Purchasing a new TV (Plasma or LCD?)

To help out instead of being worthless:

If you decide Plasma: Panasonic or Pioneer.

If you decide LCD: Sony or Samsung.

LCD will probably last longer, Plasma will probably look a little better.
LCD if you plan on using it as a computer monitor, either is great if you just want to play a console.

LCD and plasma generally have the same Panel life, about 22-25 years depending on brand.

LCD and plasma generally have the same Panel life, about 22-25 years depending on brand.

I'll defer to your experience, but they used to tell me that the brightness on a plasma would degrade faster than on an LCD. Now this information came from a bunch of useless lying fucks that didn't know their assholes from a hole in the ground, but that's the line they told me to feed people to get them to buy a TV.

Also, because I need some validation from internet strangers, what do you think of the TV I just got?

Samsung is the shit, I have a 32' LCD. My father has a 40' plasma (don't recall the company, but my Samsung blows it out of the water.

I'll defer to your experience, but they used to tell me that the brightness on a plasma would degrade faster than on an LCD. Now this information came from a bunch of useless lying fucks that didn't know their assholes from a hole in the ground, but that's the line they told me to feed people to get them to buy a TV.

Also, because I need some validation from internet strangers, what do you think of the TV I just got?

well at the time they probably weren't telling you lies, plasma used to be alot worse than it is now.

also, what TV did you get?

PreferredPhoto.com - Sony KDl-46XBR4, 46-Inch Bravia XBR LCD TV

Sony KDl-46XBR4, 46-Inch Bravia XBR LCD TV

$2268.00 Shipped

Are those 5 year plans worth it from Repair Tech? $349.00

that price seems too good to be true

if you buy the tv from a non authorized reseller, you won't have the warranty.

Overall Customer Satisfaction Rating
Six-Month Rating: 1.82 / 10
Six-Month Reviews: 99
Lifetime Reviews: 647

Lifetime Rating: 1.19 / 10 All Stores Avg.: 7.50
Expand

The main reason I went for a projection, besides the fact that I'm cheap (and that was an important consideration) was because I'm stuck with a built in entertainment center in my wall. I could have gone plasma, but I couldn't have saved space by hanging it because of the hole in my wall, and I really needed 60 inches to fill the fucker.

I got it for $1699, didn't buy the extended warranty, but I figure that I saved enough to pay for my first couple of bulbs.

The main reason I went for a projection, besides the fact that I'm cheap (and that was an important consideration) was because I'm stuck with a built in entertainment center in my wall. I could have gone plasma, but I couldn't have saved space by hanging it because of the hole in my wall, and I really needed 60 inches to fill the fucker.

I got it for $1699, didn't buy the extended warranty, but I figure that I saved enough to pay for my first couple of bulbs.

yeah, thats another drawback i forgot about, average bulb life at 6 hours of viewing time per day is about 3 years give or take.

and bulbs run about 50-60 bucks for a good one.

Last edited:
alright kids, im off to bed, if you have any more questions just PM me and i'll answer in the morning, i could talk TV's all day and never get bored.

yeah, thats another drawback i forgot about, average bulb life at 6 hours of viewing time per day is about 3 years give or take.

and bulbs run about 50-60 bucks for a good one.

Holy shit, when I was selling TVs the bulbs were like $200.

I'd have never sold an extended warranty if the bulbs were that cheap. Oh well, more penance for my guilty soul to do.

Back