this day and age when everyone is trying to quit smoking, truth ads on the tv everyday, it just seems that so many people are automatically against your business before you even open the doors. Old people wont get the part about flavored tobacco, they are going to see smoking, and what appears to them to be weed smoking. No matter what crowd comes through the door, everyone in your area will know of your place, and have an opinion. And old people usually are the ones making the laws

You'll have a college crowd, and i would think that like most other businesses in a service industry, you can't really build it around just one thing, like smoking. So that means you'll have to make it a restraunt/diner/headshop w/a hookah bar on the side.

If you make it a food place as well, now you need food license, cook(s), more equipment unless you plan on making for food that you can just warm up in a microwave. Not really something i see going with a hookah bar and depending on your local laws you may or may not need a food license, which means more cost and state health inspectors. A coffee shop may or may not be the same, but i would think that for a coffee shop to do well, its not like you can just go buy a coffee pot and a couple cans of folgers. People can get that at home so you'll have to buy specialized coffee

I don't know about where you are, but here headshops are coming under file by local moral police who use the tact of if drugs are illegal how can a shop that sells paraphernalia be legal? And no matter what you say the items you sell are SUPPOSED to be used for, the local old folks in charge are going to see weed smoking tools being sold by college kids.

Do these kinds of places draw a lot of cops? I've never seen one around here, i would just think that college kids in a place with hookahs would draw a lot of attention from cops who want to make sure there is nothing illegal going on.

But ultimately it comes down to what YOU know about your area. If you see that the local hookah shop is doing well, so well in fact that they have to turn people away, then you have a need that needs to be filled.

To me a hookah bar just feels like something that is a fringe business, something like an all tofu restraunt or something. Something that if people's fickle tastes change...which they do often, that it wouldnt take much for the local hot hookah bar to drop out of favor fast.

If you're serious about opening a business, don't focus so much on a business you want to open, but look around for a business that needs to be opened in your area. What is it people are always bitching about not having, or always bitching that they have to drive far to get to.

This reminds me of when I dropped out of college to pursue my lifelong dream of opening a Brothel.

Back