[retirement thread] How old do you REALLY want to be?

my moms parents are still alive in their 80s and very healthy.
my dads parents both died but lived into their late 80s.
I've had a lot of relatives in their 90's and one great aunt over 100 so i think i'll live pretty long.

As for retirement. I can't imagine retiring. Maybe I wouldn't do the exact same job as I plan on doing till I retire, but maybe start consulting or something. I don't understand how people can do nothing. Its so painfully boring.

My fiancee's grandpa is like 80 and he still goes to work at his daughters bakery every day. he pretty much says "i'll work till I can't work anymore. What do I look like? some kind of bum?"

I think NEEDING to work when you're 70 or 80 would be brutal, but if you're already financially set I'd even be happy being that old man at a hardware store just talking to the randoms that come in on how to best put together their project.

I'm gonna retire in 5 years. Retire at least in the sense of being a wage slave. Not sure what i'll do then, kids will still be in school, but I sure as fuck won't be playing golf. Been there. Probably a lot of travelling while we're still young enough. Fuck the 9-5 crap, it's vastly overrated as a source of income.

ppl that say they can't imagine doing nothing need to get a life or hobbies

if i didnt have to work i would never ever work another day in my life

ppl that say they can't imagine doing nothing need to get a life or hobbies

if i didnt have to work i would never ever work another day in my life

a fucking men

if i could retire i'd do it, then spend the next 20 with family, having kids, being with parents, etc etc
then go off and do shit (more so) for me
obv i'd have to win the lotto

millions of dollars at my fingers
i'd hire a hitman to kill everyone on tw

Soon as I turn 62 of course that is till Goshin wins the lotto...

Got a lot in PH already. Plan on 1/2 year each year but whatever suits my fancy is what it will be.

The thing is, you don't hear about people traveling the world when they win lotto. Old people go on cruise ships, but the demographics are changing to a more younger crowd.

My parents are 77, still going strong, dad consults for the radio industry, stays home playing the stock market. He went to a major convention last week in Branson MO. My grandmother was in her 80s and still flying to visit us down here in Florida. She was a nurse at the end.

I plan on working, because I would bounce off the walls, and it seems that people who drive motor homes around the country get bored with it unless you really want to see everything. Driving is a PITA. A 3-4 day road trip, yeah, but a month? No way.

Death panels and cancer are how the government wants to snuff out the old people. I think they'll raise the retirement age to 70 and then keep raising it.

Last edited:
The thing is, you don't hear about people traveling the world when they win lotto. Old people go on cruise ships, but the demographics are changing to a more younger crowd.

My parents are 77, still going strong, dad consults for the radio industry, stays home playing the stock market. He went to a major convention last week in Branson MO. My grandmother was in her 80s and still flying.

I plan on working, because I would bounce off the walls, and it seems that people who drive motor homes around the country get bored with it unless you really want to see everything. Driving is a PITA, I'd get bored with it.

Death panels and cancer are how the government wants to snuff out the old people. I think they'll raise the retirement age to 70 and then keep raising it.

most people are stupid
give me 30 million and i'll buy one house/compound, and then just rent the world over when i'm some place
even renting for 3 months in x location is cheaper than buying something there
different countries, learn different languages/cultures and relax with mom and dad before they die

Yeah I can find shitloads to do that's better than going to the office. As long a i'm not a dribbling incontinent wreck it's easy. Which is why i'm retiring at 55 instead of 70.

I want to live forever. But only as long as I have all my faculties.

Realistically, I expect to make it to my mid-70s. I'm healthy and have a family history of long life. Both of my grandmothers are still alive and kicking. One is 96, the other just turned 80.

I used to think I'd die young as well and be happy with the choice. The trouble is when the time draws closer you don't really want to go. Most will live out their days the best they can and go quietly, playing whatever death card they are dealt.

Back