Purchasing a new TV (Plasma or LCD?)

slut

Veteran XV
Should i go for plasma or lcd? Im looking around 46 to 52 inch for my room. Im looking to spend no more than 3K. Which models are good? I saw a sony Sony KDL-46XBR4 lcd at circuit city and it looked better than their plasmas selections. But i dont know much about this stuff, thats why im asking. Can anyone recommend me some lcd or plasma models that are very good?

Thanks

get the th50PZ700

no burn in, also it's broken in at the factory with 100 hours
100k hour half life
latest generation
incredible color

Last edited:
imo LCD > Plasma. I own both and overall LCD has been a better experience. First of all, LCD runs great as a computer screen and a tv without any concern about burn-in. The tv set itself weighs far less than a plasma. My 40" lcd only weighs 32 lbs. Plasma's get extremely hot in comparison to LCD's. I can actually feel heat coming off the screen from about a foot away. If you have a lot of light coming in the room the plasma will give off a bad glare. The good things about plasma are that the colors are a bit richer than the lcd but far from a big margin. I went through 4 xbr2's with cloudy issues and finally switched to a Samsung 61 series which also has some cloudy issues. Basically lcd's are going to have some cloudy issues regardless of which you get. I have seen a few flawless sets but they are hard as hell to find. But in the end lcd > plasma.

LCD if you like a nice crisp sharp picture.

Plasma if you like Viewing Angles

LCD if you like a Glare Free Screen

Plasma if you like more Colors

LCD if you play games

Plasma if you prefer burn in.

I have an lcd, dlp, and a plasma and I like the plasma the best. everyone that visits agrees Panny Plasma ftw.
Edit:and I had my 360 on the plasma with crackdown running overnight (accidentally) and have no burn in.
so you have at least 10 hours before burn in.
edit2: and my Dell LCD does have a "lego starwars" emblem burned in from a shitty screensaver. fwiw

Last edited:
I hate sony stuff. they used to be good, but are pretty much crap now.

I like LCD, plasma has a better viewing angle (supposedly, but I had a hard time in the stores trying to confirm this) but from my experience just about everything else goes to LCD. People will tell you both ways, so look for yourself at a store at the display models.

LCD or the latest panasonic plasmaif you like a nice crisp sharp picture.

Plasma if you like Viewing Angles

LCD or the latest panasonic plasma with anti-glare coatingif you like a Glare Free Screen

Plasma if you like more Colors

LCD or the latest panasonic plasmaif you play games

Plasma if you prefer burn in.burn in no longer an issue with the latest panasonics

I hate sony stuff. they used to be good, but are pretty much crap now.

I like LCD, plasma has a better viewing angle (supposedly, but I had a hard time in the stores trying to confirm this) but from my experience just about everything else goes to LCD. People will tell you both ways, so look for yourself at a store at the display models.

Sony Bravia looks fucking delicious compared to other TV's dont see how you can say its crap.

get the th50PZ700

no burn in, also it's broken in at the factory with 100 hours
100k hour half life
latest generation
incredible color

i saw that one at circuit city and i thought the lcd looked a little bit better. I dunno.

LCD, many of the manufacturers are moving away from Plasma and focusing more onto LCD and OLEDs (Sony for example stopped production a year or so back.)

Back