Remove the radar

antareus

Tribal Survivor
Veteran X
T:V can do without the radar.

The problem is the extensive coverage of the sensors at times replaces the fine qualities that we call "situational awareness," or rather the ability for an LD (or anyone else) to keep sane and focus on defending the flag while having two people mortar spam the vicinity. It definitely separates good LD from the great LD, and I am sad to see it de-emphasized in favor of a nice 2D screen that you can watch to see incoming enemies and watch for the fastest blip on the radar. The radar's coverage is enough that you can watch multiple directions well -- too well.

I like that it makes the sensor something you want to protect. And I can't offer a secondary role for the sensor, I'll leave that to you guys.

Additionally, it is such a pain in the ass on pubs. It literally lets you see over hills to see people on the other side. Since you can't go out of bounds, you will typically run behind a base or towards the edge of the map to set up a cap or meet someone. Last night Bri and I were testing out a bug and it tooks us ten minutes to even attempt it twice because we'd appear on the edge of the enemies radar and some idiot would come out and start dueling us.

Not to mention you can see exactly where the flag is. I like that, but the T2 flag finder was more intuitive. I'd rather be able to see friendly indicators straight through walls or terrain, or at least the flag carrier (along with health). However, the problem with the T2 flag finder is the carrier being sniped from afar. I really think this is closer to a non-issue on T:V because:

* this occurs most often on pubs, which by definition are going to suck
* the maps are smaller
* the rifle is ammo based
* you can see more of the map at once than you could in T2
* team sizes are smaller (if only the beta servers would try this out)

It is also a lot easier to hit a stand/dropped flag when you don't have to glance up at the radar but instead just aim for it.

lets see... Hmmm... blow up the sensor immediately before a cap attempt?

Team coordination, team play, multiple roles for multiple people... heard of em?

Capping is not supposed to be about who can yank the flag out by themselves, the entire team is supposed to be working toward that goal. If the Sensornet is all that prevents you from reliably capping, you aren't applying your HO and LO in the right way.

I dont like the radar much either, but there are like 10 other things that id rather see removed/changed before the radar.

You can still cap with enemy sensors up, wich is a good thing. I dont want to have to be depending on team mates just so i can get my own job done.

Quaduce said:
I dont want to have to be depending on team mates just so i can get my own job done.
Cappers have always depended on others. You need your HO to blow base/deployable turrets and kill HoFs, your LO to clear/distract LD...

And you need your own LD and HoF to keep YOUR RAG at home so you can cap, as well as your HD and LD to keep the base up so you can suit up quick.

If you think you've EVER not depended on someone else in Tribes competition (or even pub play for the most part) than you really need to rethink your position.

Don't like the radar? Move it offscreen or delete it. Then you can have all the "situational awareness" you want without forcing your style of play upon others.

Don't like the other team seeing you? Disable their sensor.

Problems solved.

i agree with LouCypher. on another note, this is TOO much complaining. people are complaining about EVERY little thing that happens. every strategy that's being used, people want to get rid of. NOw with the radar, they want it gone. with T2, there was absolutely NO skill involved with flag chasing, i HATED how people were sniped from afar because they were a giant flag icon on the screen. also, flag running was nerfed because people could no longer hide behind things to let pursuers go by, etc. its time to go back to the old way of tribes. now the sensor has an actual funtion, GOOD. just let it be.

Additionally, it is such a pain in the ass on pubs. It literally lets you see over hills to see people on the other side. Since you can't go out of bounds, you will typically run behind a base or towards the edge of the map to set up a cap or meet someone. Last night Bri and I were testing out a bug and it tooks us ten minutes to even attempt it twice because we'd appear on the edge of the enemies radar and some idiot would come out and start dueling us.
What you want to bet this "annoyance" is what prompted the thread?

Amadeu5 said:
This is one of the few threads that I clicked on but didn't read.
Thank you for your valuable input, we really needed to know that. Take your garbage posting elsewhere.

i agree with LouCypher. on another note, this is TOO much complaining.
Ah. In the future I shall ask "Hell Phoenix" before posting anything that might be considered complaining. Because, we all know, he is the ultimate arbiter of the amount of complaining. I specifically addressed your points, too.

What you want to bet this "annoyance" is what prompted the thread?
I'll bet about the same amount that I'd bet that you're discussing something entirely irrelevant to the subject at hand.

Don't like the radar? Move it offscreen or delete it. Then you can have all the "situational awareness" you want without forcing your style of play upon others.
Wee bit vengeful are we? I much prefer the feeling of blind paranoia that T1 LD was and having to look around for the flag carrier when trying to return my team's flag. I prefer a steeper learning curve, however, and the lack of a radar contributes to that.

Yes, I know you can kill the radar, thank you for telling me that, but T:V would be more intense without it.

They wont do it. Trust me on this one. And I agree with you, I think being able to see the whole fucking playing field and flag carriers at all times is the stupidest shit ever. But once again, they're making the game idiot friendly.

KillerONE said:
Remove Gens while you're at it.

Maybe we can make it JUST like UT for ya.

Uh, no, like T1 where it took actual awareness and skill to deal with incoming/finding enemy flag carrier. The map is fine, but the sensor should only work so far, like it has in the previous tribes games. It is far too easy to deal with an incoming capper as it stands right now.

antareus said:
Thank you for your valuable input, we really needed to know that. Take your garbage posting elsewhere.
Okay, we'll go over it just for you.

1. You are entitled to have an opinion
2. You are also entitled to express said opinion
3. You are not entitled to request the complete removal of a major feature in the game because you don't like it. Well, technically you are, but it won't get you anywhere.
4. Because it won't get you anywhere, you usually don't waste numerous paragraphs on something that will have no effect whatsoever.

Next time you could start with a friendlier thread name (for a start). You might also want to suggest changes to the feature in hand instead of asking for its removal. Now you only have to get rid of the small logical glitches, and a dev might consider telling you why it won't happen.

uhh the radar does exactly the same thing as the command map in T1 (except you don't need deployable pulse sensors), you just have it in front of you all the time. I don't see the big problem

Back