Shooting on VA Tech campus

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the risk we take for living in a free society. I'm sorry you're afraid, but I don't want to live in a police state, so what do you propose be done about it? How is something like this supposed to be prevented without thought police?
Fling :D

Yeah.. the guy is right. Short of placing multiple armed guards in every room w/ clear lines of sight to every point in the room.. yeah it's gonna happen again, possibly w/ devastating numbers.

They could have improved communication to the students. But yeah, you can't stop some bat shit crazy person from getting a gun and going around in a school that big.

This is the risk we take for living in a free society. I'm sorry you're afraid, but I don't want to live in a police state, so what do you propose be done about it? How is something like this supposed to be prevented without thought police?
Fling :D

goddamnit fling stop typing your name at the end of every post

Yeah.. the guy is right. Short of placing multiple armed guards in every room w/ clear lines of sight to every point in the room.. yeah it's gonna happen again, possibly w/ devastating numbers.

Plain and simple more should be done to prevent things like this, I am not saying I have an answer nor am I saying that it's easily prevented, but I am 100% positive more can be done to prevent shootings. Currently their PLAN was :

Call 9-1-1
Hide under a desk.

Give me a fucking break, simply saying we can't do anything is total bullshit and today was a perfect example of a breakdown in bullshit action plans. You are either trolling, or a complete dumbass thinking any current system is in place that is worth a shit.

The dean shouldn't say stuff like that in public... whatever psychos are out there don't need to be told it's possible to happen again and there's nothing they can do to stop them.

Plain and simple more should be done to prevent things like this, I am not saying I have an answer nor am I saying that it's easily prevented, but I am 100% positive more can be done to prevent shootings. Currently their PLAN was :

Call 9-1-1
Hide under a desk.

Give me a fucking break, simply saying we can't do anything is total bullshit and today was a perfect example of a breakdown in bullshit action plans. You are either trolling, or a complete dumbass thinking any current system is in place that is worth a shit.

You're completely right. Where were the campus police? They should've gone in and shot the shooter down or something. If they don't have the power to do that, they should be trained for it!

within 1 month of the Dawson College shooting rampage last year in Canada there were 5 different copycat campus shootings (including the amish rampage) and school hostage takings by lone armed gunmen in both countries.

i bet some other lunatic is watching the footage right now on CNN, learning from this guy's mistakes and planning to outdo his rampage as I write this.

Call 9-1-1
Hide under a desk.

I'm not saying that what happened today was a shining example of how we should handle mass murdering people. But it's impossible to have a set plan for something as fucked up as this. Too many variables exist. Are there multiple gunmen? Does he have explosives? Do we risk the lives of others if we enter the building? Should we have students running around campus or should we confine them to their location?

Of course everyone is going to say "They locked the students into that building! Why didn't they let them go? There would be fewer deaths." Ok.. look at the flipside of that coin.. lets say the gunmen (or multiple gunmen) get on a roof or hide in bushes and kill people that way. The same people would say "Why didn't they keep the students confined inside? Why did they let them run around outside."

It's just impossible (if not impossible.. very very very hard) to custom tailor a response for every university and every part of every building for the scenario of a crazy guy w/ guns shooting people.

The dean shouldn't say stuff like that in public... whatever psychos are out there don't need to be told it's possible to happen again and there's nothing they can do to stop them.

Exactly, just what we need more people thinking they know how to assault a school, especially now that we have some psychotic fucker thinking "hey , he did it right, i'll do it even better I'll be the biggest in history"

I agree that you can't do much to stop this sorta crap, without effecting the way we live our lives.

But there are some things that can be done on the preventative side of things. I mean for someone to do this (or columbine or whatever) is means the system is failing. I am not a psychologist or an expert in this area but i am sure there are better reasons for this occuring then the usual "video games made me do it crap". And the media hype.

i don't know what to do exactly, but using poor excuses, and giving the perp a massive moment in the spotlight probably isn't helping the situation in any way.

within 1 month of the Dawson College shooting rampage last year in Canada there were 5 different copycat campus shootings (including the amish rampage) and school hostage takings by lone armed gunmen in both countries.

i bet some other lunatic is watching the footage right now on CNN, learning from this guy's mistakes and planning to outdo his rampage as I write this.

What mistakes did he make? It sounds like he killed until he ran out of ammo and then shot himself. It probably went exactly according to his fucked up plan.

Sharpshooter, I don't necessarily think you are wrong but think about this.

A lone gunman got loose and killed two people, he was NEAR campus not even on campus they got the slightest feeling that he was near VT and they closed the whole fucking school down and sent kids home/to the dorms.

Yet today, someone actually died on campus and they didn't? It dosn't make sense.

I mean for someone to do this (or columbine or whatever) is means the system is failing.
I understand what you are saying but it's just that creating a system that "works" isn't as easy as consulting John Q Smith on what should happen.

I agree w/ the dean because it's just true.. shitty things happen. They will happen for as long as humans are on the earth.

Sharpshooter, I don't necessarily think you are wrong but think about this.

A lone gunman got loose and killed two people, he was NEAR campus not even on campus they got the slightest feeling that he was near VT and they closed the whole fucking school down and sent kids home/to the dorms.

Yet today, someone actually died on campus and they didn't? It dosn't make sense.

They used their infinite wisdom to assume he just ran off. Why? I have no idea.

I agree that you can't do much to stop this sorta crap, without effecting the way we live our lives.

But there are some things that can be done on the preventative side of things. I mean for someone to do this (or columbine or whatever) is means the system is failing. I am not a psychologist or an expert in this area but i am sure there are better reasons for this occuring then the usual "video games made me do it crap". And the media hype.

i don't know what to do exactly, but using poor excuses, and giving the perp a massive moment in the spotlight probably isn't helping the situation in any way.

I don't think there is quick fix to this. people dont pick up guns and blow their heads off only because they want the spotlight. they dont know how to deal with stuff in their lives, the dont have the tools to help themselves, and that is their answer out of what they see as an inescapable problem.

I think a lot of this goes back to parents again. parents are supposed to be the ones that teach these things, but most of the parents dont have the tools themselvs, and we are so bent on babying everyone in this country so that they dont ever feel uncomfortable, never get their feelings hurt, never experience any of the lows of social interaction, that when those things inevitably happen, they are at a loss of what to do.

Code:
QUOTE=vivrant;11415178][/QUOTE

Edit, apparently Vivrant removed his idiotic link to wikipedia that said this was the biggest slaughter in american history...]

Waco had over 90 casualties; men women and children were all burned alive by the Army after the BATF failed to peacefully.serve an illegal, improperly filled out warrant for a gun search. They leader of the Branch Davidians, having relations with the sheriff, basically invited them in to search; he didn't want any trouble.

BATF fired into the building first, which is something their own video's showed, and while they were firing .22's and 9mm's, the Davidians were firing 50 cals and 45 magnums back. The davidians took 2 casualties, BATF took 7, 5 of which died.

The BATF made another major mistake; they continued firing until they were out of ammunition. The branch davidians, still having a bunch of ammo as well as cover, allowed them to retreat.

Turned into a 90 day or so standoff, finally the army came in, rammed two sections of the building, filled it with white phosphorus (which melts skin BTW), then lit it afire with tracer rounds.

They had 24 hour spin coverage on that one for about a week if memory serves.

Wow.. i don't even know where to start with this bullshit.. first off Waco only had 79 Casualties; The Branch Davidians didn't sit there and go "oh please mr. atf agents, come on in" they took up offensive positions from the start after word got out that a raid was coming after a reporter tipped of a usps carrier who happened to be david koreshs brother in law. Then a gun battle ensued, until a ceasefire was reached, during this initial battle.. 2 ATF agents died, not 5, 5 Branch Davidians died, a 6th when he tried to reenter the compound later in the evening while pointing a glock 19 at atf agents. The only "army" involvement in the whole thing was the FBI used loaned CEV (Combat Engineering Vehicles, basically uparmored Catapillars.. not no tanks) to knock down outbuildings, and later on to knock holes into the walls of the compound to pump cs gas into. They also used Psych Ops in the use of playing heavily distorted music constantly 24/7.

Secondly.. if the "army" was to use WP.. they wouldn't need tracers round to lite it afire.. WP burns naturally, and its not meant to "melt skin" it simply burns through everything and anything. Secondly, if we wanted to take them out in that fashion, theres much easier ways to do it...

But please keep filling us in on more of your lovely wisdom...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back